Home Technical Talk

Optimal settings for texture exports

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
The CryTiff exporter is still a little strange to me. I've exported out my textures before(can't remember the settings), but I don't remember having any horrible artifacts that I'm getting now. My original PSD is 4096 and I exported out at 1024 for diffuse, normal, and spec/gloss.

6J1Ek9D.jpg
UIpzuvt.jpg

The top image is in CryEngine 3.4.5 Free SDK and the bottom is the asset in Maya with the same exact Tif. Is there something changing within the engine itself? Looking at the mesh with just the normal applied, it doesn't look like it suffers from compression as bad, or at least nothing is offset. Are there any specific settings I'm missing for exporting? This is a portfolio piece, so performance isn't too much of an issue, although I'd still like to keep my textures somewhere in the 'next gen' range.

Replies

• FlynT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FlynT polycounter lvl 8
    From what i know there is some sort of extra compression going on when importing your texture into the engine. You can try to prevent that by checking the "Suppress engine reduce" option inside the CryTIF exporter. Or by changing the the resolution to -1 right next to it. http://freesdk.crydev.net/display/SDKDOC3/Using+CryTif
    crytif_3.jpg

Also make sure your Config Spec is set to Very High.
    If all else fails you can go through various console commands (r_texture...) and change them to fit your needs. Some information about it can be found here.
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
    Thanks for the suggestions! I tried them out and nothing has helped. I'm on a completely different computer and the spec is at "very high". I've tried exporting out at full 2048x2048 and Diffuse_HighQ with No Mips, each with the suppress engine reduce option checked. I've tried out different values with some of the cvars, but nothing has changed either.

While trying out those suggestions, I noticed that it only looks the worse in the darks. I know CryEngine has a weird thing with dark textures, but I'm not sure how to resolve it. I've lightened up the area a little and it seems to help.