Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sci Fi Colony Soldier

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
tac0m polycounter lvl 6
Hey everyone, I'm making a futuristic female inspired by things like Mass Effect and Oblivion (movie with Tom Cruise). I haven't made a character concept in some time and have found my 2D to be very rusty. So before I dive into 3d I want to have a decent looking concept to refer to. It doesn't need to be perfect but I would like some feedback before I start the 3d.

Here's what I have so far, I realize there's a few perspective issues here and paintovers are extrememly welcome.
I haven't put too much thought into the materials yet. I plan on having a thick cloth for the pants and something similar for the arms/shoulders. I was toying with the idea of a tactical corset that she wears... trying to make it a little sexy yet somehow effective.

The basic story behind this character is she's part of a new planets colony. Some kind of security solider while the development gets under way.

future_chick_zpsbdec32be.jpg

Replies

• Whalebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whalebones polycounter lvl 11
    Looking good dude, I'm looking forward to seeing what it looks like in 3D!
  • tac0m
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tac0m polycounter lvl 6
    Messin around with anatomy. Was goin for a stong female build like Michonne (from the walking dead comics)

Something seems a little off to me. Any crits so far?

anatomy-5_zps2c8fd47d.jpg
  • tac0m
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tac0m polycounter lvl 6
    Progress
    sculpting1_zps055d7f26.jpg

C&C welcome!
  • The_Pixel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey! You were asking for some crits and you said something was off, I see you've moved onto clothing now. Good start so far! I noticed some small issues with the anatomy construction nothing too serious,I checked your profile and it says you work as a character artist so you probably know best but just in case you missed anything.. (I'm still a newbie though, keep in mind :P)
    Her Vastus Medialis looks a tiny bit too short, her middle section of abdominals looks a bit too wide. I'd expect them to be the same or very close to the same width as the bottom section, Also I see you have the top two looking like they're sort of being squished by the rib cage, which is true, If it's a six pack your going for.
    But in this case it's only 4 so they would be very similar to the middle two,

female+abs+1.jpg
    Now if you were going for a six pack then the two at the top would sort of look like what you have.

Your Scapulae are looking a little undefined, maybe it's just the angle but they look like they're quite soft like they're pads of fat or something maybe just needs a harder medial border maybe?

Anyway I'm still only learning anatomy so take it with a grain of salt might not be 100% accurate, But I hope I helped in some way :D
  • tac0m
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tac0m polycounter lvl 6
    Hey The_Pixel, yeah you're totally correct in all the points you made. Mostly i was just blocking in some forms and did a piss poor job on the anatomy. I went back to it a few days later and... my god, i must've been on drugs. I gotta admit i've never seen a 6 pack on a girl that symmetrical, looks pretty awesome.

Update

sculpting2_zps0a86b5ae.jpg

A lot of this stuff is just blocked in. I'm goin for some kind of tactical pants material and a thick leather material for the coat. It's kind of a nice contrast between small tight folds and thick flowy.

• JoshVanZuylen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshVanZuylen polycounter lvl 5
    Your clothing folds need quite a lot of work. At the moment it looks like she's waring crumpled paper as pants. Look for tension points and really make the folders prominent.
  • tac0m
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tac0m polycounter lvl 6
    I was using this as a basic reference.
    w061611_pants1.jpg

Now that you mention it. it does look like crumpled paper.... shit D:
  • tac0m
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tac0m polycounter lvl 6
    Back to the beginning. I didn't like the way this was looking, too many things were bugging me. So i'm going back to the basics and starting over.
    I didn't like how built she looked with some of the tighter clothing i started to add. So i went back and gave her a new body. She's still in good shape, just not so ripped.

This is the before render (posted above as well)
    anatomy-5_zps2c8fd47d.jpg

This is the new anatomy
    anatomy2_zps9a66a86e.jpg