Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Cryengine 3] Fantasy/medieval interior

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
Jedairusz polycounter lvl 13
This is my first interior, which has been made in cryengine 3. Some of screenshots are from Marmoset toolbag or 3ds max viewport. I'm making additional probs and tweaking materials and lighting now.
Screenshots from cryengine:
d.jpg
e.jpg
f.jpg
g.jpg
Some probs:
4.jpg
Bez-nazwy_xnsnqxn.jpg
bjpg_xennpps.jpg
cjpg_xesxprq.jpg
tex1jpg_xwraeee.jpg
tex2jpg_npnsnra.jpg
tex2jpg_xwraewh.jpg
And some textures:
cjpg_xesxspe.jpg
maps1.jpg
maps2.jpg

Thanks for watching!

Replies

• respawnrt
    Offline / Send Message
    respawnrt polycounter lvl 8
    Straight out of The Witcher =)), nice i think the wall bricks are a bit too noisey but nice scene :).
  • DWalker
    The iron bands on both the doors and the barrels are very thick. For the barrels, they should be ~1/16" (2mm) thick. The doors can be a bit thicker, but you're still talking about ~1/8" (4 mm) thick. Iron is very strong and quite heavy, so it has traditionally been as thin as possible for whatever task it's intended.

The legs of the stools would be planed flush with the base of the seat if they penetrated the seat - otherwise, they'd be extremely uncomfortable.
    img_5000.jpg

Overall, it feels like you're trying to over-emphasize the depth of the details - from the aforementioned examples to the stones in the wall. Things will look much better with smaller and more realistic proportions. The engine is certainly capable of displaying subtle details.

The textures overall feel very noisy. Some of the noise - on the stones in the wall, for example - are in the diffuse, while other noise is caused by details in the normal map which are too deep.

The textures also lack any weathering or detailing - scorch marks above the torches, stains on the tables & floor, rust on the iron and shiny spots where the metal has worn. Puddles on the floor, while unrealistic, can add some interest to the scene, and let you have fun with reflections. It's the small details - the final 10% - that really sell a piece. Of course, that final 10% can take 90% of the time, but in the end it's worth it.
  • Jedairusz
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for comments. I know - there are a lot of mistakes, but I'm satisfied - I learned a lot. I fixed a few things and this is result:
    1.jpg
    2.jpg
    3.jpg
    4.jpg
  • sjuskadur
    Offline / Send Message
    sjuskadur polycounter lvl 7
    Lots of this stuff looks real nice. My main comment would be to try to break up the floor surface, it is very similar to the walls. Look at maybe a different texture or vertex painting. Also look at transitional edges where the walls meet the floor, they need trim or need to fit together properly.
  • switz
    Offline / Send Message
    switz polycounter lvl 10
    Love the wood textures!!! Are they photo-sourced?
  • Jedairusz
    Offline / Send Message
    Love the wood textures!!! Are they photo-sourced?
    I mixed detail from sculpts and from photos.
  • Shrike
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Looks nice, really like the door and the first shot
    Your sword edge looks really low on detail tho
  • JoshWilkinson
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshWilkinson polycounter lvl 9
    While beautiful, I worry the floor texture is too rough. Architecturally, the floor is the one surface that should see a lot of care given toward a level surface, for obvious reasons.