Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Mech Suit Alien Character

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
ysalex interpolator
Working on a new project, mix of hard-surface and organic. Everything is in block-in stage, although I think I'm almost out of the 'concepting-and-roughing-it woods'.

8cZh7UT.jpg

JES6ewN.jpg

Replies

• Lavitz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lavitz polycounter lvl 12
    Looking solid so far. Any ideas what to push to make him more alien (skin color/texture, hair, etc.)? - not that he needs to be more alien.

Can't wait to see what you come up with
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Skin texture and also he'll have webbing on his face, like that type of dinosaur that killed nedry. Sorry I'm bad with dinosaur names.
  • silkroadgame
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good model so far!
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Have a couple things to work out but high-poly almost finished.

KTy1R7H.jpg

tCQyCnX.jpg
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Working on textures:

rg8Cihm.jpg
  • Grubber
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grubber polycounter lvl 14
    Lovely hard surface details. Are they all done in zbrush?
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Yes, mostly. I do a rough shape in Silo, then zbrush to get it to fit etc. When I say rough, I also mean really, really rough. The rest is dynamesh.

Update:

quDnKvx.jpg
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    looking nice dude, the head is just looking a bit small for my tastes. keep it up!
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    99.5% done with the high.

Garriola I will look into proportions. I wanted him to have a smaller head to make his body seem bigger, but it might look off now that his armor is so large. Something to revisit. Thanks for the input.

Update:
    ulan9Ju.jpg
  • Di$array
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Di$array polycounter lvl 5
    Great job so far mate. Really liking the boot design and I wish you'd transfer some of that line work over to the prosthetic. Also I would put some more time into the knee hinge as it doesn't seem you've given it that much love (even though it WIP), unless you're going for a minimalist look.

Other than that keeping going for gold and maybe add some cool patterns and logos.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    funny thing is, if he tried to swim backwards half of his face would be pulled off :D
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    funny thing is, if he tried to swim backwards half of his face would be pulled off :D

like a shark.. can't swim backwards!!!

looks pretty cool though. maybe give him a catfish barb mustache? :)
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    oobersli wrote: »
    like a shark.. can't swim backwards!!!

looks pretty cool though. maybe give him a catfish barb mustache? :)

fish in general actually... if you pull a fish backward they will drown, because the filtration system gets clogged up from behind.
  • Luke_Starkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luke_Starkie polycounter lvl 8
    Liking it man, a lot of character in the face.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Thanks guys.

Finished the high-poly. Also Disarray, per suggestion, I modified the joint. It's supposed to be manufactured by a different company than the rest of the suit, so I was trying not to copy the lines and style exactly, but still keep them in the same universe.

I have some of the low-poly done, but he's got 50+ subtools so it's coming along slowly.

dga6ohX.jpg
  • alvordr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alvordr polycounter lvl 6
    Interesting concept! I like how the head changed. The legs are interesting, but seem a bit off, even though they're obviously intended to be different. The right leg looks bent or warped and the left leg's scale looks too small. The head is small for the body and the shoulder armor looks too large. I'm not trying to shoot holes into your work, but hoping this helps. I don't have the vision of your work that you do, so we'll see where this goes. I like it.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Thanks alvordr - made some subtle adjustments, but not to the legs, yet, I have to have a think on them.

C6Bmu4k.jpg

And a quick retopo and material test. Material is supposed to be a composite somewhere between plastic and metal.

Lki3hmq.jpg
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Here is the main suit in marmoset.

nEV7F4x.jpg
    YHj7gx3.jpg
    wQQVWR0.jpg
    UuCJO1w.jpg
    57UUI89.jpg
  • looprix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looprix polycounter lvl 8
    wow looking awesome!! I like the asymmetrical leg, have you tried other colors? Not really feeling the blue. Maybe its too blue?!

Also I like the original simple bald head. the aquatic features are too much IMO
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Thanks man, yeah I'm still messing about with the colors, most are final but you're right the blue might be too much. The leg is supposed to look like it is not part of the suit, made by another manufacturer, so I was trying something that would be in stark contrast, but I think I went too far.

As for the head, I understand. Unfortunately it's not my concept, so I can't deviate from the webbing. I have pulled it back a bit, to try to minimize the impact on the silhouette. They are a series of anthropomorphic characters.
  • afisher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    afisher polycounter lvl 6
    Looking good man. Nice metal texturing. I agree with that shade of blue being a bit out of place though.
  • McKracken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really liking it, kind of like the blue for the asymmetry but i agree it's a bit much atm. Keep it up :D
  • Tits
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Nice Yzalex!
    You know when you started posted here on polycount, I could immediatly recognize your work within a couple of seconds. I actually looked through your thread a couple of time without even realizing it was you. Really loved the latest screenshot they look really sweet, I actually thought it was from cryengine 3 at first (the difference a video card can make, wow).
    The metal work is looking awesome.

Keep up the good work, you made so much progress!!
  • refriedspinach
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    refriedspinach polycounter lvl 3
    this is so awesome,

what are you using to render? the lighting on it is sick!
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Thanks guy, refried I used marmoset for these shots, five lights, two key lights, 1 fill, and two rim lights.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Taking a shot at the micro details. I think I've overdone it a bit.

fz6u47F.jpg

4iMdvPw.jpg
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gilesruscoe polycounter lvl 10
    Torso armor looks great, blue leg looks very out of place.
  • brwnbread
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brwnbread polycounter lvl 13
    I love the themes of prosthetics you got going on in this and that other piece you did. Its exciting to see you progress.

You said you want the blue prosthetic to look different to the armour, like from another manufacturer and I think that is going to be a wicked contrast in the end. But right now I cant stop looking at it, my eyes keep on getting drawn to it; where I really want to look at that sick chest armour. Might be different when you get the head on there, but thought I would point out.

Edit: Don't know if that was that clear, but basically not only do I notice it first, which is what you might have been going for, but my eyes keep on ending up there.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Some in progress shots while I work on making sure the low is ready to move, and a couple of other tedious things.

Zgfp8il.jpg

aeGiHYv.jpg
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    hes looking really cool but Im really not a fan of the blue leg, it just looks out of place to me.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Yes, people have mentioned it once or twice. Haven't worked out a solution yet.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Another step closer:

GsUxLnB.jpg
  • Callesw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The blue leg works a lot better now! Have you tried making another part of the armor blue as well? Just a thought that could maybe make it more balanced :)
    Looks really cool man! Impressive details!
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Thanks. I was asked to make the leg appear to have been manufactured by a company other than the one who made the suit, carrying over style and color might make that hard.
  • Iciban
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Iciban polycounter lvl 10
    great model! I think for the blue leg. If you add some gears/ detail to it. It'll help a lot. Also some decals would give it some love too. White decals might look nice. match the armor
  • SA_22
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    loving the detail on the armor.... but for me right now he looks like he is half way done getting dressed and put the wrong boot on.

theirs too much of a difference around him detail wise, the chest armor has a bunch of detail and the suit is really plain.... not sure if you plan to add more, but it needs to be better balanced imo

as for the leg.... try what iciban said, or just through a bunch of different colours/ patterns at it and post it up... but i think you can make it look like it's from a different manufacturer without just putting a stand out colour which doesn't fit

maybe a bit more attention to texture on the back of the head and the fin things he has going on.

but as far as the sculpting and texturing goes your doing a killer job on this!
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Thank you Iciban and SA22. I agree with a good portion of what you said. Unfortunately I have to put this one up for now, need to move on to other projects. I have a couple of small clean up things to do, but it's basically done at this point.

abjUKGg.jpg

uigtsdz.jpg

vte6VKF.jpg
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Want to put this down but SA I think you are right about the suit and it bothers me. Was considering something like this:

ZQ2wRJr.jpg
  • zakhar2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zakhar2 polycounter lvl 6
    I think you should try bridging the upper and lower halves because currently there's a giant divide between them , both in terms of value and levels of detail.

Like add some pouches or tool belt or a cod piece or something so the middle doesnt stand out so much.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    I was thinking maybe military webbing?
  • afisher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    afisher polycounter lvl 6
    Looking cool man, but I think the pattern on the body suit is too strong, maybe try really lowering the opacity of the pattern in the diffuse and increasing the contrast in the spec, could make for a cool result -just my 2c's, looking forward to seeing this one finished.
  • Di$array
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Di$array polycounter lvl 5
    Hey Ysalex.

I'm glad to see you giving this piece a little bit of extra love. But I think zakhar may be onto something. For example you could have a tiny environmental control pad on one hip or both without creating that line divide a belt introduces.

We can also see that you've added detail such an manufacturer's logo and warning labels to the armour, but what about the suit. Adding a logo may break up some of the dead space of the undersuit. Another suggestion that comes to mind is including a zip or clips of sorts.

Afishers may have a great solution to the webbing problem too. That way you can show of a bit of hidden detail through the spec map.
  • SA_22
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pretty much what everyone else said!

liking the new arms on the suit

glad your giving this a little more loving!
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    hey man, I know this is late and I kinda feel like a douche mentioning this now, but I really think the face designs is kind of weak, what you had in the initial sketches looks so much better then the fish head you ended up with. but thats just my opinion.

The suit looks super Ace though, love all the micro details :)