Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

My First Character

iniside
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
iniside polycounter lvl 6
Maybe second actually but that's no diffrent really.
orrian_wip2.jpg

Loosly based on:
http://media.guildwars2guru.com/wordpress/wp-content/gallery/guild-wars-2-concept-art/lightarmor04.jpg

I changed robe part. I'm gettning mad when I see robe shaped in way you can see on concept art.

Still some things to be done.

Replies

• Faltzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No is not. You are already way beyond above average :).

Anyways you just need to make the neck area wider, increase the thickness of the hood, and lower the robe a little bit more IMO.
  • JoshVanZuylen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshVanZuylen polycounter lvl 5
    Looks great for a second model. Way you will find is that your characters will look kinda muddy to begin with, but never fear that gets better with practice!

Do you have a wire frame texture on the base body?
    Also post a wire frame it's no use making a character look awesome and then not be Able to use it for anything but a default pose because the mesh is wrong, right? And I'm interested :D

Fare effort but mate!
  • iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not yet I'm still sclupting it. There are some things left (hands, legs, chest, feathers on shoulders).
    Actually I plan to use cloth sim on clothing part, dunno how it will work out :D

And it's really my second character. I never made characters before never could get grasp on it. Then bought tablet... and it started to be much more enjoyable.
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The hands should be skeletal, and the arm wraps looser, allowing the underlying bones to be clearly visible.

Your character's boots look like boots with bones overlaid. In the original, they are just solid,grayish boots (although you can't see much of them).

Is there a reason you have inscribed the sigils, rather than just painting them in the texture? They will cause all sorts of problems when you move on to the low-poly model, and in the concept they lie flat on the cloth - probably stitched, which would lie above the cloth, or dyed.

The concept's mask is based on a skull, with a black bar (sable bar-sinister :P). You would probably be well-served redoing that portion as a skull, making the changes to convert it into a mask once you're done with the basic shape.
  • iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The reason for inscribing sigil is that it's much easier for me to make it in zbrush than later in PS. I tested in before on some DOTA2 items. What I do is basically sculpt runes, bake them, use nDO to generate AO maps from normal map. After that the nDO AO maps serve me as guides to where I should paint. In other words I sculpt them for guidance.
    But you are right. They should stich out not in.

Btw. I'm aware of the hand. But I won't make them skeletal. The reason being it just change character shape way to much. After all if you wear jacket you hands won't become skeltal the moment you wear it. One of the reason why I don't like this set in game, it just change character sioulethe way to much.