Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[CE3] Fallout Tribute

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
IchII3D polycounter lvl 12
Its time to start a blogging/spamming my updates of a Fallout scene I'm working on. Looking for much needed feedback and to track my progress.

CREDITS

Based on concept material produced for Fallout 3 and New Vegas, mostly based on drawings by Adam Adamowicz for Fallout 3 with lighting references from Craig Mullins early pre production drawings.

NOTES
  • Currently using neutral lighting setup to formulate raw diffuse composition.
  • Focusing on ground assets/textures to build foundations first.
  • Not putting much time into spec maps until I start to do more on lighting.

DATE: 2013/04/09

http://ichii3d.com/random/fallout_tribute_wip_00.jpg

DATE: 2013/04/14

http://ichii3d.com/random/fallout_tribute_wip_01.jpg
http://ichii3d.com/random/fallout_tribute_wip_02.jpg

DATE: 2013/04/18

http://ichii3d.com/random/fallout_tribute_wip_03.jpg

Here are some of the compositional shots I have been looking at to try and narrow down some of the money shots.

http://ichii3d.com/random/fallout_tribute_wip_04.jpg
http://ichii3d.com/random/fallout_tribute_wip_05.jpg
http://ichii3d.com/random/fallout_tribute_wip_06.jpg

DATE: 2013/04/27

Finally finished my high poly, did a zbrush pass and got all baked down to the low poly which currently includes Normals, Displacement and AO.

Now onto texturing!

http://ichii3d.com/random/fallout_tribute_wip_08.jpg

DATE: 2013/04/28

Super early progress on the diffuse texture, currently just focused on a small area before propagating it over the whole object. I Also laid down the base paint colours.

http://ichii3d.com/random/fallout_tribute_wip_09.jpg

DATE: 2013/05/01

Not a massive update, but feels like a life time. I had to jump through hoops and decided to unwrap, bake and start texturing again. It was a little frustrating but just bit the bullet to fix some nagging issues. I just spent an evening doing some texturing and hoping I can get this done by the end of the weekend. But lets see.

Thanks for all the support guys, really appreciate the crits.

http://ichii3d.com/random/fallout_tribute_wip_10.jpg

DATE: 2013/05/02

Did an evening sorting out the majority of the painted metal. You will notice the chrome hasn't been done yet, I'm hoping to do that tomorrow and then start working on a proper spec/gloss followed by adding details from my diffuse into the normals.

http://ichii3d.com/random/fallout_tribute_wip_11.jpg

DATE: 2013/05/03

I got around to wrapping up the vending machine, done a final pass on everything. I'm fairly happy but after looking at it for a few minutes before posting I think I want to change...

- Change monitor tint to green or brown, make it feel more vintage. It currently doesn't read very well as black. Feels very... SONY Bravia :P
- I'm not perfectly happy with the chrome, but I gave it my best shot. Its a fine balance with SPEC/GLOSS and without a physical based render it can be very difficult to get the surface properties correct.
- I'm missing a sheet of broken glass in the window bay, havn't got around to doing it yet :P
- I'm crap at prop lighting setups. Need to do another pass before I put it on my portfolio to light it a little better. Anyone got any advice on good lighting setups to pimp your work?

http://ichii3d.com/random/fallout_tribute_wip_12.jpg

DATE: 2013/05/19

Its been a while since I did an update, had a few weeks not doing much work and relaxing. Its not a massive update but over the last few days I have started doing the sculpts, bakes and base work on one of the buildings. I also made a few minor changes to the Nuka Cola machine based on some feedback.

fallout_nuka_cola_final.jpg
fallout_tribute_wip_13.jpg

Replies

• sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    Approved! What's your workflow with all the cracks and all that broken cocrete? Looks sweet! Love the 50's (60's?) feel of the blockout props so far!
  • Alphavader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alphavader polycounter lvl 11
    Saw this on hangout - looks very promising. I like the fallout style.
  • IchII3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson wrote: »
    Approved! What's your workflow with all the cracks and all that broken concrete? Looks sweet! Love the 50's (60's?) feel of the blockout props so far!

The pavement is done with tileable textures blended together, one damaged another not so damaged. This is blended together using a mask to define high and low points. This creates the main parts of the road, I then cut the object up down some of the damage lines in the diffuse and wrap the edges with a decal.

Here is a close up image to help understand how the trims work in conjunction with a tileable blended texture.
  • IchII3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DATE: 2013/04/27

Finally finished my high poly, did a zbrush pass and got all baked down to the low poly which currently includes Normals, Displacement and AO.

Now onto texturing!

fallout_tribute_wip_08.jpg
  • IchII3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DATE: 2013/04/28

Super early progress on the diffuse texture, currently just focused on a small area before propagating it over the whole object. I Also laid down the base paint colours.

fallout_tribute_wip_09.jpg
  • Grimmstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimmstrom polycounter lvl 7
    Great start Richard, you've got me subscribed as I'm sure this will turn out great.

No real crit's from me at the moment, just enjoying the show :) I'll try to provide some feedback once you've started to establish the scene more.

Great work, keep it up mate.
  • praetor187
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetor187 polycounter lvl 11
    Subbed for sure. Love Fallout cant wait to see more progress on this. :)
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    i like it when people name their threads like Fallout scene or Deus Ex scene and it turns out that they meant fallout 3 and human revolution :p
    there's some naive part of my brain that gets fooled every time.

That said your scene actually feels closer to Fallout and Fallout 2 in terms of atmosphere, which is awesome.
    I like the fact that there is none of that crappy green fog here, sky stays clear and shadows are strong and sharp.
  • IchII3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DATE: 2013/05/01

Not a massive update, but feels like a life time. I had to jump through hoops and decided to unwrap, bake and start texturing again. It was a little frustrating but just bit the bullet to fix some nagging issues. I just spent an evening doing some texturing and hoping I can get this done by the end of the weekend. But lets see.

Thanks for all the support guys, really appreciate the crits.

fallout_tribute_wip_10.jpg
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    This seems like a cool project, really like the texturing you have done, particulary the rust looks great I think :)
    Going to follow this and see where you take it.
  • Zepic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zepic polycounter lvl 11
    Looking good so far. I see your onto the texturing. Have you tried out dDo yet?
  • IchII3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zepic wrote: »
    Looking good so far. I see your onto the texturing. Have you tried out dDo yet?

I still haven't got around to trying it out, I have heard mixed reviews about it so its never had me eager to give it a shot. I might give it a go on the next asset I make to finally see what all the fuss is about :P

Thanks for the recommendation :D

DATE: 2013/05/02

Did an evening sorting out the majority of the painted metal. You will notice the chrome hasn't been done yet, I'm hoping to do that tomorrow and then start working on a proper spec/gloss followed by adding details from my diffuse into the normals.

fallout_tribute_wip_11.jpg
  • BucketOfNuggets
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BucketOfNuggets polycounter lvl 6
    Looks great, the only thing that kind of sticks out to me is that the glass is too reflective, it should be covered in dust. Also the mechenical/silver bit at the back is too clean.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    I don't think it's too reflective at all. It should just havve more of a speckeled spec map where the dirt got on it. IT looks good enough man finish the scene, actually it looks great!
    Fuck,
    I'm tirewd but you get what im trying to say.
  • IchII3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DATE: 2013/05/03

I got around to wrapping up the vending machine, done a final pass on everything. I'm fairly happy but after looking at it for a few minutes before posting I think I want to change...

- Change monitor tint to green or brown, make it feel more vintage. It currently doesn't read very well as black. Feels very... SONY Bravia :P
    - I'm not perfectly happy with the chrome, but I gave it my best shot. Its a fine balance with SPEC/GLOSS and without a physical based render it can be very difficult to get the surface properties correct.
    - I'm missing a sheet of broken glass in the window bay, havn't got around to doing it yet :P
    - I'm crap at prop lighting setups. Need to do another pass before I put it on my portfolio to light it a little better. Anyone got any advice on good lighting setups to pimp your work?

fallout_tribute_wip_12.jpg
  • TheWildHunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh man, that turned out to be one sexy soda machine! The things I would do to see that replace the vending machines in fallout...
  • nicocabbalero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nicocabbalero polycounter lvl 15
    damn that's looking nice. how did you do the layers of peeling paint?
  • EMC3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EMC3D polycounter lvl 7
    This is looking awesome Rich! Not been on the + in a while so really nice to see the props coming up to a final pass, looking forward to more.
  • IchII3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    damn that's looking nice. how did you do the layers of peeling paint?

I do my paint in layers, its not so much finding an image and overlaying it. But instead finding a collection of ingredients that build the foundations of what you want to achieve. I also like to do all my layers solid, like painting. I try to avoid using overlays or layer effects. This has massive benefits when deriving height, spec and gloss information from your building blocks. It also allows me to have rust in any situation.

The core layers I used on this where.

- Rust Image (Foundation image that represents what you want to achieve, in this case flat, dripping and upwards rust layers. These are very important as they add a layer of believability. The rust I actually paint is very much filler that brings it all together. Photos are key to making it believable at its core. But its also important not to rely heavily on them. I paint around.... 70% of the rust by hand. But without that key 30% from photos it would look like ass.

- Rust Chunks (Solid rust done with a sporadic brush, fairly self explanatory)

- Rust Gradients (If you have solid rust you also tend to have rust bleed, its also important when working with high frequency noise that you also fall back to gradients. Gradients make objects better compositionally, adds key forms and also makes it readable from a distance)

- Rust Scratches (Done with a scratch brush)

- Rust Dots (Done with a dot brush)

- Paint Flake (Done using photos, get a tileable paint flake and mask in the areas you want to flake away. Whats key to this is setting up your layer properly so it looks right)

I was explaining this process in the hang out yesterday, I might make a video tutorial if I get some free time to help explain as its come up a few times.

Anyway, I will stop rambling. I hope it helps. Thanks for all the feedback and words of support!
  • karatekodden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    karatekodden polycounter lvl 7
    Looking really sweet dude! A lot of rust without looking to noisy, great. Are you still using glass on the font section? I've noticed that you have glass in the wip images but its not visable in the final image? Anyway, keep up the good work!
  • KristaW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KristaW polycounter lvl 9
    I really like this. Great job selling the materials on this.
  • BobtheGreatII
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BobtheGreatII polygon
    This is so cool.
  • Brygelsmack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brygelsmack polycounter lvl 11
    Damn, looks great! Would love too see that .pdf or Mudbox/Mari scene, or whatever you paint your textures in.
  • IchII3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking really sweet dude! A lot of rust without looking to noisy, great. Are you still using glass on the font section? I've noticed that you have glass in the wip images but its not visable in the final image? Anyway, keep up the good work!

Yeah I still got to add the glass, I was thinking I might be doing lots of broken glass for all the buildings so might steal some of that and put it in the vending machine. Try kill two ducks with one stone.
    Damn, looks great! Would love too see that .pdf or Mudbox/Mari scene, or whatever you paint your textures in.

Right now the PSD is 2.7GB 4096x2048 (Pixel density in game is 1024 pixels to 3 meters) I could possible down res it to 1024x512 and upload it somewhere if people are interested in taking a look?
  • Brygelsmack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That would definitely be awesome! For the record you can probably up the full size on Mega, but I understand if you don't want to provide the full thing. Either way is great! Cheers!
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    this is really nice.
  • IchII3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys someone asked if they could take a look at the PSD so I reduced the resolution and uploaded it. The PSD is fairly raw didn't do much tidy up, hopefully it can be understood. If you have any questions about any of the layers give me a buzz. But anyway, hope it helps.

https://mega.co.nz/#!cgVExbwD!FFSFWXbijA85elksM_k7GS8RtMURLorEBaZHo1NDjwM
  • Brygelsmack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You're the man, thank you!
  • IchII3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its been a while since I did an update, had a few weeks not doing much work and relaxing. Its not a massive update but over the last few days I have started doing the sculpts, bakes and base work on one of the buildings. I also made a few minor changes to the Nuka Cola machine based on some feedback.

fallout_nuka_cola_final.jpg
    fallout_tribute_wip_13.jpg
  • RaPtoR_v9600
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RaPtoR_v9600 polycounter lvl 4
    love the idea i love fallout series so i cannot wait to see this environment finished good work so far bud