Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Can anyone Reccomend some 3d environment artists to look at/ input needed

poopsterspappy
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
poopsterspappy polycounter lvl 7
Hi,

Could you guys list some Game environment artists that come to your mind when you see what I'm working towards, I'm a bit stuck in my thought process. This is my first environment. I picked this concept art because I have always been too much of a copyist and I wanted to be forced to make decisions without the aid of having one piece to religiously copy. Of course any c +c is well appreciated. Thanks :)

BTW. These are just hi res throw away's that will be sculpted in ZBrush

temp_5.jpg

temp_4.jpg

temp_6.jpg

temp_03.jpg

temp_02.jpg

temp_01.jpg

Replies

• poopsterspappy
    Offline / Send Message
    Is it that bad that no one has any comment :poly122:
  • radiancef0rge
  • pixelpatron
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    Why don't you join in on the monthly? You'll get a lot more support/feedback. I think you've chosen subject matter past your current skill set.
  • poopsterspappy
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Pixel,
    I am completely satisfied with your position, but I wish you would elaborate as to why it is pre mature to be handling this? Thanks a million

P.S What I mean is what are the tell tale signs I'm over my head?
  • KyleJensen
    Offline / Send Message
    KyleJensen polycounter lvl 12
    You could have just bumped your previous thread.

I still think you should just focus on a smaller composition rather than a large one for your first environment.
  • matthewjvia
    Offline / Send Message
    matthewjvia polycounter lvl 13
    Part of the reason people are saying you're in over your head is that you are trying build an enormous environment for a single person to handle, especially in the time frame that you mentioned in your other thread. Just that one room would be a hell of a task considering how many detailed elements are in the scene. Your time would probably be better spent narrowing your focus and making something small and well done rather than big and mediocre.

This is an issue most artists I've known have when they are still learning. I did the same thing (and still have to fight the urge). I would constantly come up with grand ideas for enormous environments and then either race to finish or give up. You will learn more and learn faster if you pick a really small scene and do it well, then another small scene, and another, then work your way to something bigger.

Try looking through some of these: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=120083

Even if you don't do the challenge there are a lot of good concepts in there that are much more manageable.
  • poopsterspappy
    Offline / Send Message
    Matthew, thank you very much. I have decided to take your and everyone elses advice and do the challenge. Just out of curiosity, in principal am I approaching my blockouts in a fundamentally sound way? As when I do the challenge I am going to approach my blocking out in a method similar to this overly ambitious environment :)
  • matthewjvia
    Offline / Send Message
    matthewjvia polycounter lvl 13
    It looks like you went farther than you needed to on some things. When I'm doing a simple blockout, it rarely goes beyond a few primitives to get the idea of the scale and proportions in the scene. I may do a bit of modeling for a complex shape or some important prop, but even then, I only add enough to get the idea of what the object is. If you intend to use those meshes for sculpting, then it might be ok. Otherwise, you're wasting time adding detail to a mesh that you're going to delete in the long run. The blockout is for your benefit, not an audience. If it's helpful to you, you're doing it right, if it's there only for the sake of an outside viewer it's wasted time that could be spent on the scene itself.