Home General Discussion

Applying from abroad dilemma

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Elod.H polycounter lvl 11
Hello,

I am just standing in front of an important decision regarding the outcome of the next year or so of my life.
The question that I can't really answer at the moment is the following: when applying for a job in a specific country, how important is it or how much advantage do you gain if you already live or reside there at that time?

I am debating to move back home to Hungary (I live in the UK at the moment as I just finished university), so I can finish up my portfolio properly in a relaxing environment. After this send out my applications. At the time of my application, I would be at home. Basically, at how much disadvantage would I be if I apply to a company in the UK for example from another country?

Thank you guys.

Replies

• Cathodeus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cathodeus polycounter lvl 14
    As an employer : I prefer to hire someone available immediately (so if he or she know the country, speak the language, and already live there it's better) better for the employee because he's still Inside his or her country, and better for the employer because an employer need someone fast and don't want to wait you to travel.

As an employee : Moving from a country to another country can be tiring.

So if you're actually in england than stay in england ! It's better chance for you.
  • Elod.H
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cathodeus wrote: »
    As an employer : I prefer to hire someone available immediately (so if he or she know the country, speak the language, and already live there it's better) better for the employee because he's still Inside his or her country, and better for the employer because an employer need someone fast and don't want to wait you to travel.

As an employee : Moving from a country to another country can be tiring.

So if you're actually in england than stay in england ! It's better chance for you.

Thank you for the reply, Cathodeus. Yes, it makes a lot of sense.
    Another question, as this was one of the first things that popped into my mind: if they see you'r applying from abroad, but would like an interview with you... what happens then? I know of Skype interviews, but how common is that in this line of work?

Thank you.
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    I had a skype interview for my former position at creative assembly, I would imagen it is pretty normal.

If I where you I would look for a position in the UK :)
  • Mathew O
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mathew O polycounter
    I've been offered a Skype interview for an EA studio that was only 3 hours away by train so I think it might be quite common :)
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    People with the right to work in the EU will have absolutely no trouble looking for work elsewhere in the EU.
  • Cathodeus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just get a job in UK while i'm living in Belgium. I worked 10 years in the video games industry (France).

You really must know that once abroad, it's really really hard to re get a job.

I had 5 interviews, i succeed 5 art tests for really good company (Guerrilla, Crytek, ...) and i didn't get the job for really strange and confused reasons (i think i never really received the truth).

When i re apply in France they ever told me the same answer, :"Oh you're resume noticed that you live in belgium ! Will you be intrested by a 3 month contract". Sometime it was for less than that. But finding an apartement with such a contract is just impossible in Paris !

So i finally get a job in Uk. Because i did a good art test result, and because i was recomended by an old colleague (as a serious person).

All those interviews were on Skype, or via phone calls.

Some companies paid me a trip to visit their studio (hotel+train paid by them) --> Than they decided to don't hire me.

So if you're in uk than be courageous ! That can be hard to find a job ! That will be hard !

But that will be harder if you want to be back later.

You have an apartement, you'll need to search one.

Keep what you have now and try to increase it ! i don't really know your actuall situation this is my advice. I cannot decide for you.

You're the best placed to decide.
  • Cathodeus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Last advice ! What i see on your portfolio is good ! You can be proud of it !

But you also need to know that actually the bar is really high to get a job (maybe just on AAA projects). because of the new console generation incoming.

You need to show textures, baking, sculpting, shaders.

So if i was you i'll be working those areas.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    Cathodeus wrote: »
    finding an apartement with such a contract is just impossible in Paris !

Finding a rental contract that isn't for one year is pretty difficult anywhere - but then would you seriously consider relocating for 3 months anyway?
  • Cathodeus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    no "surely not"; what i mean was that when you're abroad you're in obligation sometime to refuse too short contract because if you accept you'll loose more money than earn.
  • Elod.H
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you very much for the replies everyone! Sure feels good that people take their time to help out with advice.

All the info you've provided makes sense and it all comes down to me to assess my situation and decide.
    I'm not really looking... or going to look for short term work. I am hoping that for full-time..longer term (one year, two year) positions studios don't mind if they will have to wait one week for me. My main concern was/is if I really damage my chances to get into a UK studio if I apply from home.
    It wouldn't be really hard to re-locate.. just an extra plane ticket cost, really.