Home Technical Talk

Sandbox Terrain Texture Troubles

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
I've got a terrain base texture set up and 2 detail texture layers i'm trying to blend on top but i'm running into some problems.

Earlier i was getting the 2 textures coming out roughly the same colour which was good but the blend was showing as a much lighter colour. Played around with a few things last night with help from Scott and i think i was getting closer but they still didn't seem to be blending correctly.

Now after a few more changes i'm getting this

XuUsDXH.jpg

which obviously isn't right.

These are my material textures and terrain base texture. I've done both exporting as TerrainDiffuse and high passing in PS -> exporting as TerrainDiffuseHighPassed to the same effect

A7VUlil.jpg

Material setups - i removed any normal/height maps for now for the sake of simplicity

4xeL3zv.png

Texture layers
VUm7Vxw.png

I'm not sure if i'm missing something obvious or what but i seem to be just going round in circles following the documentation/various threads and getting nowhere. Any ideas what i'm doing wrong?

Oh and if i change the clusters to 2048 and build a 4096 surface texture as HP advises here this happens which is awesome :D

ovYmZEW.jpg

Replies

• Ghogiel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghogiel greentooth
    Have you tried making the materials multi sub material mat (for terrain 3d projection)? Seriously just try it.

but some other obvious things;

It is hardness set to something other than 0 in the layer painter is it?

Or perhaps the detailtexturestrength in the material parameters is too high.

GL
  • Skillmister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
    I actually seem to have sorted it :) Thanks though!

ALjjDh0.jpg

The problem is i don't really know what worked, i didn't seem to do anything i hadn't already done before..
  • Ghogiel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghogiel greentooth
    Fair enough.

If I had a nickle everytime someone had an issue with CE, then the issue is resolved the next day just from what appears to be from restarting cryengine...