Home General Discussion

What's Google doing in Austin?

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
PLEASE BE GOOGLE FIBER!

Google Fiber coming to Austin? City government & Google holding a meeting next week to announce… something

"On Tuesday, April 9, at 11 a.m., the City of Austin and Google will make a very important announcement that will have a positive impact on Austinites and the future of the city. We anticipate more than 100 community leaders and elected officials to be in attendance to celebrate this announcement. The event invitation is attached for your convenience. Although we cannot share the details of the announcement with you in advance, we know readers will want to learn more, so we encourage you to join us on Tuesday."

Replies

• glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    lucky... if its google fiber you guys are in for a treat... then i will have to move to Austin, and get a job there... and use google fiber... or wait till it comes here to the east coast. ~_~
  • tottot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tottot polycounter lvl 10
    oooh ooooooh OOOOOOOH!
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
    Perfect, I just may be moving out there in a few months.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    It kinda makes sense for them to start in the middle of the country, in areas with cheaper costs of living. It's cheaper and better for start-ups.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart wrote: »
    Perfect, I just may be moving out there in a few months.

It's pretty groovy, I don't like living in the city - I currently live on the border between Austin & Roundrock but it's only a short drive into the city or out to nice nature trails and parks. I've been in some states where the drop off from city to barren wasteland was pretty quick - I'm in a suburban neighborhood but it's only a short walk to a theater/bar combo and a few other nice places.
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
    It's pretty groovy, I don't like living in the city - I currently live on the border between Austin & Roundrock but it's only a short drive into the city or out to nice nature trails and parks. I've been in some states where the drop off from city to barren wasteland was pretty quick - I'm in a suburban neighborhood but it's only a short walk to a theater/bar combo and a few other nice places.

Yeah, I lived there for a few months over a summer, actually around where you are maybe. I definitely wasn't in the downtown area, but it wasn't too bad of a drive. I was closer to Roundrock I think. Austin in general was great, mostly because of what you said- there was always some sort of fast-paced area. I think living in an area where most of the roads were either the highway or service roads beside the highway helped, or the fact that there was a Wal-Mart, Target, Fry's, and other big stores at every major light. I can't wait to get out of Savannah