Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Monthly Noob Challenge 8

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
Welcome to the Monthly Noob Challenge 8!

JSpJ6P3.jpg

RULES:

Please read all the rules.

This may seem like it's pretty complicated, and if you are starting out it can be overwhelming, so take it piece by piece. This can be broken down into a segments. Think about what will be unique, what will be tiled, what kinda textures you'll need to make, just plan before you go. Set your standards high for your work, do your best.

PLEASE look at the ref, and work hard to get the blockout right. Take your time before you dive into it and plan, this will make your life easier.

All that matters is that you learn and give and get advice and are willing to be critiqued.

So here are the specific rules:

Must make your own textures, no stealing, we can't keep you from it, but the goal is to learn, even tileables, I mean you can take someone else's image and make it tileable, that's fine.

You must use a game engine OBVIOUSLY. UDK or Cryengine will probably be the most used.

You must try your best and finish as much as you can in this month.

Post what you are working on in this thread so that way it's a more centralized place for advice and critique and we don't have 1000 disjointed threads littering the forums.

Well that's about it, if you think the rules should be changed let us know.

I would strongly encourage you to go and look at other games and see how they make their assets as well as get concept art to give it your own feel, but it must stay very close to the concept, if not super close.

Please stay away from Ddo, yeah, it's great if you know what you're doing, and for a production pipeline supplement, but other than that, please don't use it. Ndo2 is allowed. This was talked about in the other thread, please don't complain.

Have fun!

PS: I am extremely familiar with Cryengine and can answer probably any question you happen to have when using it. Furthermore ask anything to anyone here, combined there is a wealth of knowledge. Cryedev is a massive source of knowledge as well.

PSSSS:
OPEN TO EVERYONE!

GOOD LUCK

Replies

• AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Read through the last page or who of comments on this thread. http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=121356&page=4
  • LANKUS MAXIMUS
    Happy to hear you are very familiar with the cryengine.

I aim to use this month to get to grips with it :)
  • shosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme , if you could point me to a maya - cryengine cloth tutorial (creation in maya, seting up in cryengine) i would be gratefull
    Thanks and good fun everybody

Btw, i'm in :D
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shosh wrote: »
    AlexCatMasterSupreme , if you could point me to a maya - cryengine cloth tutorial (creation in maya, seting up in cryengine) i would be gratefull
    Thanks and good fun everybody

Btw, i'm in :D

Sorry, I could make one for max.I use maya and max but I prefer the max exporter.
  • Mischievous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mischievous polycounter lvl 6
    Think it's about time I go out of hiding and attempt one of these challenges... Oh, also what would consider as my own texture? Can I use a site like CG textures and make my own timetables from their source images, or something more advanced, like model a high poly mesh in Zbrush and paint it?
  • joshschmitt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joshschmitt polycounter lvl 11
    @Mischievous

Yes you can use Cgtextures, in fact a lot of companies use cgtextures. Just take the images and change them to suite your needs.
  • LANKUS MAXIMUS
    A Max to Cryengine cloth tutorial would be awesome.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A Max to Cryengine cloth tutorial would be awesome.

I'll see if I have time tonight. I remember the first time I tried to get that thing going, it was not fun.
  • LANKUS MAXIMUS
    No worries. If and when you can, it will be a huge help.

Yeah, been a bit confusing but now that I've got the Max exporter tool on the go it seems really efficient. Just gonna go find myself a basic Max - CE3 pipeline tutorial.

I've been hoping and requesting for months that 3DMotive would provide something on CE3 basics.
  • Baron Flame
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baron Flame polycounter lvl 12
    Wasn't able to go beyond the in-engine blockout stage last time. No excuses though, let's see how much am I able to do this time.
    Good luck everyone.
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    Good luck guys, I'll be skipping this one though.
  • LANKUS MAXIMUS
    @ m4dcow.

Tis a shame to hear that sir. I really enjoyed following your Escape entry :)

All the best to you with your next project..
  • NickT3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This will be my first one. I need to start building some more environment stuff to fill out my portfolio.

I like the concept for this month a lot.
  • sulkyrobot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sulkyrobot triangle
    Thought I'd have a go after bottling out of the last one I tried.

GssO0Oo.jpg

Quickly started in Maya and now thinking I've got the proportions a little off. :/
  • LANKUS MAXIMUS
    Nice Block-in.

I think it works well, maybe reduce the height of the walkway and gate a bit?
  • sevndaythry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sevndaythry polycounter lvl 6
    Since I'm not using the characters I decided to play with the concept a bit.

preproconceptmod.jpg

And here is my texture plan.

preprotexlayout.jpg
  • alexanderjuarez
    First time participating, here is my initial breakdown...

7dhglfo.jpg

Good luck to everyone!
  • LANKUS MAXIMUS
    @sevndaythry

Nice paint-over. Cool to see the scene without the characters. The signage works well.
  • shosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @alexanderjuarez
    Nice, but you forgot the tons of decals and the huge signs that "tell the story" ;)
    Have fun doing this!
  • alexanderjuarez
    @shosh

Don't worry it will be there, I was just focusing on the important things for the breakdown, I know what details I want to add that will help tell the story just did't want to spend too much time on concepting it out as I want to start modeling already, anyways here was some things I added... it also won't say zombies in the end, I was just lazy and there will be definitely more in the end.

CuauAsP.jpg
  • LANKUS MAXIMUS
    Looking good people :)

Quick sketch to figure out some idea's i had on extending the scene further, using the modular set. Victim/notice boards and some contaminant mask bins in an assembly-like area. The standard body bag lines and hopefully a few low-poly rats...

lastofussketch.jpg

We'll all have decal-fever by the end of this month :poly142:

Breakdown and Block-In tomorrow.

...Cannot wait for this game. Got my Joel edition pre-ordered :poly124:
  • alexanderjuarez
    Looking good people :)

Quick sketch to figure out some idea's i had on extending the scene further, using the modular set. Victim/notice boards and some contaminant mask bins in an assembly-like area. The standard body bag lines and hopefully a few low-poly rats...

lastofussketch.jpg

We'll all have decal-fever by the end of this month :poly142:

Breakdown and Block-In tomorrow.

...Cannot wait for this game. Got my Joel edition pre-ordered :poly124:

This looks awesome, great job!
  • LANKUS MAXIMUS
    Cheers dude :)

After i went to London and played the demo in a creepy cinema, i fell in love with the game.

I was gonna have a crack at this concept as a fan-piece at some point. Well happy it's been chosen for the challenge :)
  • spire8989
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So many good concepts, kinda sad this one was chosen. Will have to save my first try for next month I guess, good luck to everyone ^_^
  • JustinSlick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JustinSlick polycounter lvl 6
    spire8989 wrote: »
    So many good concepts, kinda sad this one was chosen. Will have to save my first try for next month I guess, good luck to everyone ^_^

Just because this was the one chosen for the Noob challenge doesn't mean you can't grab the concept you did like and have a go at it in your own thread! I'm sure no one would judge you :poly124:.

Good luck everyone! I may join later this month, but I made a promise to myself that I wouldn't move on from 7 until I was ready to call it finished.
  • Broken World
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Broken World polycounter lvl 6
    Here's my wip. Just block in right now, think I got all the proportions and the right placement of most objects. The FOV is a little off from the concept but it's standard Cryengine FOV so thought it would be best if it were meant to be "in-game".

Wip_01.jpg

*** Also, does anyone know how to get rid of the statistics block in the upper right corner of the viewport in Cryengine SDK?
  • sevndaythry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sevndaythry polycounter lvl 6
    @ Lankus Maximus

Thanks!

I finished blocking in my scene. Now time to start roughing out the models.

highresscreenshot00002.jpg

highresscreenshot00003.jpg
  • shosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gotta love the accuracy in perspective of this concept
  • Fenyce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fenyce polycounter lvl 11
    I think I'm also doing this months challenge...

Concept paintover

nCLGUSA.jpg?1

I'd like to do a scenery where a little greenery is showing... and some drawing with chalk on the ground, like done by a child that's walking around in this empty place, searching for other people...

Concept (texutre) breakdown

BFefJ5m.jpg?1?6488

I'm planing hand painted textures... maybe just diffuse, not sure yet.

On to some blockout stuff~
  • Abdullah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i'll try to participate in this challenge. very interesting and got new stuffs. especially the plastic curtain. I was looking for tutorials i found one which is really great for 3ds max. hope someone make use of it.
    http://howto.apu.re/videos/vizu-how-to-model-a-curtain-in-3ds-max-with-cloth-modifier/
  • LANKUS MAXIMUS
    some really nice takes on the concept.

@ Fenyce - Nice ideas there. I was also thinking of adding some contrast with a bit of overgrowth.

The chalk scribbles are a nice touch. You should check out Scott Homer's awesome Bioshock project. He created some chalk decals by sketching directly onto black card and then scanning them in. Had a really nice result.

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=97769
  • Fenyce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Lankus!
    Yeah, awesome fanwork, I've seen that some time ago, but didn't remember the chalk scribbles! Great idea, maybe I'll try that, too!
  • uberphoenix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    uberphoenix polycounter lvl 8
    Guys, does anyone know how to make my camera view the same height as the little character i've played in the scene? Trying to get the height correct but when i play it im alot taller than the skeletal mesh

176KoAV.png
  • Mischievous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Those chalk decals really are a nice idea. One of the things I liked in the L4D games were all the messages left by people every which way.
    Not sure what personal touch to add my self yet, so here's my plan and blockout.

Imageshack won't let me upload for some reason so I guess I'll use dropbox.
    ImageBlockout.jpg
    Please excuse my horrible writing, still getting used to the tablet...

It's funny how some simple bright colors can make anything look happy :P
    Used the warm colors for anything I can modulate, and the blues for special models, also scribbled out some proportions relevant to the people.

And here's my blockout so far...
    Blockout_01_1.jpg

Blockout_01_2.jpg

Not sure what to do with the area behind the gate, I noticed some sandbags back there, might try to go with some militarized area.
  • LANKUS MAXIMUS
    @ uberphoenix

- Only thing i could recommend (with my limited knowledge), is maybe check the Unreal threads for console commands?

I've used fov controls and camera-view controls by typing values in the play-in editor window before...

@ Mischievous

- Really strong block-out.

I loved the safe rooms in L4D. Genuinely the only places you ever felt 'safe'. I used to annoy my team by doing that game artist thing and stare at all the models and textures, getting myself left behind :)
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    Well I have to say this scene looks interesting. I've never done an environment. I have UDK, but it's been so long I would be starting from scratch, so I'm looking at the CryEngine to see if now would be a good time to learn it.

I also have a vehicle model built for an indy team a few years back that would fit pretty well into it....though I don't know if that would change the overall mood too much.

Also I have a Crayon brush for Photoshop that can mimic chalk texture for download...it's pretty popular.
  • AzzaMat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AzzaMat polycounter lvl 9
    Guys, does anyone know how to make my camera view the same height as the little character i've played in the scene? Trying to get the height correct but when i play it im alot taller than the skeletal mesh

176KoAV.png

New versions of UDK have a default empty layout. In this mode the character height is taller than the characters that are in the content browser. If you change your gametype and PIE Gametype to deathmatch it should lower your character height to the same as the character you have placed in your scene. These settings can be found in View/ World Properties at the top bar in the UDK editor. alternatively you can create a custom camera. But I will let you google that one =P
  • Broken World
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My wip blockout. Pretty basic. Wip_01.jpg

Does anyone know how to get rid of the statistic blocks on the upper right corner of the viewport in the Cryengine SDK?
  • LANKUS MAXIMUS
    Nice block-out.

Sorry for my noobness, did you unwrap and then import each mesh?

I've only ever used UDK and i know its pretty bad practice but in the past I've imported my whole scene as a mesh and then worked on individual props to add to the layout..

You've got the scale down really well
  • Broken World
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice block-out.

Sorry for my noobness, did you unwrap and then import each mesh?

I've only ever used UDK and i know its pretty bad practice but in the past I've imported my whole scene as a mesh and then worked on individual props to add to the layout..

You've got the scale down really well

Yeah, in total there's about fifteen different "modular" pieces, and they're all placed in editor. I find it easier that way because in max or maya, you can't judge the FOV very well from the camera and the right camera position as well. And it's not really unwrapped per say just box mapped. :P

It is a bit of going back and forth to make sure everything's to scale, but if you stick with a grid system it's much easier. Cryengine uses meters so it's very easy to say, "I think the gates need to be a half meter shorter" or something like that.

Also, modular is the way to go, it makes these kinds of changes much easier and it's how I've worked in the industry since starting school. I think it's pretty rare an entire scene is built in max or maya anymore.

And it's important to get you're stuff in editor as soon as possible, at the block-out stage. It's going to be mandatory in any game development cycle.
  • LANKUS MAXIMUS
    Oh, definitely. I'm all about the modularity.

I just had bad practice when it came to blocking in-engine before...

Thanks a lot for your answer. Really helpful advice :)
  • Mischievous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I loved the safe rooms in L4D. Genuinely the only places you ever felt 'safe'. I used to annoy my team by doing that game artist thing and stare at all the models and textures, getting myself left behind :)

So I wasn't the only one trying to figure out where the texture pattern repeats while some life obstacles also known as my team mates were fighting zombies several rooms ahead... On the other hand having to often solo the game to catch on rendered me a pretty skilled survivor :P

Also about the modularity thing, I wonder how games like Rayman and other similar styles do it. Their maps look almost uniquely made for each purpose.
  • SanjiWhite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    (...)Does anyone know how to get rid of the statistic blocks on the upper right corner of the viewport in the Cryengine SDK?
    Open the console and find r_displayinfo and set it to 0. You can find the console when you click the three dots blow the viewport on the right.
  • Broken World
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SanjiWhite wrote: »
    Open the console and find r_displayinfo and set it to 0. You can find the console when you click the three dots blow the viewport on the right.

Thanks so much! That's been bothering me for the past six months!
  • Mischievous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I think I'm happy with my blockout so far. I kind of see this as if it's somerset of a checkpoint set inside of some city's water canals that make for a good alternative to the city streets, rendered unusable because of heaps of stuff... So this can be like the first checkpoint, where survivors check in and wait for a transport vehicle to take them though the system until they reach the ocean front and the awaiting rescue ship.

Storm shelter centers are bound to be good reference for this.

Anyhow here's what I've got for today.

Blockout_02_1.jpg

Forgot to add buildings, but I don't really want to worry about those for now. Anyhow, first area - waiting area with stretchers, and even a rice soup bar shack :D , second area - vehicle park.
  • shosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Mischievous : um, is the fence modeled ? Like actual geometry ?
  • Fenyce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mischievous great blockout!
    But how do you enter these bridges? I don't see a ladder or something like that?
  • LANKUS MAXIMUS
    Nice block-out, similar to what i was trying to going for with my sketch.

I look forward to seeing how you will develop the different areas and design them to suit their function...

The bar shack has intrigued me...
  • Broken_Lawnmower
    I'm glad that concept got chosen. It was definitely one of the best ones, although I do love the things that some folks are doing to extend the scene beyond it. Not sure if I'll do something like that, I might just keep it simple this time as I haven't used UDK in awhile. Regardless, I'm gonna try to get some blockout stuff done this weekend. Good luck guys!
  • Mischievous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @shosh; Yeah they are, and I know, I know, it was easier to block out like this, I will see what I'll do with them once I make the game models.

@Fenyce; You know I was thinking of adding a ladder, and then I completely forgot. But yeah ladder is definitely the choice, mindless zombies (and sometimes players alike) can't climb those.

@LANKUS MAXIMUS; Thanks! Kinda wish I could model some sort of military truck, but I hardly think I'll have time for that. So I might as well just add tire marks and rice pieces everywhere...