Home Technical Talk

Calling all tablet/Interactive Display Users

s6
polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
s6 polycounter lvl 10
Hey guys. I searched around a bit on this topic, and didn't find much of what I was looking for. My situation is this: I wanted to really get into organic sculpting and painting more seriously, and start building skills outside of hard surface 3d. I already have a good working knowledge of zbrush and photoshop, So those tools aren't my issue.

The Mouse is. I just received an Intuos 5 Medium today, and thought it would be awesome! It isn't. I hate it, And I'm quickly getting frustrated. I know this is because i need to get used to it, and I shouldn't get wound up. But i've become accustom to working on 22" cintiq's at my school, and the intuos feels like a major de evolution.

My query is to anyone that has been through this, I want your story and your opinion on the learning curve. If you went straight to pen displays, If you did bambo, Intuos, Cintiq, Or whatever the case may be. I'm curious to hear how the it all went for you guys. serious and skilled sculptors/painters especially!

As of now, I'm leaning towards returning it, and dropping a pretty penny for the 13HD. I know its only been one night, and i should give it some time But it feels so wrong in comparison to the cintiq :(

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    It just takes getting use to, I know people that prefer tablets over cintiq. Cintiq's are warm, the cursor doesn't match up perfectly to the tip of the pen, and it takes your eyes further away from your other displays if you are using them for reference. There's pros and cons to both Intuos and cintiqs, I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the Intuos yet. You have to get a feel for how your display and your tablet match up, working with UI takes some getting use to, but you should be trying to use mostly hotkeys.
  • s6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    I assume you mean the hot keys on the tablet, right? And yeah....It's just so weird! How long did it take you to adjust? Does it become second nature after a while?
  • Goat Justice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goat Justice polycounter lvl 10
    It's all going to come down to personal preferences. I started out with Intuos style tablets, and find it kinda weird to use an on-screen stylus now. Not horrible, just odd to have my hand in the way.

One possible tip for you:

If you're on a dual screen setup, I recommend trying out the option that restricts the table to just one screen. Made a big difference for me accuracy wise. You can have it pop on and off per application, so you can still click around the desktop on both then have it lock down to one screen for PS and Zbrush
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Yes, make sure you have force proportions on, it makes it more natural for drawing.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Such a huge subject !

Your case is actually quite unique in the sense that a vast majority of digital artists got used to the regular tablet first, and then eventually moved to the Cintiq (or not - more on that later).

I'll go against the consensus here and I would say that trusting your immediate gut reaction might be a great thing. If the plain tablet just feels wrong to you, then yeah it might be wiser to invest in a small (or full sized used) Cintiq rather than fighting the unnatural feeling.

Now of course many digital artists simply got used to it, and there is without a doubt a huge amount of work to back up the claim that the most awesome artwork can be done on a plain tablet. But if you can save yourself all the troubles that can come from the disconnect between tablet and screen, then by all means go for what is most natural - you are lucky to have been exposed to pen displays first !

Something else to keep in mind : I have seen a vast number of digital painters transition from an Intuos tablet to the Cintiq ... to eventually move back to the Intuos after a few months or years and stick to that for good. I think the main reason behind this is the fact that fully painted digital images require a lot of "stepping back" (= zooming out) for perspective checks, composition balancing, and so on. This is generally easier and more natural to do on the Intuos.

However, sculpting, 3D work and texture work doesn't require any of that really - and accordingly, most digital sculptors seem to stick to the Cintiqs and never look back.

I personally find both devices to be quite lacking - Intuos tablet are now as good as they can possibly get yet will always feel unnatural by design ; and the Cintiqs, while great, do run quite hot, are rather imprecise, and expose the user to eye strain and fatigue.

Tough pick really ...
  • Fwap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fwap polycounter lvl 13
    Is it not seeing where you are painting that's throwing you off?

i'm still not completely used to my tablet yet. takes a few tries to get the strokes i want.

to get really stuck into the learning curve though, i replace my normal pc mouse with it for a few weeks, except when it came to gaming. Really jump started me in the right direction.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I'd give it a week before jumping to any conclusions, it's nice being able to see what's under your hand.
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    when i first started on a tablet it was really alien, took a few weeks.

Now its so natural my tablet will be a different aspect ration than the screen and my brain will automatically compensate for any aspect difference... something to keep in mind, our brains are awesome
  • Grimm_Wrecking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimm_Wrecking polycounter lvl 8
    I started with a generic off brand pen tablet, and I hated it. I couldn't see how anyone could use them. Then after talking with some peeps I decided I'd make a jump from an offbrand super cheap tablet to an I4.

Changed my life. Love it. The pen to screen issue is a non thing for me tho. I was fortunate enough to have had my art teachers through the years preach and force us to do at least a couple drawings a year where we weren't allowed to look at the pen/paper and just focus on the subject. That made adjusting to the not looking at the tablet or where I am physically drawing/painting, and focusing on the subject (screen) pretty natural.

In truth I've found it to be a lot weirder to try and use a Cintiq. My roommate has one and I can't get over the gap where my pen doesn't touch exactly where the cursor is due of the couple millimeters of the glass to the pixel display. I even tried calibrating it to account for screen tilt @ my working angle, and I just couldn't get past it enough to make me want my own.

All that said, the biggest issue with both for me is size. I use my arm instead of just my wrist or fingers, and I don't have the fine motor control to work on small tablets.
    I can fork over $500-$600 for a large intuous, (really like to find a quality used i4 XL) but spending $3-4k is just insane when I don't know for sure if I could overcome the issue I have with a C. If I got one at work or something and had time to get used to it there, then maybe, but for a personal risk on the assumption I'll get used to it... I've considered it multiple times, and always come back with I'll wait and see after I use one pretty extensively.
  • s6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Good stuff here guys. I really appreciate your opinions.

@Using it across two monitors: YES. That was the first thing i noticed and changed. Probably 5 seconds into fiddling with it. What is nice about the intuos 5 is you can restrict the pen to X monitor(x proportions) and then you can still finger touch your way around both monitors.

The big upside I see with the in tuos is: I get screen resolution without paying for it. I could have a 24" monitor that allows me to see what I'm working on very well without paying for 24" inches worth of cintiq. I'd really like the 13" on screen, But i don't know if would get sick of it being so small.

Edit: Hmmm. Just starting playing with the thing this while writing this point, and it seems to have a wicked jitter today Either i was completely blind yesterday, or its a new thing. Hopefully a reboot solves it.
    Things definately became easier when i roated the canvas around. Instead of trying to rotate round physically on the intuos. I suppose you guys might be right. I just need time. Perhaps I over reacted a bit
  • Fingus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fingus polycounter lvl 11
    Here's a tip to using tablets in general. In the Wacom settings you have a button labled Customize under the Tip Feel section. It's going to give you a curve editor to adjust the pressure sensitivity. If you grab the top arrow for Max Pressure and pull it back you are going to decrease the amount you have to push the pen for 100% pressure which GREATLY reduces arm strain and in my opinion gives you more accuracy. The standard settings sorta require you to push way too hard in my opinion.
  • s6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    I noticed that. I can't comfortable push on the tablet hard enough to get 100% down on the canvas. So that will definitely hep. Thanks.
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    I've taken traditional art classes and have some foundation of drawing, shading, and painting. and yes, I know this eye isn't anatomically correct :D

That's probably why it feels so alien actually.
    You are too used to using tools you are competent with.
  • s6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    yeah. Getting a feel for it though. The biggest thing is being able to rotate around the piece or the tablet. cause my arm/wrist doesn't make nice lines in all directions. So i either 1. Turn my body in relation to the tablet (hard to do with limited space) or turn the canvas. Which starts to distort what your actually working on.

Getting there tho. I'm sure it will be fine once I'm used to it :)

If anyone has exercises/ tips they found helpful in the learning (coordination, mainly) I'd love to hear them! I know its always a Google search away, but hearing stuff from real people is much more valuable to me :)
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    there's no exercises or tips I can think of besides just using the tablet - you eventually get used to it.
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    At start i hated it aswell, it was so strange and didnt felt right. But now after a couple of months, I really enjoy it and they are more precise than the screen ones aswell. Time goes by and suddenly you realize that you have grown really comfortable with it.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I hate the hotkeys on my tablet, never use them. My left hand is always on the keyboard, and right hand with the stylus.

Limiting the tablet to monitor 1 helps a lot in Zbrush. Kinda sucks in Photoshop, since I like all my palettes on the 2nd monitor, so I have it set to span both displays.

I think the best way to learn is just to jump in there, do some painting, try to get past the initial weirdness.

We have some links in the wiki about modding/tweaking tablets.
    http://wiki.polycount.net/CategoryTools#Tablet_Utilities
  • Vysuki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vysuki polycounter lvl 9
    I started with an intuos 4 about 2 and a half years ago, found it very strange and eventually after months of practice could do some painting on it. About 2 years ago I started messing around making models and getting into this 3d lark and more importantly, making textures. I found the intuos great for painting and texturing but couldn't draw on it.
    When I found zbrush I found it difficult to draw curve cuts and such. About 10 - 12 months ago I got a cintiq.
    I can use my whole arm, draw and paint, got on with it easily (The running warm helps me since my hands are usually cold xD)
    However my daughter now has a little bamboo to use and I've done a few sketches on her pc with it and found that I'm still wobbly but a lot better than I was before.

The difference I feel is that over the 2.5 years I've done a lot more drawing with traditional and on the computer and built up the muscle memory to the point the disjointedness doesn't feel as bad.

But overall I still prefer the cintiq as I can set it to a good angle and use it like a drawing board, and moving myself makes more sense than trying to rotate a tablet / trying to rotate the canvas in photoshop to be exactly the angle I need.

Side note: I keep one hand on the pen and use a nostromo for hot keys instead of any tablet buttons, works well for either the intuos or the cintiq
  • s6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Good info guys! it is getting easier. been forcing myself into At least 1 speed paint and speed sculpt a day, So I'm getting a feel for it. At this point I'd be pretty confident with normal texturing, which is the main thing I'll be in PS for :P At least now the lines kinda sorta land where i want them :)

@Eric: thanks for the link man. Lot of good info there.