Home General Discussion

Scrolls (Mojang)

polycounter
Offline / Send Message
Stinger88 polycounter
Anyone playing it?

I've started getting interested in CCG's lately and was thinking about buying the new Magic game. But saw this was out and got it instead. I think its awesome so far and its still Beta. I'd like to find out what more experienced CCG'ers think of it.

anyhoo. check it out

https://scrolls.com

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDOXyzLBvdU"]? WTF Is... - Scrolls ? (Beta) - YouTube[/ame]

Replies

• moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    I am - name is moosebot. I honestly hated it for my first 10 games or so, by only doing AI matches. Started having fun playing against other people.

Never played any TCGs, have been slowly, slowly learning.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Looks fun from the wtf is, but I need to see more complete games.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    A 12$ freemium game? Holy balls, that's a nasty one.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    TeeJay wrote: »
    Bought it, hated it, asked for refund, didn't get one.

Admittedly I didn't do much research before I bought the game, I kinda just picked it up based on it being a Mojang game.

I usually like card-battle games, but this one just bored the heck out of me. I played 'growth' or whatever it's called and it was just a yawnfest with too much reliance on RNG. One match I'd be mindlessly battling for half an hour, then the next I'd get steamrolled in 5 minutes.

Then I found out it has a real-money shard system and couldn't believe I just paid £12 for what should be a freemium title.

The art isn't even very good in my opinion.

Serves me right for not researching before I buy!

Makes me more excited for that new Blizzard effort though.

I picked Growth too. I so wish I hadn't... every so often I get in a game where literally all of the right cards are in my hand at the right time, but most of the time its a shitshow and everyone else is much more powerful and "cooler" than my dudes. There have been so many occasions where the opposing side has the entire board filled of sweet looking knight dudes in fucking rad armor, and I have two scraggly ass wolves that are doomed to die in 2 hits because all i have available are cards that deal 1 damage to everyone (yay when you have units with 1hp) or a structure that'd be destroyed as soon as you lay it down.

Learned you don't want to buy single cards from the store, save up for the 1k gold packs. AI matches are stupid, they cheat, have tons of cards, when you have jack squat to start. Player matches are a little more fun, because at least then you're on semi-equal ground.
  • AtlusZMH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like it.

I will say that the $20 price tag seems a bit harsh for an early beta. The card selection isn't anything to write home about, but the deck types seem balanced and it can get surprisingly strategic.

I play MTG, but I wouldn't say that you need to be a crazy TCGer to understand this game. A lot of the strategy is placement of units/the hexboard, rather than card synergies and luck.

As for the shards you can buy. You don't need to pay money to get any cards in the game. You can buy anything with gold you earn while playing. Shards are only for buying aesthetic things, preconstructed decks, or a rotating selection of cards weekly. Buying "Boosters" and single random cards can only be bought with gold.

Overall, i'm pretty impressed with it, I just think it should be a bit cheaper in its current iteration.

My name on there is AtlasZMH btw
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Ace-Angel wrote: »
    A 12$ freemium game? Holy balls, that's a nasty one.

freemium isn't accurate, there are three types of things you can buy, a cosmetic player icon, a prebuilt starter pack for one of the 3 factions, and up to 6 random cards every week.

The prebuilt packs are $5 and you get one of the 3 when you start the game. Definitely not pay to win with those. You can buy a pack with 5000 in game gold, which you'd earn after ~8 hours of playing.

The 6 random cards are randomly selected for you, and they stay up for a week, there's 2 common, 2 uncommon, 2 rare. Those cards cost ~$.25, ~$.50, and ~$1.00 respectively. These random cards can be bought with the in game currency as well, for 100, 500, or 1000 gold, which you can get about 1000 gold in 1.5 hours playing pvp. So you can play for an hour or 2 to get those "pay to win cards"

Most of your cards come from booster packs that you can only buy with in game currency, the 10 card booster pack is 1000 and guarantees some uncommons and rares.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    I'm on eldrone on there!

Scrolls presents the opportunity to buy a few things with real money but as an important choice it's not a freemium or pay to win title, the core of the game is made to use your in-game currency to expand your library and thus is sold with a once-off price.

In its current released beta form it has a ton of features already but many remaining to be implemented, so more is coming!

Current patch have players start out with a 2000 gold so they can buy the equalent of two boosters to get a taste of the deck-building early on, from that it's pretty easy to get gold from matches.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Yeah the extent of the real currency purchases are very limited, they have no advantage over players that don't spend extra money on the game, the only people that have an edge are the ones that play more, or have played longer.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    ^^ You feel ripped off because you don't like the game. If you liked the game would you still feel ripped off? I feel like its easy worth $20

Its a CCG not an epic sprawling 3d world with loads of bloom and lens flare. I'm paying for the mechanics of the game and unique system it uses, The "Hex board and card game mix".

Graphics wise I would like it all the same if it were simple "card" art with no animation. Like this image, which I believe is the current state of the android version that they are working on. And i'll probably buy that as well.

pQQqd.png
  • joeriv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    Are there enough cards to keep you playing/keep it interesting or after 3-4 boosters/packs do you already hit that "I have all the cards except for 3-4 rares" feeling.

I have a bit of a weakness for these types of games, and it's basicly the cost of a draft in mtgo, so probably gonna try it out soon anyway.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    I got into this. I'm envart. Picked growth too. :( played a decent amount. About to be able to use my stored up coins for a new deck. Wish the new cards came randomly after playing games instead of just after earning enough coins. But whatever. Fun game once you learn that it's super hard and unforgiving.

It's like Hero Academy and a CCG rolled into one.
  • venain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    venain polycounter lvl 12
    Enjoying this game quite a bit. Whats wrong with growth? I picked this deck and have been having a good time with it, the starter deck needed some tweaking, but I like the concept! I'm not sure if its already possible or not, but I hope they add a way to trade cards with other people
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    ^^ yes. I believe we will be able to trade. TB right clicks on the player names in the video above and a trade option appears.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    growth is very fast, and the only resource with haste creatures in it!
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Growth is actually getting better the more I play with it. I am debating about which starter deck to buy when I get the monies. Super close to the 6500 gold. That or just get a bunch of randoms I guess. I would like to get some rat creatures or build a whole deck of wolves.
  • zicoV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just got this and I say its well worth the 15 euros.

Picked enegry and i'm just starting to get the hang of it.
    Never been a big fan of strategy games but this one seems pretty easy to get into.

My name is zicoV if anyone want to play a match. (I'm still terrible though)
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
  • FullSynch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FullSynch polycounter lvl 11
    Just got it today, username Fullsynch, I picked growth which must have been patched recently because it kinda kicks ass and people are claiming op in general chat. I'm having a lot of fun, it's just the kind of game I was looking for. :)

I've been buying single cards up till now, think I'll start saving for boosters after reading this thread.
  • 3DFM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv wrote: »
    Are there enough cards to keep you playing/keep it interesting or after 3-4 boosters/packs do you already hit that "I have all the cards except for 3-4 rares" feeling.

Not really. I chose to play as growth, played for about 30 minutes, bought a few random cards with my starter gold and it turns out I've got all but one of the growth cards.

Fun little game I guess, but theres nothing to strive for really.
  • DarthBotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthBotto polycounter lvl 10
    eld wrote: »
    I'm on eldrone on there!

Scrolls presents the opportunity to buy a few things with real money but as an important choice it's not a freemium or pay to win title, the core of the game is made to use your in-game currency to expand your library and thus is sold with a once-off price.

In its current released beta form it has a ton of features already but many remaining to be implemented, so more is coming!

Current patch have players start out with a 2000 gold so they can buy the equalent of two boosters to get a taste of the deck-building early on, from that it's pretty easy to get gold from matches.

Have you assisted with the development on this game, Eld?