Home General Discussion

Timegate FIles for Bankruptcy

http://www.gamespot.com/news/section-8-dev-files-for-bankruptcy-protection-6407886

TimeGate Studios files for Chapter 11 in Texas Southern Bankruptcy Court following fraud suit.
Section 8 developer TimeGate Studios, which also contributed to Aliens: Colonial Marines, filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection this week in a Texas bankruptcy court.

Polygon obtained court documents that show the developer has a number of creditors and total liabilities ranging from $10 million to $50 million. Those claiming to be owed money include Epic Games, Agora Games, and DJ2 Entertainment, as well as a local pizza shop asking for $34.80.

Also listed as a top creditor in the bankruptcy filing is Southpeak Interactive, which published the original Section 8. The company is owed an "unknown" amount, according to the documents.

A TimeGate Studios representative could not be reached for comment.

TimeGate Studios' bankruptcy filing comes a month after the Sugar Land, Texas developer lost a fraud appeal case against Southpeak Interactive, facing $7.35 million in damages and the loss of the Section 8 license as a result.

The company laid off an unspecified number of people in early March.

The studio's current project is free-to-play stylized PC shooter Minimum. It is unclear how this projected will be affected going forward.

Replies

• Kbrom12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kbrom12 polycounter lvl 8
    Sad news, I hope minimum gets finished. Its such an interesting concept - http://playminimum.com/
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    the texas game industry is getting kicked in the nuts this year.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    While people loosing their jobs does suck, if these accusations are true, do we really want to show such a developer pity? Should we want to work for such irresponsiblity just because there was a paycheck involved? It would be better to say that the Texas development scene luckily dodged a cancer before it spread and ruined the whole areas reputation.
  • artquest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artquest polycounter lvl 13
    oXYnary wrote: »
    While people loosing their jobs does suck, if these accusations are true, do we really want to show such a developer pity? Do we really want to work for such irresponsiblity just because there was a paycheck involved.

It would be better to say that the Texas development scene luckily dodged a cancer before it spread and ruined the whole areas reputation.

I don't know what they are accused of so I will try to avoid jumping on the band wagon without further information. But if they did indeed commit fraud I completely agree with you.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Art, its mentioned in the quote from OP and attached article..

I am saying people shouldn't join in the normal sympathy bandwagon for the studio closure beyond fellow developers loosing their jobs until we see the truth of these accusations.
  • artquest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artquest polycounter lvl 13

I am saying people shouldn't join in the normal sympathy bandwagon for the studio closure beyond fellow developers loosing their jobs until we see the truth of these accusations.

I read the article and I still don't know how they committed fraud. Then again I'm really tired today so I may have missed something.
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17

let me rephrase..

employment opportunities in texas is getting kicked in the nuts.