Home General Discussion

some of the best states to do game dev.

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Rockley Bonner polycounter lvl 12
...as far as living costs and the game dev scene as a whole. For example; I hear San Fransisco has an active game dev scene but is very expensive to live in.

Replies

• Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Austin, TX had a lot of layoffs last year but is also pretty affordable and has a very active game dev scene.

In case you're thinking of something crazy, get a job first, then move!
  • Paradan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok so this is what happens when you move before you have a job.

you'll go to rent an apartment, and they'll want to know where you work. since you dont work, they wont rent to you.

now, when you go to a job interview, they'll want to know where you live, but of course, you'll be homeless, and so they wont hire you.
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    im gonna say no where is safe lol at this point in time
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    I don't get this idea that location makes a difference. If companies are willing to send work to europe, china, and malaysia what makes you think being in a different state makes any difference?
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    RJBonner wrote: »
    ...as far as living costs and the game dev scene as a whole. For example; I hear San Fransisco has an active game dev scene but is very expensive to live in.

A lot of game dev studios are in the bay area, but not in the city itself for reasons related to this. Redwood City/Shores, San Jose, and a few places in the north bay are pretty popular locations for studios. They're all a lot more affordable than San Francisco.
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    sprunghunt wrote: »
    I don't get this idea that location makes a difference. If companies are willing to send work to europe, china, and malaysia what makes you think being in a different state makes any difference?

Some studios don't like that they have to wait for you to start, plus there's the whole relocation assistance thing that some smaller studios don't want to pay you. But of course that only applies to in house positions.
  • poly_bob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poly_bob polycounter lvl 3
    Washington is very active. There's a few studios in the Bellevue and Kirkland area. Cost of living I hear is okay. You're right next to Seattle.

I'm looking into getting a job in LA. It can be expensive over there but I hear that Los Feliz neighborhood has decently priced rent. Its all relative. I'm in NYC so every location seems reasonably priced to me
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nick2730 wrote: »
    im gonna say no where is safe lol at this point in time

Based on what information?
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    yea most of the time its pretty relative, you just cant be afraid to ask for more money when moving there. 40k jr/starting salary might be able to get by in some areas, but in somewhere like LA or vancouver its gonna be pretty tough. I think the problem people coming from outside places like NY or LA is they are afraid to push it past 50-70 if you have some experience (mid range) and dont want to seem greedy, when in reality thats the kinda salary you need to survive somewhere like that.

basically, look at all the costs of where you want to live/work and ask for a salary thats in accoradance instead of basing it off what you make now. also, most places are not going to offer you way less should you move back to a more chill area.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's good to check this out Cost of Living Calculator

It makes me wonder, could a mid to senior dev ask for six figures in LA?
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    i do a lot in a drunken state....
  • Jason Young
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jason Young polycounter lvl 14
    i do a lot in a drunken state....

Like now?

As Justin said, Austin still has a pretty solid game development scene with a relatively low cost of living. When we were looking to move, it was basically between here and the Seattle-ish area.

California still has plenty going on, though I personally wouldn't move there without securing a job first due to cost of living.
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    Sukotto wrote: »
    Some studios don't like that they have to wait for you to start, plus there's the whole relocation assistance thing that some smaller studios don't want to pay you. But of course that only applies to in house positions.

But by moving there you're paying for your relocation anyway while limiting yourself to a single location. What if you move to austin and a job comes up in seattle?
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    North Carolina is becoming more active and is cheap to live in!

Just have to ignore the batshit insane politicians who ban the use of science to study sea levels, and whatever other logic-defying shit they think to try to make law in the state.
  • DavePhipps
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavePhipps polycounter lvl 7
    RJ I'm doing the nutty move when I do mine. I'm moving to the Seattle area in an RV and will be living in an RV park for a few months. I'll be doing this job or no job.
  • poly_bob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the problem people coming from outside places like NY or LA is they are afraid to push it past 50-70 if you have some experience (mid range) and dont want to seem greedy, when in reality thats the kinda salary you need to survive somewhere like that.

50-70k is a mid range exp salary?
    I'm a junior with 0 experience and I was planning on requesting 50k.
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    poly_bob wrote: »
    I'm looking into getting a job in LA. It can be expensive over there but I hear that Los Feliz neighborhood has decently priced rent. Its all relative. I'm in NYC so every location seems reasonably priced to me

No its still expensive, and not all that great. Plus if you want to get to any of the game studios outside of Insomniac, you are in for a long trip along backed up freeways and side streets.

The whole cities infrastructure is falling apart.

Really theres not many great reasons to come to LA outside of the weather.

-someone who lives is LA and lives not that far from Los Feliz.
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 18

Sounds about right to me. I'd say 50-80 or so is midrange, with 80+ being more senior level positions. Depends on the city, of course, but those numbers sound about right for New England at least.

50k would be probably a bit high to ask for for an entry level art position. You could certainly try---and you *might* be able to swing it from some companies or if you're an absolute badass with awesome recommendations...but I'd expect most starting positions to pay 30-40ish.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Don't forget the hidden costs. Things like urban sprawl in LA and smog.

Also look this over.
    http://www.walkscore.com/transit

Out of what has been listed, San Fran is the best, while Austin in is the worst. But this one lists Seattle worse than Austin.

http://www.shareable.net/blog/the-13-best-us-cities-for-public-transit

Another way is to look at the BMI. Which obviously LA would fail the most at with its sprawl.

http://m.mensfitness.com/training/lose-weight/the-fittest-and-fattest-cities-in-america

San Fran comes out on the top of those listed for fittest. Then Seattle, then Austin.

Too bad Portland doesn't have more developers vs outsourcing like Liquid.

Slightly an aside, its actually kind of funny with Houston being listed the fatest. Someone was mention the lack of life drawing there. What did I find? A burlesque sketching group.....
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    I've done an extensive search on studios, their locations and the greatest mass per area is definitely Austin. Also $700 a month will get you a decent apartment within driving distance of your job site, though their may be some questionable characters around.

This site offers a lot of information you can cross-reference.

http://www.gamedevmap.com/

Depending on your skill level, you might also seriously consider looking at the trend of lay offs within the mid to larger studios and shoot for something smaller. It won't pay as much, but at least you'll get the experience and more importantly...the shipped title on your resume....

Which in the end is what will sell you to the larger studios.
  • Orangeknight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orangeknight polycounter lvl 5
    Swizzle wrote: »
    A lot of game dev studios are in the bay area, but not in the city itself for reasons related to this. Redwood City/Shores, San Jose, and a few places in the north bay are pretty popular locations for studios. They're all a lot more affordable than San Francisco.

I really wouldn't call anyplace in Bay Area affordable. It may be cheaper than San Francisco it's still expensive, that's also mostly true with alot of California.
  • simps3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Good luck. Starting with no experience, unless your a super star, is more like 30k. At least over here on the East Coast. 50-70 is mid to senior. At 70-80 your tapped out unless you're a tech artist, Art Director or making title bonus's.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you could potentially get 40k - 50k as a Jr on the east coast
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe if you were working in NYC....outside the city, with the exception of someplace like Blue Sky...you're in the 30-40k range.
  • poly_bob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know a few people starting out getting 40k - 45k in Vancouver. but i also know a few getting 30k.

I guess it all depends on the studio and you talent level. But these were all film studios.

I figured with the cost of living in the east and west coast, it would be really difficult living on 30k-40k. I'm not greedy. I just want to live comfortable and have my own studio apartment ( had a bad experience with a roommate in Vancouver ) and maybe a car if I need one.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katana wrote: »
    Maybe if you were working in NYC....outside the city, with the exception of someplace like Blue Sky...you're in the 30-40k range.

I was straight up offered in the 40-50k range for my first JR position in Fairfax VA - I couldn't imagine how rough it would have been making $30k in that area. But I could imagine the pay being less in NY, I've sort of noticed that trend while moving around, the more expensive the area the lower your pay is when adjusted for cost of living.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    The teachers at the college my interns go to told them to expect starting salaries of 15k... lawl

I told them they shouldn't accept anything under 35k
  • Lucas Annunziata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lucas Annunziata polycounter lvl 13
    A good state of mind! Ooooooooh!
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sectaurs wrote: »
    The teachers at the college my interns go to told them to expect starting salaries of 15k... lawl

I told them they shouldn't accept anything under 35k

What a stupid thing for teachers to say...might as well say..

"Don't bother studying this craft because you won't make enough to live...."

*Well then why do you teach the subject?

"Because teaching pays more, has benefits, and I generally suck (or am too lazy) to get a job in the field....

...but hey! I modeled this great looking crate that has 1000 likes on Facebook!"