Sketchbook

Replies

• radiancef0rge
  • radiancef0rge
  • radiancef0rge
  • Yoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Yoon polycounter lvl 9
    very cool idea, so if I'm reading this right, the left is an actual photo you took from a light/box set up you made yourself, and the right is in the unreal 3 engine?

I think you've done a great job matching these, even the glow around the bulb is almost identical.

AO seems a lil harsh in the corners of the brown lighting, but that's just how unreal is.

the florescent, even though the bulb is slightly higher in unreal, there is more light bouncing off the ground plane. not sure how you have it set up, but seems like the falloff is a tiny bit too high

keep em coming, this is an awesome idea.
    Might also be interesting to put a simple box in the shot (like a paper square origami). Might get some interesting shadows and make for upping the challenge for matching the lighting.
  • radiancef0rge
  • leleuxart
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
    Those lighting studies seem like a really cool exercise. I think the first study is the closest, with the exception of the AO primarily. I would just turn that off completely considering SSAO/edge darkening doesn't occur in direct light like that, at least not enough to be visible at first. Another thing that stands out is the contrast around the light itself. For both of my monitors(which aren't 100% correct tbh), it's difficult to distinguish between the lightbulb and the glow/specular reflection in the photo, but it's much easier in your version. What's your setup and materials like? Are you using a Lightmass volume around the scene or the default number of light bounces? You could play around with the Diffuse Boost too to fine tune that bounced color I suppose.

For the second one, I think the same thing basically, with more emphasis on the AO and light bouncing.

I look forward to seeing the others though. This looks like a lot of fun.
  • radiancef0rge
  • leleuxart
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
    Fair points Chris. The new shots look great! Seems like a really nice lighting exercise. I need to do more like that after my current project.