Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Crashed - Wip scene in UDK

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
lucashug polycounter lvl 6
Hello!

Here some references research and some concepts done for my new scene.
I start modeling the cryo stasis chamber in zbrush.

My goal will be to create an open environment with interesting weather effect and ambiance, something different that my previous scene who was blue sky.
I want to create a 3d model for the mountain for this time. Something I wanted too, was to mix natural and high tech objects.

The story that I want to communicate is simple. An alien spaceship crash in a land who's like scotland. And aliens escape via a cryo escape chamber. We can see the spaceship in fire and more cryo escape chamber falling down from the sky.

001-Moodboard-WIP.jpg

002-ConceptIdeas-WIP.jpg

CryoHIGHPOLY.jpg

More news soon :)
Cheers,
Lucas

Replies

• lucashug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi!

There some screenshots of the wip, in udk.
    And a paint over that I did to see which direction I wanted to take.

031.jpg

032.jpg

034.jpg

paintover-001.jpg

Cheers,
    Lucas
  • lucashug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello there!
    Here a quick render in marmoset toolbag, of the cryo stasis chamber :)
    5000 Triangles and 2048*2048 textures.

CryoMarmoset.jpg

Cheers,
    Lucas
  • Mr Smo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr Smo polycounter lvl 18
    cool paint over, i like the feel of the wet dark weather. those clouds of smoke would look even cooler with lightning inside them :D

the pod is also cool, maybe add a bit more damage from landing, other than that awesome work :)
  • Mik2121
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mik2121 polycounter lvl 9
    I like the design of the outside, but the inside looks extremely uncomfortable. If it were me, I would add much more padding and soft areas. A person is supposed to be sleeping there for days, months or even longer, so they'd probably wake up with some horrible shoulder and back pain, hahaha :P
  • lucashug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello guys!
    Thanks a lot for the comments :):):)
    Here the Character I will put in the Cryostasis.
    this is the Highpoly. I wanted to buy a scan, then I prefer to use
    an old character I did and adapt it.

HighpolyBODY.jpg

Cheers.
    Lucas
  • lucashug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello guys!
    Here some WIPs.

The green is the grass, the Blue is some dirt tint (brownish), the black is a kind of smooth rock and the red its a broken rock.
    I didn't use a unique Rock texture but prefer Tileable and Vertex paint, then with 4 differents rock mesh I could duplicate them and they look different.
    Rocks-texture.jpg

And the new version of the cryo chamber.
    it from UDK.
    CryoUDK.jpg

Cheers
    Lucas
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    The warning stripes on front look a little strange with a bump, and the scratches have really odd bumps aswell, how did you do that ? id leave the stripes as paint, also the ones on the side have a odd relation between the red and the black, they are usually more around 50/50 in width

Just take care about the drop pod direction, all the ones in the sky fly towards the right, while yours is coming from the bottom, a whole other direction.

The glass dosnt really convince me, I dont know what you are willing to do with the material, but the form alone is conveyed a lot better in the concept , also i have to say that one of the best things of the concept is the feet area with those really nice curved faces, and you replaced it with a a lot more straightforward design, (+ a lot flatter glass) making your whole object look a lot more flat and boxy.

Environment looks nice so far

The texturing is really lovely, love the edge highlights and the number decal on top shows that you know about graphic design aswell, kudos for that
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    Pretty cool, the rocks are looking pretty awesome! I think the scratches don't need normals, at least not that much :/ too intense and unrealistic. If it crashed it would need more paint wear from rocks scratching against it and all that, the back would probably be beat up way more, would be nice to beat up the silhouette a bit more. Move some vertices and bend some metal. Just my opinion, would love to see those scratch normals toned down at least :P
  • JamieRIOT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamieRIOT polycounter lvl 6
    This has a sense of the original Halo about it :)
  • lucashug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello there,

Thanks guys for the comment!
    I change the Cryo from some of your comments!
    Like paint and scratch volume, and I add some Freezing smoke inside of the Cryo (animated).

CryoUDK02.jpg

And it will feel more Halo with this ship that I will put on the background.
    It's based on the UNSC Spirit of Fire ship from Halo :

Background-ship.jpg

Cheers,
    Lucas
  • lucashug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Helloooooo!
    Here an update about the guy in the Cryo.

A screen shot in Max without Diffuse on the character :
    Characterincryo.jpg

And A screenshot in the scene in UDK :
    Characterincryo02.jpg

Next step will be the Mask and tubes going out of his body.
    Cheers,
    Lucas
  • AGarton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AGarton polycounter lvl 9
    Really like the look of this! Just a comment more than anything, but the red colour suggests heat to me, which doesn't seem to communicate "cryo-chamber" or "preservation". It really looks as if there's an intense heat occuring inside the pod (which may be what you're going for, I don't know). Anyway, very cool idea!
  • Mr Smo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The guy in the pod looks like you!
  • lucashug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello there!

Thanks guys for your comments!
    And I will try to make my scene as close as a Double complementary Harmony (Like a lots of landscape paints), it's for that purpose that I did the light of the cryo red. The thing I will make it a beacon light (animate the light flickering)! that would give more sense.

I am kind of done with all of this scene, I just want to add some Chromatic abberation. I use the february 2013 build.

I try to do this tutorial, but it's just show my scene all black screen :(
    http://www.game-artist.net/forums/support-tech-discussion/13682-tutorial-chromatic-aberration-udk.html

Did somebody know what could be the problem? or probably have an other tutorial?

Thanks a lot guys for the support :):):)
    Lucas
  • lucashug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello guys!!!

The problem of the chromatic aberation was that I have to put, in the post process chain, the materialEffect have to be before the UberPostProcessEffect.

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=125331

Thanks to Santewi for the help!
    Cheers
    Lucas
  • lucashug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello there!
    This is done!!!

A spaceship crash in a valley. The valley could be on earth or any other planet. Before going through the atmosphere and crashing, the spaceship spread its escape pods, with the crew in cryo stasis. Those escape pods are still landing on the planet. The beacon light is active when there is a crew member inside (in cryo stasis), to help the awakened crew find them.
    My goal doing this scene was to create a full 3d background using Worldmachine, and practice HardSurface in Zbrush. I wanted to use the double complementary harmony that is used a lot for landscapes. For the ship and the escape pods, I took some concepts from Halo, that I adapted.

Here the pictures :
    000-Moodboard.jpg

001-Concept.jpg

002-render.jpg

003-render.jpg

004-render.jpg

005-render.jpg

006-render.jpg

007-render.jpg

008-render.jpg

009-theescapepod.jpg

And here a little video :
    https://vimeo.com/76890006

See you!
    Lucas
  • Mr Smo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This turned out great! nice work and congrats on finishing :)

I like the fog in the chryo chamber, how did you do that? also is he dead?

Some more shots of the ship would be nice, the burning smoke from it looks cool.
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    great job lucas!

I really love the landscape you really nailed it, i few things i would change the chromatic aberation is way to heavy tone it down it fuzzies up the final renders.

the ship itself could use a bit more love, i think a great place to look are at these images below from the pillar of autumn that was made for halo reach:

http://images.wikia.com/halo/images/8/8b/HaloReach_-_PoA.png
    http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100916181536/halo/images/6/62/PoA_Reach.jpg

Also if i were to make the ship i would probably try to take it to the next level and try to get some nice chunky shapes in there, like they have for the infinity:

http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2012/156/a/5/forward_unto_dawn_screenshot_02_by_lord_hierarch-d52eded.png