Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP - Gigante Port Character

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
DiegoTeran polycounter lvl 11
Here is something i have been working on. i have added everything i can with the time i have left. I am working on this for my graduation portfolio, its one of the 4 characters i will be presenting at the end of this quarter.

i also wanted to thank my buddy @oniram for the help and @cesar for always helping me out.

here are a few old render i have

Giant.jpg
windows 7 screen shot

started making some updates and touching up stuff

Giant2.jpg
upload foto

904251_10151400116428697_1503449994_o.jpg
upload foto

im all done with it and im in the retop process

retop.jpg
upload foto

Replies

• Nosslak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nosslak polycounter lvl 12
    Looks great, but I can see some places that could be improved:
    1. Sculpt some folds in his clothing as they are currently very flat and somewhat boring.
    2. The transitions between some muscles are a bit sharp (especially between the hand and arm).
    3. His new goggles look a bit out of place as they look a bit sci-fi (due partly to the hexagon pattern) while the rest of him looks very much fantasy themed (I'd say that's primarily because of the skull). I'd try to change the materials on the goggles into leather instead as that would IMO fit in more with the rest of him.
  • DiegoTeran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nosslak wrote: »
    Looks great, but I can see some places that could be improved:
    1. Sculpt some folds in his clothing as they are currently very flat and somewhat boring.
    2. The transitions between some muscles are a bit sharp (especially between the hand and arm).
    3. His new goggles look a bit out of place as they look a bit sci-fi (due partly to the hexagon pattern) while the rest of him looks very much fantasy themed (I'd say that's primarily because of the skull). I'd try to change the materials on the goggles into leather instead as that would IMO fit in more with the rest of him.

1: ill touch up the sculpt some more if i can get most of this retop done soon.

2: so smooth out those areas?

3: i love the leather idea! :) i liked the straps he had before but never done straps so they looked bad so i went with the goggles lol but im digging the leather idea. tyvm!

ps: i have 7 weeks to finish this guy, retop another 3, unwrap all 4, (hopefully texture and pose them ) :/ im trying to make time
  • thepapercut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really strong piece man. Look forward to seeing the end result!
  • DiegoTeran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really strong piece man. Look forward to seeing the end result!

thanx buddy, i made a few more changes/fixes since the last render and ill try and apply the mask change tonight but overall i like the piece and im excited to see the final result
  • DiegoTeran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so im all done with the body. its a little bit higher then what i want but ill go over it once im done with the accessories and see what i dont need.

body

Giant.jpg
    windows 7 screen shot

Started the accessories

acces.jpg
    upload foto
  • _DeadPixel_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking groovy, T.
    I'd say his fingers should be fatter towards the hand and if you have time you should make him fatter in areas.
    Don't fall into the pit of artists that think every character needs to have defined muscles to look good.

Check this one out -
    The cave troll is huge and strong but there isn't a single defined muscle. Weight & posture play a much bigger role than muscle details.

476541_287169908062464_1772895717_o.jpg

Also - try keeping his poly distribution more even. (His face is so high I can't even see the polys.) :P

Really liking his accessories!
    Keep it up man, this will be a sweet character when it's finished! :)
  • DiegoTeran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thank you for the advice :) roger on the fingers and roger on the face! will make those changes in max once i pass everything on there. i wanna make him a little bit lower anyways. very true about the muscles, im actually somewhat interested in modeling some overweight people hehehe i find it interesting :)
  • DiegoTeran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almost done retoping the accessories

acces.jpg
    upload foto
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 16
    whats the purpose of this retop? are you trying to just get clean geometry? or do you plan on baking it down and putting it in a game engine? if so, what is your target triangle count for for the game-ready mesh
  • DiegoTeran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram wrote: »
    whats the purpose of this retop? are you trying to just get clean geometry? or do you plan on baking it down and putting it in a game engine? if so, what is your target triangle count for for the game-ready mesh

baking it down but not for animation. i wanna pose it and show the low- uvs- normals and so on. i wanted around 15k polys but im at around 20 right now. i have to go back in the body and fix the face and some other areas.
  • Conrad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i apologies if i missed someone asking this earlier are you planning on adding finger and toe nails nice work.
  • DiegoTeran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i did add toe nails but no finger nails, i wanted him to sorta have no finger nails. not sure why lol

so retop is pretty much done. still way to high for what im shooting for imo. im sitting at about 24k polys

im going to go back in again and work on the hands, face, and the belt skull and try and shave off a good amount.

Retop1.jpg
    upload foto
  • Conrad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    good luck with shaving the polys down i reckon u can easily knock 5 k off keep updating man awesome
  • artstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artstream polycounter lvl 11
    Yea, you can totally optimize this to be much more efficient in terms of poly distribution. Let your normals (assuming you're making this into a game ready character) do the work, especially on the belt and the belt's skull. Also, the straps don't need to be that dense either, a lot of the vertical loops (maybe even all) could be removed and cause you no problems whatsoever.
  • DiegoTeran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanx :) i finished adding all the accessories and managed to bring it down under 20k. happy so far, still a little bit more cleaning up but im happy
  • DiegoTeran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artstream wrote: »
    Yea, you can totally optimize this to be much more efficient in terms of poly distribution. Let your normals (assuming you're making this into a game ready character) do the work, especially on the belt and the belt's skull. Also, the straps don't need to be that dense either, a lot of the vertical loops (maybe even all) could be removed and cause you no problems whatsoever.

i missed this comment earlier but thats pretty much what i did. i brought those down a lot and im happy with the count now. still wanna fix some areas but overall im good =]
  • DiegoTeran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So here is an update to this project. i was sitting at around 24k polys and i brought my guys down to about 10 and it came out good.

my current process right now is:

I projected my guy back up in order to pose him but im having trouble with the transpose master.

my guy poses decently well but my gear does not want to go in place. is there a way to fix or make this better?

here is the new mesh.

Low.jpg
    online photo sharing

even with a simple pose with the transpose master i get this:

Simple_Pose.jpg
    image hosting 30 mb

any ideas on how i can do this better?
  • DiegoTeran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • DiegoTeran