Home General Discussion

Another PC Advice Topic

Sorry if your all a bit sick of these topics but looking for some advice on getting a new PC.

I had toyed with the idea of building a machine from scratch but I came across this build on scan.co.uk and am kind of tempted to have them built it for me instead.

Scan G30i System
http://www.scan.co.uk/value-systems

System Case
Coolermaster K-350 Performance Case with 600W Corsair GS PSU

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H - Intel Z77 Chipset with USB3 Support

CPU
Intel Core i5 3570k Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz Quad Core 6MB

Memory DDR3
2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz

SSD
120GB Samsung 840 Series

All that £610 and I plan to stick my currently 560GTX into it and also use the 500GB HDD I have already as a second drive.

I guess what I am asking you guys is does this sound like an pretty good build for 3d work and gaming, anything I should look out for etc?

cheers :)

Replies

• EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    Sticking with the 560GTX is a good idea but it makes me wonder what your current specs are. I don't know much about the current CPUs but knowing this can help others comment about the performance increase/price ratio better.
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    The CPU is a very good choice, although you could get an 8 cores AMD (FX-8350) with similar performances for the same price. It may help in the future gaming wise as most next gen multi-platform games will be heavily multithreaded.
  • Skillmister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
    CPU is solid. Can you not stretch to 16GB RAM?

I was about to go on a rant about how scan were ripping you off but i've just seen how much RAM prices have gone up :O I got the 3570k, same mobo and 16GB RAM for £325 in Aug. Ram was less than half the price it is now.
  • marks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    CPU is solid. Can you not stretch to 16GB RAM?

The setup he posted has 2x 8gb ram DIMMs ... ?
  • Skillmister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marks wrote: »
    The setup he posted has 2x 8gb ram DIMMs ... ?

Doh. It's cos the site says '2 * 8GB Total (2x4GB).. Confusion.
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    mhm if i type in what you said the site tells me £463.76 (ex VAT).

wich is still fucking expensive.
    i don´t know about taxes and stuff in the UK but you could get the same setup in germany for about 400 euros wich would be 340£.
    so bad deal if you ask me.
  • Skillmister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy wrote: »
    mhm if i type in what you said the site tells me £463.76 (ex VAT).

wich is still fucking expensive.
    i don´t know about taxes and stuff in the UK but you could get the same setup in germany for about 400 euros wich would be 340£.
    so bad deal if you ask me.

As i posted above, I got the CPU, mobo and RAM from the OPs setup back in August for £325. That would now be closer to £400 with the increase in RAM prices alone. PC parts are expensive over here.
  • mats effect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cheers guys yeah its 16GB sorry for the confusion.

At the moment I am running a three year old i3 1.3GHz but suppose to be overclocked to 4.2 or something insane and 4GB RAM. Current mother board is too old to support much of a ram upgrade or any of the new CPU's.

If I can buy the parts themselves and build it myself for that much less though i might consider that. Might post back in a day or two then with a list of parts, cheers guys.