Home General Discussion

Oblivion movie EPIC! Go see it!

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
Skiffy polycounter lvl 15
Hello everyone,

Not sure if its showing everywhere yet but me and my girlfriend went to see Oblivion with MR cruise in the lead. I did not expect anything amazing except for some nice visual when sitting down in the cinema. Well was I in for a surprise! The movie was fantastic with a spectacular end to it as well. The soundtrack has been on loop for me all evening as well. Tron level awesomeness... I highly recommend this film to folks! That's all I have to say. No spoilers from me. Go see it and enjoy!

PS I want a bubbleship... that thing is just too dang awesome!

Cheers!

Replies

• almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    pretty much everyone i know who's seen it has said the opposite, with a narrative you can pretty much word for word guess as it goes along.

i'm interested in the visuals (was filmed in iceland?) but that's about it.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Yeah, me too. I heard that the visuals are amazing and the environment as well, but the story was very weak on most narrative levels.

Also, apparently the acting was also very rigid? Can't say since I haven't see it, but alot of people are making the joke that Oblivion is oblivious.
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    Just came back from seeing it as well. Incredibly weak, some nice visuals here and there and the idea is kind of interesting but horribly executed, the plot holes and nonsensical way some of the people behaved was too jarring to see beyond.

Both me and my friend were able to figure out what the "big twist" was 15 minutes into the movie.

I cannot recommend seeing it :/ Go see warm bodies instead or just watch The Island, which while arguably not exactly amazing was way better than this.
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    Well I loved it :) it is visually stunning and the audio design is superb. Story I thought was great and I was actually really surprised with some of it, the trailers gave a bit too much away but only in the first hour I would say. Fans of old sci fi should fudgin love it. Felt very dune/wall-e to me

Might be another tron legacy though where 3 people like it and everyone else can't stand it. ......I loved it haha
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 3
    Movie is weak. Some nice views. OST made by M83, they are in a good artistic shape right now, so it must be good. This could have been great movie but plot is dumbed down for the masses.

EDIT:
    Check Tropfest Australia finalists. For example Cargo, which is probably one of the best Zombie movies ever and additionaly 7 minutes of great story with no words.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    I don't know if you can consider the plot to be dumbed down, it looks like it's more of a case of where a B/C-Class movie got a LOTR budget scale and VFX green-lit more then anything.

I mean it follows old school cliches to the letter honestly, "Man is the most savage of creatures", "We are the real monsters", "Vox Populi will bring about complete peace", "No fallout and everything can be fixed", etc.

All of these pretty much fall in line of Baby Boomer structure for movie narrative, the only difference is instead of getting hairy chested men, saving women in spandex in a Retro-SciFi ships, is a new coat of paint where everything looks like it was made by Apple Inc.

EDIT: Cargo was a different target all together. It was only 7 minutes, so they could get away with alot of stuff and plotholes without too much questioning or effort.
    Also, it was only 7 minutes, you can tell any story without words in 7 minutes, you can't do that with a full blown movie.
  • The Flying Monk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Flying Monk polycounter lvl 18
    Saying that the plot was dumbed down suggests that it was at some point more intelligent.

Nice visuals and design, but the plot, and the plot twists where ripped directly from better sci-fi movies. The plot twists where blatantly foreshadowed, and it really didn't feel like it had anything to say.

I just hope Elysium is any good. Because if its anything like Oblivion I'm going to loose faith that anyone can produce a decent sci-fi movie any more.
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    mantragora wrote: »
    Check Tropfest Australia finalists. For example Cargo, which is probably one of the best Zombie movies ever and additionaly 7 minutes of great story with no words.

This was awesome
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    crazyfool wrote: »
    Well I loved it :) it is visually stunning and the audio design is superb. Story I thought was great and I was actually really surprised with some of it, the trailers gave a bit too much away but only in the first hour I would say. Fans of old sci fi should fudgin love it. Felt very dune/wall-e to me

Might be another tron legacy though where 3 people like it and everyone else can't stand it. ......I loved it haha

I liked it as well. Someone did mention it reminded them of the old sci fi films like Logans Run, perhaps thats why some people dont like it. It did have some hollywood cliches, but you cant expect them to avoid them all.
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow the negativity, the fuck.
    Sure some parts of the story were not as rich with amazing tits and awww, but to completely bash the movie just because of that .. please.

I think it was great, I missed some more drama here and there but really liked the overall picture, some of the shots with the soundtracks on it were very well timed and had a nice flow.
    The design too, would love to have an apartment that looks like that.
  • Bobby J Rice 3rd
    I only want to know one thing. Was the newest Man of Steel trailer attached to it?
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    I think it was fucking awesome.
  • Mstankow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mstankow polycounter lvl 11
    The fact that the original poster called this movie epic makes me not want to watch it out of protest.
  • Super
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Super polycounter lvl 18
    They'll be rolling out the 'leave your brain at the door' line next.
  • vargatom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Has lots of problems, but man it looks and sounds utterly amazing. Well worth the ticket price.
  • fightpunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fightpunch polycounter lvl 10
    As a movie I found it pretty dull, cliched and unoriginal. In terms of production design I thought it was a masterpiece :)
  • Skiffy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skiffy polycounter lvl 15
    "The fact that the original poster called this movie epic makes me not want to watch it out of protest"

OK...
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    movies calling themselves "epic" is like when potato chips would call themselves "x-treme."

it's kind of a self aggrandizing thing to label yourself.
  • Minato
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minato polycounter lvl 5
    I don't care if it was epic or not, there's not enough original sci-fi movies around these days to miss one of them because of some plot holes or whatever... plus it's a Tom Cruise movie, and like it or not he's great at what he does...
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Minato wrote: »
    I don't care if it was epic or not, there's not enough original sci-fi movies around these days to miss one of them because of some plot holes or whatever... plus it's a Tom Cruise movie, and like it or not he's great at what he does...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXRd8JOyYlM"]Les Grossman - Risky Business (MTV Movie Awards) - YouTube[/ame]
  • Di$array
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Di$array polycounter lvl 5
    Minato wrote: »

Totally agree with you on that. He's one of the few mega movies stars that have the balls to do their own stunts.

I'll see this movie either way and I'll take it for what it is.. a scifi movie. Not buying into all this, "Epic", "Life changing" crap movie production companies slap onto everything.

Plus I loved Tron Legacy so I guess i'll enjoy it.
  • vreza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vreza polycounter lvl 12
    Oblivion is a gorgeous film. Bring a camera.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    Snefer wrote: »
    I think it was fucking awesome.

^

Didn't care for a few things, but they really did a great job with the details and characterization of the world and everything on it. Always felt like I wanted to know more about everything. They gave you a long enough leash to figure some things out (maybe too long and heavy handed in spots), but it didn't ruin anything about the movie for me.

The motion graphics and design in this movie is awesome too, that ending credits sequence was great.

Really enjoyed it!
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    I just saw it with a few coworkers. We all agreed that the first half hour was neat, but then it just fell all over itself trying to have something resembling a plot after that.
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    It was a fun movie to watch, but there were plot holes and as some had already said, generally weak. Its one of the few movies I didnt regret seeing in theaters, but you dont walk away with that "wow" feeling.

I'd recommend watching it if you are bored or want to see a ton of matte paintings, but if not if you are expecting some satisfying plot to go along with it.