Home General Discussion

Toy making, action figures, etc...where do you apply for that???

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
garriola83 greentooth
I've always wanted to make toys ever since I was little, but I didn't know what the responsibilities are involving toy making or creating action figures. Now you have things like Sideshow Collectables and resin statues and so forth and I was wondering...is there a careers page for doing this? Where would I apply? haha
This is all merely speculation but if there's an oppurtunity for me to do it, I would apply....

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I think it's more of a make your own job position, you can sell stuff on Esty, shapeways, and kickstarter, or find a company that makes figurines and toys.
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    Where would places like Sideshow Collectables find their sculptors? By word of mouth? or people who make little figures for Warhammer or Hero Clix?
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    garriola83 wrote: »
    Where would places like Sideshow Collectables find their sculptors? By word of mouth?

At this point, probably. Plus I think their sculptors start with clay, not CG sculpting.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    you will defintely need an entirely different portfolio to achieve that, your stuff needs to be quite a bit more solid and clean, less game dependent, more sculpts possibly in pose. But as with games you'd need much more experience, i'd say your work is junior level and while you would get away with that in games it will be much harder to make a move into the macfarlane direction.

Andreas: thats wrong, they as a lot of other move more and more in the digital direction
  • Jaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaco polycounter lvl 17
    Agreed with Neox, check out someone like Steve Lord (MacFarlane) for inspiration. There's a strong emphasis on anatomy, pose and being able to nail likenesses as well.
  • rube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rube polycounter lvl 17
    There are a couple guys on the zbrush forums that do toy sculpts. Most are more of the statue or squishy vinyl type than articulated toys though. And someone on here (can't remember who) made some stuff for Ashley Wood. It can certainly be done, but you'd definitely need to make toys your focus, not low poly.

You can check the links on this page for more info, Adam Ross has sculpted for Sideshow Collectibles and has a bunch of usefull info if you read over his threads. http://pixologic.com/zbrush/industry/figure-creation/
  • artstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artstream polycounter lvl 11
    I think one way that might help in addition to what's already been said, is having your stuff 3D printed. Show that your work can be made physical and still look top notch. Haz's Kingdom Death work is a prime example of this (I don't think he personally printed them, but the CG to physical translation is stellar.)
  • DerekLeBrun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DerekLeBrun polycounter lvl 11
    I don't think there are many full-time jobs for toy/statue/mini work. There is a lot of freelance work floating around though. You can find some miniature game companies that require cg artists on kickstarter.

I've managed to get toy work with just a game art portfolio, so I think you just need to demonstrate good sculpting ability. You will also need to adapt some new technical skills like making your meshes water-tight and doing decimation. This thread has some good info on the workflow: http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?176344-Hec-s-2012-early-2013-works-dump
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 18
    I used to quasi work with Mcfarlane and I asked him about this once. iirc correctly he said Zbrush was the way to go..he had a couple of traditional sculptors still but more and more they were getting on the zbrush train. And that was 4-5 years ago...I don't imagine they're LESS zbrushy now, you know?
  • The Mad Artist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Mad Artist polycounter lvl 13
    I just saw an online article talking about what goes into making the Transformers toys, and it looked like they clearly made them in 3d at some point to test the transformations and all of that. Wish I could remember where the hell I saw that.

There's also this:
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=88735
  • Playdo
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    Iv been trying to break in to this field myself for some time now.

Its quite difficult as the market is saturated by extremely talented traditional sculptors that are gradually switching over to digital medium without very much difficulty (since they have the foundations locked down, learning an app is a weekend away).

These traditional sculptors all have huge followings and fanbase that creates the demand and the toy and collectible makers dont want to lose that.

Also a lot of the companies run very traditionally, where they stick with a few sculptors loyally and dont really get new ones unless one of their regulars leaves by choice.

But, as anything, hard work and dedication will prevail and iv managed to get a few contract sculpting jobs by persisting, and i find is totally worth it in the end!
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    Here's a forum for traditional toy sculptors.

http://www.statueforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32

For places that do 3D prints I would just shoot them an email and see if they have work. There are a decent amount on kickstarter.
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    This is great information. Thanks polycounters! I wasn't really thinking of applying, I knew I would need more traditional sculpts and more high poly work but it was nice to know how to even get started on something like this. I've always been fascinated by action figures and figurines and was really wondering how one gets hired for that. But yeah, printing my own would be a nice addition to the portfolio. Thanks guys! If you have anymore information, just lay it on me here on this thread.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    I used to quasi work with Mcfarlane and I asked him about this once. iirc correctly he said Zbrush was the way to go..he had a couple of traditional sculptors still but more and more they were getting on the zbrush train. And that was 4-5 years ago...I don't imagine they're LESS zbrushy now, you know?

Did you have a chance to ask him why he couldn't be bothered to credit them on the packaging somewhere? After all that was one of his reasons he left Marvel.

(Sorry, back in the day I wanted to work for him, but the above left a bad, bad, taste in my mouth. I had much more respect for Clayburn Moore)

Did some toy sculpting about 6+ years back for a small guy here who was making some of the Halo 2 toys. We used a method pf sculpy and wax, make a mold, cast a plastic version, then add the fine details to show the client. If they approved, make a final cast and send. If they didn't (most of the time - the person at Microsoft/Bungie was very specific, of course my I think my bosses attitude didn't help), we would change what we could then recast again.

We also didn't have to worry about the joints, as the engineers at the factory would remake the sculpt with the joints.

Going through that much silicon casts got expensive fast. Also, fwiw, he went under and went back to LA for the props/effects business.

These days as most say, its 3d printing, and I do believe you need to add the joints or at least account for them so your sculpture ends up segmented.
  • nyx702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea word of mouth and random freelance will pop up on forums. Seems fairly common on the ZBC forums.
    Neox wrote: »
    you will defintely need an entirely different portfolio to achieve that

I don't know if I entirely agree with that. You just need to show that you can use Zbrush really... you don't even have to be that good for most miniatures below 5cm. "Art Toys" like MacFarlane and larger ones like that is a different story...

I did work for Heroclix and Warhammer. Honestly the detail level required for small miniatures is low. You're pretty much just making the basic forms and blobby detail here and there. There were a few exceptions (such as spiderdude here on PC) but for the most part the sculptors are cheap labor from Asia and kinda suck.
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 18
    oXYnary wrote: »
    Did you have a chance to ask him why he couldn't be bothered to credit them on the packaging somewhere? After all that was one of his reasons he left Marvel.
    (Sorry, back in the day I wanted to work for him, but the above left a bad, bad, taste in my mouth. I had much more respect for Clayburn Moore)

Huh. From what I could see, Todd was always really respectful to the artists, at least to us on the enviro and lighting teams. He frequently would say he wanted to see some of the artists gain exposure from the project, via spotlights or art books or whatever. That said, he knew his name was a marketing asset and was willing to leverage that to help us get press eyeballs on the project and such. He always seemed like a decent guy to me, though I admittedly only knew him on a fairly limited professional level.

As for crediting--he seems to properly credits the artists on his comics..dunno why toys would be different. Your guess is as good as mine.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    If you hang about in the "artist wanted" section of the Shapeways forum you'll sometimes get decent projects for figurines from people looking for quality instead of just artists undermining each other until they're working for nothing. Might be a decent place to start if you interested in getting into that kind of area, even if real world sculpting if your ultimate goal.
  • Poribo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Poribo polycounter lvl 13
    I would love to get into the toy/figure business. Though I don't know how to go about splitting models and adding the connecting joints in Zbrush.
  • mastershokhan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would love to get into the toy/figure business. Though I don't know how to go about splitting models and adding the connecting joints in Zbrush.

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?174566-Cuts-and-key-in-zbrush-4r4

http://www.hardingstudios.blogspot.com/
  • Poribo