Home General Discussion

Turkey, protests against the prime minister and the government

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
EmAr polycounter lvl 18
Hello people of polycount,

This is not related to games nor art. If this gets deleted I won't open a new thread about this. I'm writing just to let you know for I know this is a humane community of people who love to absorb information from around the world.

As many of you already know, there are protests in Turkey, my country, against the current government and their oppressive/harmful policies which affect all areas of our lives.

The government has their roots deep in fundamentalism and they are also mostly hand-picked, cheap and shallow people who would do anything to get more power/money. Destroying natural areas, incredibly high tax rates, rigged elections, prisoned journalists, oppressed minorities, you name it. The rest of the government senators lack the courage to vote anything down in the parliament. The government party also constitutes the majority of the parliament. Thus, they can pass whatever law they want almost instantly. Then the laws get inspected by the president(who is supposed to be independent from the government). But guess what, he was also a member of the government party before getting elected as the president of the republic.

So, we are protesting and as you can guess, we are confronted with badly educated, violent police forces. Shooting gas canisters directly at people(many people have lost one eye since the protests began, some got killed by the police), driving their vehicles into protesting crowds, beating un-armed, civilian protesters with police/protester ratios up to 20 to 1.

It gets worse because the prime minister approaches the protests like a dictator. He claimed that he can and will do whatever he wants to do. He is doing all he can to provoke the protesters and a short period of time after his first reactions to the protests, he left the country. He went for a north Africa trip only to get rejected by many politicians and business people because of his attitude against the citizens.

If you would like a more detailed report of the current situation, you can watch the Young Turks video:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcT6-0Cz-RI"]PM Of Turkey Blames Protests On... - YouTube[/ame]

If you like CNN better:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptfuwpbxJfE"]CNN International - Protests Spread in Turkey - GeziPark Istanbul - Taksim - YouTube[/ame]

Also, I'm posting the videos and photos I shot like many other people. Normally, I'd be scared to even go there but it is more difficult to stay home when these are taking place. We also learned how to deal with tear gas, it's like a class-based multiplayer game. We have some "throwers" who throw back the gas bombs, some build barricades so the crowds can gather behind them, there are healers who spray proper medicine solutions into your eyes, more experienced folks are there to even save you when you shout "I can't open my eyes!"/"I can't walk.". Finally, some folks like me shoot videos. Here are the videos/photos I shot:

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0ADtH-fWsMM_Sji7M47rcw

This is one of the more descriptive videos I shot(3:26 was probably the most scary time of my life):

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80kG7LHqP9U"]03.06.2013 15:30 - 16:30 K?z?lay Ankara - YouTube[/ame]

Thanks for reading/watching. People are shouting "Government, resign!" as I'm typing these words in the next street.

Replies

• seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    scary stuff man, I don't pretend to understand fully what's going on in Turkey right now but as one polycounter to another stay safe and come out of the other side in one piece.
  • Kevin Albers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Albers polycounter lvl 18
    It's very brave of you to be participating in the protests by taking videos. I hope you are being as careful as possible, and have thought about the risks involved.

Best of luck to you and to the people of Turkey.
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks, of course I act as careful as I can. I hide behind the large trees/cars when I hear the gas bomb shooting sounds, stay away from the vehicles as much as I can, never stay alone on the street, always look around etc.

I actually choose relatively safe places and times as this is my first time doing this. Some experienced people stay on the streets in the night too so the protests can go on the day after without interruption:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdOSb6VJky8"]Bir FPS Oyuncusunun Gözünden Gaz Bombas? - YouTube[/ame]
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i hope you and yours are all safe and sound, and that this protest leads to the change you deserve.

above all else, stay safe man. you can't help your country be a better place if something happens to you.
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    Wow, you're actually out there filming stuff? Be careful, Emre. From what I've seen from videos and pics these policemen seem to be pretty damn scary(as all nitwits with weapons are). Here is hoping for a change and that something good comes out of these protests.
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    I have some acquaintances in Istanbul which are also in the thick of it right now.. You guys have my solidarity and best wishes!
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks again guys.

Yes, I film stuff because in the beginning, nothing was shown by the local media. They chose to hide it as their bosses were told to by the government. We tried to spread the news with our own videos through facebook, twitter etc. Many people made live streams through their smart phones too.

Some TV channels apologized for their attitude and started making stories about police brutality etc. but I don't think any of us will take them seriously ever again.
  • kipiripi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kipiripi polycounter lvl 17
    Yes Emar I was in there too.
    You said 'its not art' at the top of the thread but it was.it is surviving and its pure freedome ART.
    Kipiripi is in same place with you and other brothers.
    it was harsh days and nights but we gonna see bright lights soon I hope...

-Blackkkkkkk :)
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    -Whiiite :)

Yes, it's true it's art.

On a side note, this black-white thing is very interesting too. We have this sports fan organization named "
  • Hristo Rusanov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hristo Rusanov polycounter lvl 7
    Be careful dude and i hope something good comes out of this!

Btw i read that 15 or so people were arrested because of Twitter.This is ridiculous if its true.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    Turkey has accomplished so much, it's really bad when you see how journalists are treated and how the conservatives try to push their small town islamistic agenda onto everyone's life. I hope you guys get the freedoms you deserve.

Good luck!
  • EmAr
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    I so feel your pain man.

Having been in the same kind of circumstances the only thing I came learning all too well from it is that none of those arrogant egocentric assholes are worth getting hurt over.

I know that it's the worst kind of feeling when you can see injustice and you don't step up to stop it. So you do. But you stay safe. And whenever there is some real danger you get away immediately. It's not your fault that the country is fucked. You don't have to suffer for it. There are enough places in the world where people live without that kind of struggle. So work your ass off and move away.

It's gonna be super hard but at the end of the day don't let the country you were born in determine how you are going to die. It's not important and it's not who you are and you always have a choice for a better life.

I remember thinking about sticking a knife in between the ribs of a fucking police pig amidst all the commotion. It just hurt me so bad to watch the things they did. But that's the easy way out. The hard is sticking out, working hard and having a long happy life far from all of that.

So stay safe bro. Your art will get you through.
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks for the words Andrew, it really means a lot since I know how similar these are to what happened in your homeland. You are spot on about the feelings.

Luckily, I am supported by many friends and my whole family. I don't need anything more than the patience to improve myself.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Is there anything we can do in other countries to support you?
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    You can wish us luck! I don't know what else you can do. I don't know what I can do either at this point. The last tweet by Benjamin Harvey sums it up in a sense:
    Benjamin Harvey ‏@BenjaminHarvey
    CNN: Many Turks are watching us now because they don't trust the media in their own country.

We can't trust the government, the police, the media...
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    Good luck from Israel!

I hope ull be able to use the chaos in the area and topple the regime, Turkey has many resources and influences from the west to promote awareness and courage in its people. But, on the other hand, so does the involvement of the government with the west. I hardly believe it will be foolish enough to repeat the mistakes of other more totalitarian regimes (e.g. Syria, Egypt, etc.), being so publicly exposed.
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks shotgun. I hope this thing ends as soon as possible with the least violent way :/