Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sten Gun - Crits Please!

So I'm working on this Sten Gun as a quick break from another project, trying to get something modelled in a decent amount of time. Below is my HP so far. I'd appreciate any crits - especially on the proportions of the parts, before I move on the sculpting in weld marks/wear etc.

Current progress:

2MZ7h.jpg

Replies

• s6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Looking pretty good so far. Not knowing the gun well, I couldn't speak to the proportions, But my only concern would be some of the edge widths along the gun. If your planing on baking, I think you may find some of the thinner edges wont' project so well. Obviously not too hard to work that around though. So i say cool. Hope to see a sling or some kind of soft forms on it!
  • mystichobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mystichobo polycounter lvl 12
    Doesn't look too bad :) There are a couple of areas that look a little off to me, mainly the charging handle, looks lie it starts getting thinner a little late, whereas it's pretty even on the original, you could also put a little more depth into the indented bit of the bolt.

Not sure if you've seen it, but the sten is one of the few guns out there that has full machining plans on the internet: http://fromthetrenchesworldreport.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/sten_mk2_complete_machine_instructions.pdf
    Some very handy reference of each individual part there with accurate measurements :)
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    Thanks for the feedback guys, working on it! mystichobo which indented bit do you mean? Also I know there are more than one type of charging handle, I was going for this one, but you are right the shape is off.

RemoveChargingHandle1600pxl.jpg
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    I'm going to call the High Poly finished :) (unless anyone sees something I need to change)
    2MZ7h.jpg
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    This model got me noticed by the Project Reality 2 dev team, so I'm currently working on stuff for them~ :)
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    Hehe.. I planned on modeling one of these sometime soon. The silenced version with the leather wrapping, though ;)

Looks good! The stock looks a little flimsy and curvy though?
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    cptSwing wrote: »
    Hehe.. I planned on modeling one of these sometime soon. The silenced version with the leather wrapping, though ;)

Looks good! The stock looks a little flimsy and curvy though?

Yeah the silenced one is nice..

And I did wonder about the stock being too flimsy looking. I will bulk it up when I come back to this. At the moment I'm doing the grip on an L96 rifle and it makes me want to hurt myself :poly142:
  • Colditz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The rear sight is way to small besides some other proportional mistakes.

But it looks very good so far. Love the welding seams.
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    Colditz wrote: »
    The rear sight is way to small besides some other proportional mistakes.

But it looks very good so far. Love the welding seams.

Any other proportion mistakes you could point out? This was my original worry, as I just kinda eyeballed rather than using any blueprints or whatever...
  • Ootrick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ootrick polycounter lvl 6
    Great looking model so far. At first glance it could use smore edge variation, they all seem to have the same thin-bevel. With this in mind - If your going to be baking this to a low poly, you will want to have more variation and more broad edges.
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    Ootrick wrote: »
    Great looking model so far. At first glance it could use smore edge variation, they all seem to have the same thin-bevel. With this in mind - If your going to be baking this to a low poly, you will want to have more variation and more broad edges.
    The edges are just as soft as I can get on the thinner areas with Quad Chamfer. I'm not really sure why I would want to vary the softness, I can't see that showing up in the normal map really? Unless you mean some kind of wear effect, which I could sculpt in. Please, elaborate on what you mean...
  • Colditz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Any other proportion mistakes you could point out? This was my original worry, as I just kinda eyeballed rather than using any blueprints or whatever...

You need no blueprints. Just a good eye. And way better and more references.

I'm an asshole. I know.

474570.jpeg
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    Circling everything and telling me its wrong REALLY isn't helpful.
  • Sir Apple
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sir Apple polycounter lvl 8
    The issues being pointed out is your edges are too tight. If the edges are overly tight, it completely defeats the purpose of a bake. You need to soften up those edges quite a bit.

Due to how tight your hipoly is, at even the slight distance in your renders, the edges are lost, therefore the hipoly resolution diminishes to almost nothing.

Posting this commonly used example;

p1crcFj.jpg
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    Sir Apple wrote: »
    The issues being pointed out is your edges are too tight. If the edges are overly tight, it completely defeats the purpose of a bake. You need to soften up those edges quite a bit.

Due to how tight your hipoly is, at even the slight distance in your renders, the edges are lost, therefore the hipoly resolution diminishes to almost nothing.

Posting this commonly used example;

The issue is, that the thinner pieces I chamfered can be chamfered no more. Should I make them thicker to compensate for this?
  • s6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    There are a lot of ways you can go about making wider (not necessarily softer) edges, But it may be of more help if you show a spot you imagine can't be made to have a wider more legible edge, and maybe someone can show you a solution.
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    Good idea :) What I mean is like this. I used quad chamfer as far as it would go without overlap.

2Pc7s.jpg

I could use support loops, but there is a limit before the corner becomes distorted... Assuming I dont put a loop down the middle, the loop should be below the edge about the same distance between the top two edges (if that makes sense). That way you get a nice averaged curve. If it's below this the corner begins to sort of droop. Maybe the below helps illustrate it. Anyway if there is a better way or I am doing something wrong, please let me know :)

2PcdV.jpg
    2Pcks.png