Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Don Draper's Office (UDK)

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Dawnson polycounter lvl 7
Hello everyone, this is my model of Don Draper's office from the AMC show, Mad Men(season01). I've been working on this for a few weeks now and I'm almost done; I still need most of the smaller props to fill the room. But I thought now would be a good time to post it and get some feedback, so if you have any I would love to hear it. Thanks.

DraperOffice_01.jpg
DraperOffice_02.jpg
DraperOffice_03.jpg
DraperOffice_04.jpg
DraperOffice_05.jpg
DraperOffice_06.jpg
DraperOffice_07.jpg

Here are two of the main images I used for reference:
Screenshot2010-08-16at123138PM.png
madmen01dailyicon.jpg

Replies

• nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks great, love the material definition. Any wireframe ?
  • Rurouni Strife
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rurouni Strife polycounter lvl 10
    Material wise, I think your only weakness is the glass shader. That needs work, but it's hard to get quite right anyway.

Other than that, I love it. One other crit I'd add is that if you have the blinds open, add an image or some very low res buildings outside the windows so you're looking out into the city. It looks like it's overcast outside in your scene currently and that's working well so I'd keep the overall grey tone for the exterior.
  • mospheric
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mospheric polycounter lvl 11
    Overall the scene is pretty good. Like Rurouni said, the glass shader could use work. I think the scene would be drastically improved if you spend some time on the lighting and shadows. Your shadows are too soft (or non existent with the bottles). It's hard to tell a definitive light source because they are so soft. In one of your references, the strongest light source comes from the window. This is shown by sun rays on the counter and angular shadows, which provide more interest to the scene.

Also please turn down the SSAO. It ruins the effect of the lamps that are obviously lit up, but the SSAO is casting shadows in the light.

Play around with the lights/shadows and post more progress!
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you look closely at the wood in the reference shots, you'll notice that it's highly polished and even slightly reflective.

This http://www.3dtotal.com/index_tutorial_detailed.php?id=1094 is a nice tutorial on glass; it's for Maya, but the general principles apply for any rendering engine. The bottles seem empty; most alcohol is at least semi-opaque, and there is almost always a level of air in full bottles:
    Wine%20Bottles.jpg
  • RogelioD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RogelioD polycounter lvl 12
    I think lighting is really what holding this back. Getting corect lighting going will really "steep" this in realism. you'd be shocked at how much more realistic things look when lit properly. Look at your reference and see how much you can pull from it. All the answers are right there.

Some other issues: Glass/Metal shader needs (cubemap)reflections. Glass specifically needs distortion. AO amount needs to be reduced or taken out completely. Some of your items are dul in spec/gloss when their real-life counterparts have a much higher "shininess" and "Glossiness". Look at how much specular reflection you are getting on the desk in the reference, and then look at your desk. Your carpet could stand to be desaturated a bit- I think the color is a bit too bold at the moment.

You have a great base to start out with... now you just need to polish and finesse it.
  • Dawnson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dawnson polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks for all the great feedback everyone!

Yea, I really need to work on all the glass materials. This is my first time playing with UDK's shaders so I'm still trying to figure things out. Thanks for the tutorial DWalker.

Since I still need to make the rest of the props I only did a quick lighting pass. Good call on the outside light source Mospheric, I'll up the strength from out side and add some buildings as well.

I'll post my progress as soon as I get some of these fixes in there. Thanks again everyone.
  • pixelb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelb greentooth
    :poly101: I love so much that this scene exists. You should try lighting it a couple different ways, there's so much great reference in the show of Don's office at various hours of the day. Have you considered adding game elements to the scene? Because I'd really love to play it.
  • The_Blenderer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love it, Someone really likes AMC drama shows in UDK?