Home Technical Talk

Help with Pre-Calculated Lighting for Environment Art Test

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
RogelioD polycounter lvl 12
Hello all! Just today I received an art test from a company (that for now will go un-named) and I had a few technical questions I wanted to reach out to the community for.

I think I have a firm grasp on most of what they want, but there are a few things that I feel are slightly beyond me at this point (or just slightly above my head...within reach). One of these issues is pre-calculated lighting.

For this test, they want all of the assets and whole scene delivered in 3DS Max. I am allowed to use lights, however, all Global Illumination/Occlusion/Shadows have to be pre-calculated (I'm assuming, that means they have to be baked out.)

This is the exact wording that has me confused:
• Omnis and spots (ranged or not) can be added to the scene (without casting shadows).
• Global illumination, Shadows and occlusion, if any, must be pre-calculated and integrated in the materials following the recipe of your choice.

While I wait for my questions to be answered from the company, I figured I'd reach out to PC for some suggestions as well.

Using either Max or Maya, does anyone feel they can steer me in the right direction with this? I am very used to Game Art packages doing this for me (UDK, Unity, Etc.)

Before I start my test, I wanted to get a better feel for this so I've been on youtube all day watching tutorials and what I've come up with so far is; I know I could very easily bake all the color/light/shadows/GI right into the diffuse and not use the lights in the scene, but I'm worried I'd lose the benefit of Spec and Normal by not having the actual lights casting in the scene.

I am also having a hard time figuring out how Tilable meshes would translate into that type of workflow. (I'm assuming I would have to give everything a second UV set, and cram all of the UV's of that second set into one texture for the lightmap... but I'm not 100% on that). As of yet, I have not found a way to purely bake out a light-map with just light/shadow/GI information (ala UDK) and I'm not sure how I would apply it to my material in Max once it was actually baked out.

Other than the pre-baked lighting, I am fully okay with all of the other limits presented to me. And I want to re-assure everyone that I have been doing research on this all day and I'm not being completely lazy- This community is amazing and I know there are a ton of you that have used this work flow and can share some really great insight here. I'll continue to search this wiki and go through youtube, but feedback here would be really really helpful.

Thanks so much for your time.

Replies