Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Security Gun

Pres_Shoot.jpgThis work was inspired by a concept done by Ryan Osga

Replies

• luge
    Offline / Send Message
    luge polycounter lvl 4
    is the silencer supposed to be rubber or plastic instead of metal?
  • Stormy
    I was going for rubber.
  • luge
    Offline / Send Message
    luge polycounter lvl 4
    ok, since i'm guessing this is supposed to be like a futuristic gun, i'm just going to assume rubber works for a silencer. although, i don't know if rubber works in modern times for silencers, does it?
  • GarageBay9
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    luge wrote: »
    ok, since i'm guessing this is supposed to be like a futuristic gun, i'm just going to assume rubber works for a silencer. although, i don't know if rubber works in modern times for silencers, does it?

Not completely out of the realm of possibility as a thermal protective layer on the outside.

Can't do it with current materials, but just say "it's graphene", and you're good to go.
  • luge
    Offline / Send Message
    luge polycounter lvl 4
    ok, thanks for the explanation.
  • DWalker
    Silencers serve primarily to disperse the hot gasses exiting the muzzle gradually, reducing both the flash and the bang that normally accompany the rapidly expanding gas. As a result, they tend to get very hot very quickly, especially on something like a submachine gun, and they need to be made from a material capable of handling extreme heat without melting or deforming. Metal is probably your best choice.

The iron sights are odd. The are generally low, both to reduce errors caused by raising the eye that far above the barrel and to permit mounting a scope. I'd ditch them in favor of a tactical sight or a laser designator.
    IWI+X95+-L+Flattop+5.56mm.jpg

While I can understand the stylistic importance of the orange paint, it makes it look less like a gun and more like a plastic toy.

You might want to make the stock collapsible - short as shown for maximum maneuverability/concealment, expanding for greater control.
  • Stormy
    Thank you very much for the feed back.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    It wouldn't make sense to have a collapsible stock in a bullup. The whole point of one is that the firing happens back there, the ejection port, the barrel is shoved back too, that's how you get accurate short rifles like that. I for one like the orange paint even if it is a bit silly. Reminds me of the colors on a district 9 gun.
  • KartoonHead
    Offline / Send Message
    KartoonHead polycounter lvl 4
    I like it, but I think you've gone overboard on your accent colour, two strips on the side of the weapon are enough. Your mag should look more generic, as mags are very rarely made specifically for one particular weapon, let alone one weapon with one particular paint job!

Speaking of mags, what's that silvery thing under the grip? Looks like a pistol mag or something. Tbh I think the weapon would look better if you just lopped that bit off.

Edge highlights aren't showing up very well, perhaps consider re-baking for better normals. I also feel like the weapon should be plastic, like an MP5 or FN F2000, metal looks unrealistic for this modern type of gun.

For something like this the best reference I can think of is 3 Point Studios work doing guns for Brink. Art to aspire to. Take a trip over to their site and have a ganders. http://www.3pointstudios.com/portfolio_weapons.shtml