Offline / Send Message
BradMyers82 interpolator
***Latest***

Hunter_hp_render_03jpg

His finished Gun:
View in 3d, Marmoset viewer:
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/P4JO3

Gun Concept:  

Someone posted this concept art by Daryl Mandryk here on polycount and I just started sketching it in zbrush.

I like where its going so I'm going to take a break from my Bane character and work on this.

So far I just made a quick and dirty zbrush sketch. I basically wanted to establish proportions and stuff, so I can make a proper clean highpoly in 3ds max. Then I'm gonna come back into zbrush and finish the hp up there.

Here is where I am at...

mg_hunter_wip_01jpg

Replies

• alifarsangi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alifarsangi polycounter lvl 9
    nice work so far ! cant wait to see what comes out of that sketch ! Subscribed !
  • AlanSMitchell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlanSMitchell polycounter lvl 14
    Holy Hell! That looks so fucking sick!
    Damn I can't wait to see more.
  • razz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    razz polycounter lvl 9
    Well, shiiit, keep it coming!
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Hey dudes, I started working on this again. Looking at the thread date I guess I left people hanging for a bit. :)

Anyway, I'm using Modo now and I thought it would be a good time to finish this up. Here is a render from Modo of the cleaned up HP model from zbrush (remodeled sub-d). Its mostly done, except I have to finish the backpack which is why I didn't show a back view yet. I might remodel a few bits here and there cause I'm ocd about stuff, and I need to do a hp detail pass as well. Oh yea, and make him a gun of course. :D

hunter_hp_render_02.jpg
  • Burpee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Burpee polycounter lvl 9
  • Ausun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ausun polycounter lvl 4
    looking awesome!
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Burpee, Ausun: Thanks guys!

JoshuaG: Thanks for letting me know about that. I have no recollection of this being from Turok, so I'm not sure I ever knew. Makes me even more excited about making this, seeds of evil is one of my favorite games of all time. :D

Ok, I finished all the sub-d for the character.

Next I need to make him a gun. If anyone has any preferences on what the gun should look like please post up concepts here. The current concept doesn't have much of any detail showing in his gun so I'm not sure I'll even attempt to make the same thing he is holding (match the current silhouette).

On another note, I had to design the back parts as I didn't have an image for that, especially the backpack. Hope you guys like it. Let me know if you have any crits, and in the mean time I'll be working on that gun. :)

Hunter_hp_render_03.jpg
  • Cactus on Fire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cactus on Fire polycounter lvl 10
    Looks friggin amazing man. Great job !
  • Tkail
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That looks fantastic :D, if you don't mind me asking how did you do the ribbed rubber sleeves for the arms? They looks really cool.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Cactus On Fire: Thanks man!

Tkail: Thanks, I didn't do anything special there honestly, and I wouldn't recommend the way I did it actually. lol. The proper way to do it would make a straight cylinder with a bunch of loops and extrude those ribs out, then rig it/skin it to the character and bend it in place via the rig. But what I did since I only know how to rig in 3ds max (I'm working in modo here) is a mix of soft selection, falloffs and the move brush (move brush works the same in modo as zbrush). So its a pretty dirty way to model but since I kept the low poly non-subd version as simple as possible it wasn't that difficult to manipulate.

Here are the wires: sub-d on the left and non-subd on the right.
    hunter_arm_wires_01.jpg
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Here is the concept I was thinking about using for the gun. I realize its not similar to the one in the main concept but I think it would be cool for him to have a flame thrower with his current getup. Not sure where I found this gun concept from, sorry to who ever made it. :( I'd give the artist props if I knew who made it.

hunter_gun_concept_01.jpg
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Did a block out for the gun and a render to get a look at it.  Please excuse the shitty grunge overlay, haha.  I haven't done any detailing yet really, and I see I need to fix a few things with the main forms now that I've done the render.

• jhoythottle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jhoythottle polycounter lvl 7
    I feel like you modeled the gun slightly in perspective.  It seems like yours should be slightly longer, especially surrounding the barrel.  The shape of the grated metal plate is what caught my eye the most.  Yours is almost the shape of a square, when the concept is a longer rectangle.  Also, the grip of your gun looks a little too skinny.

Other than that, everything is looking super solid.  Loving project so far, nice work.

• BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Jhoythottle:  Thanks a lot for the kind words.  I totally agree about the proportions.  Yea, it is indeed cause I'm modeling in perspective as its the only ref I have, which has been a bit tricky as some of the concept literally is wrong in terms of dimensions (like the cylinder shape in the middle is too big for the body to fit around properly in places). But anyway, your criteria is totally correct so thanks I'm on it! :)
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Joshuag: haha, perfect!  What a weird coincidence.  I had a folder full of gun ref and I just chose that one cause I thought it fit the best.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Joshuag:  Thanks again man!  I was actually considering this one (I must have pulled a bunch of ref from somewhere and didn't realize it was all from turok) But I ended up choosing that flamethrower cause it looked cooler to me and I felt it sorta matched my characters outfit with the gas mask looking helmet and all.  But if I knew he was supposed to have this gun, I probably would have made it, but oh well.  I just want to finish the flamethrower so I can get back to the character. :)
  • Nuclear Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nuclear Angel polycounter
    Holy hell, this looks amazing! Why did you choose to do the HP in Modo rather than Zbrush? As I have not worked in Modo at all, and I am not comfortable with Hard Sruface work in Zbrush I would really like your thoughts on the subject ^^.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Joshuag: Thanks man, thats super helpful, I really appreciate it!

Nuclear Angel: Yea, a lot of people these days do hard surface work in zbrush.  I think many of them get pretty good results, however I feel I have more control over the exact shapes and edge quality in Modo versus zbrush, and you get a lot cleaner work faster working in Modo with sud-d versus zbrush (at least I do).  There are advantages and disadvantages to either, but I plan to go back into zbrush to take advantage of some of the tools there when I finish this up.  I think detailing in zbrush is really powerful, but I prefer to get the large clean shapes in traditional modeling software apps like modo.  But since I'm bouncing back and fourth between the two programs, hopefully I get the best of both worlds. :)

[edit] Just to my add to my thoughts on zbrush hardsurface stuff...  I notice when I look at peoples art, especially when doing similar style characters to the one I'm doing with lots of metal plates and stuff, often times I can look at the highpoly and know right away, "ok that was done in zbrush".  You can just see those super even cuts everywhere, and the bevels looks the same everywhere.  Its a subtle thing, but I really think it hurts the overall feel of the surfaces.  I see people get really good end results however (like in final renders), but I still prefer to handle those shapes outside of zbrush for that reason.
  • Nuclear Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @BradMyers82  Thank you for the great writeup. And you do bring up a fair point on the Zbrush Hard Surface looking quite the sameish, with the super hard cuts and so forth. But from the sound of it none of the work-flows are bad, just one question. How do you start building the shapes in Modo after you have done the main shapes in Zbrush? For me as an example, if I would do it in Maya/Max (as that is the softwares I know). I would start with  primitives and try to match the shapes from Zbrush. And use some live surface work with quadraw as well to complement the primitive work, and build up the forms like that. Is that the way you do it in Modo or are you using a different technique? And thank you again for the great answer.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    @Nuclear Angel : Sure man anytime!  Yea, its pretty much the same workflow in Modo as max/maya.  I'm originally a Max user.  The main place where the workflow differs in Modo is when you use the "smooth shader": "Rounded edge width" workflow, that Tor Frick pretty much made known to the 3d community.  If your interested in learning more about it you he has tutorials on Gum road: https://gumroad.com/snefer  .  But simply put, you can avoid sub-d all together in many situations and use the smooth shader to get soft edges like you would with sub-d.  The main limitation is it only smooths edges so the top of a cylinders edge can have a nice sub-d appearance without acutally sub-ding it.  But you cant add edges to that cylinder with the shader alone which is the main limitation.  So as long as you work with enough edges to make smooth transitions between surfaces you don't even have to sub-d, and the beauty of this is booleans and stuff work awesome cause you don't have to try and add support edges to the messed up geo you somtimes get with booleans.  

Anyway, to answer your first question, I use primitives if its a simple enough shape, otherwise; I go into Modo's retopo room and just retopo the shapes with as low poly geo as possible and either set that up for sub-d or use the smooth shader method.  Hope that answers your question.  Modo can be a rabbit hole that just keeps taking you deeper and deeper at first, lol! :D  But its well worth the effort in my opinion.  
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Here is a example of Modo's Smooth shader to help explain what I'm talking about incase you are interested...  
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    You can do cool stuff like this with booleans (took me like 30 seconds to do this):

(please ignore that white line going across, this is a viewport screen grab and thats part of the light widget. )
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Joshuag: Modo 801_SP4 its what we use at work.  I havent gotten into 901 yet.  Lots of cool stuff there but 801 gets the job done, so I'm in no rush to get 901.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    More detail work, didn't bother with a render too much effort and still more work to do.  Just thought I would document my progress.  :)
  • Nuclear Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @BradMyers82  Brilliant! ^^ I appreciate the write up, I will try Modo once I get a chance. And thank you for taking the time to provide pictures, they explain it brilliantly. And sweet progress on the gun, I like the direction for the character overall, and I think the weapon will complement it nicely. 
  • Maxilator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maxilator polycounter lvl 8
    Hey, looking really good here. Is there anything that you would say is lacking in Modo compared to Maya or Max?
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Nuclear Angel: Thanks man, my pleasure!

Joshuag: Yea, that was my first concern with this workflow, but actually Modo bakes normals perfectly when using this shader so as long as you bake normals in Modo (obviously if you use something like xnormal that doesn't support the shader it wont work) it will work perfectly for you.  As you can see in the image it smooths edges but also smooths intersections even if I don't boolean add them (no welding needed).  So I can literally drop a cube ontop of a slightly offset cube and it will smooth the transitions without any effort.  ( you can see that in action in that image where I have a smaller cylinder intersecting with the larger cylinder at an angle.  Also note, that you can easily set the meshes up with the shader to not smooth intersections.  So its not like you have to have smooth intersections if you don't want to, and you can always adjust the amount of smoothing too as needed.

Maxilator:  There are 3 things I miss from max that I can think of off the top of my head.  
      -The modifier stack.  You can use this in max to work non-destructively.  The only thing you can do in modo really is save iterations and copies of meshes, its a destructive workflow unfortantuly.  So if I bend something its bent for good, no going back in a modifier stack and adjusting the bend.

- Path deform.  This is an awesome modifier in max because you can manipulate complex objects on a spline in real time.  You don't need it too often, but when you do its super handy.  There are various scripts hacks and falloffs you can use in Modo, but its not nearly as powerful as max.

-FFD box.  I beleive there was a script for this at one point for modo, but I don't think there is any more. :(

-Oh, and invalid geo.  Its a steep learning curve dealing with invalid geo at times in Modo.  Modo lets you do anything, while max doesn't let you create invalid geo.  Its a double edged sword and most of the time I'm annoyed Modo lets me make retarded geo by accident.  You would be surprised how often it can happen if you aren't used to working a certain way to avoid invalid geo.

That said, there are so many things Modo does better than max.  Personally I can take the good with the bad and I still prefer Modo even though I am a long time max user.  I learned 3d on max and have used it for the majority of my professional career.  Still I think Modo is faster and overall a much more enjoyable experience over max.  Just know that if you dive in, its gonna be very very frustrating at first. lol.  Its worth it tho. :D
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Joshuag:  Yea man, its very cool.  I was planning on going back into zbrush after I got to a certain point with these highpoly's but I might not actually need to.  I have made other stuff with Modo, but never a full character.  So this is sorta new to me too and I'm finding my way as I go.
  • Maxilator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maxilator polycounter lvl 8
    @BradMyers82
    I see, I'll probably try it out at some point!
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Maxilator:  Cool man, message me if you have any questions when you get around to it.

I got the highpoly of the gun done on one side.  I need to model in some A symmetry bits on the opposite side but getting ready to wrap this up. :)

• _Kratos_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Kratos_ polycounter lvl 11
    Very nice man! love the progress so far! Legs and mask are my favourite parts!
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    _Kratos_: Thanks a lot man, its always interesting to hear what people like so I can put more love into other areas and bring them up too. :)

Finished the high poly, I'll make a proper render at some point, but on to the low poly gun now.  Making the low poly should be super fast and easy because of the smooth shader workflow I am using, I can literally copy and past most of the hp.  

After that, on to the uv's, baking, and texturing.  I'm gonna give substance painter a try (I have yet to use it but I've been watching some tutorials and it seems super easy to use).  

I'm planning on making the entire in-game gun model first before jumping back onto the character as it will get me prepared for whats ahead with the character (the important part, heh.)

• BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Here's the lowpoly.  I'll make the uvs and bake it out, then post the results next.

• BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    finally baked this out... here is a look at the lowpoly with normals.

• BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    First pass on this gun in substance painter.  This is a screen grab from substance painter.  I'm learning the program as I go, so its far from finished, but blocked in most of the base materials.

• BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Small update: Added the glass and the flame in.  Still screen grabs from painter.

• BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Got pretty much all the layers in that I want for the gun.  But a lot of it is pretty sloppy at this stage, so I have a lot of clean-up and polish to do.  But its getting closer now.  Please ignore the glass opacity not sorting properly.  I fixed it in photoshop last time, but I didn't bother this time.  This is also a low quality render (screen grab in substance painter again) and textures arn't at full res, but you get the idea anyway.

• BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Little more work on this.  Next step is to take it into Marmoset and polish it up.

• BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Ok, gonna work on the presentation some, put it up in the marmoset viewer.  But I think its pretty much done now, so I can go back to working on the character.  Here are a couple marmoset toolbag grabs.

• BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Ok, finished the gun.  You can view it with marmoset viewer here:  https://www.artstation.com/artwork/P4JO3

Back to the character! :)

• BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Finishing up the highpoly of this guy.  I got side-tracked making this penguin character (which is now on my website).

I decided I wanted to attach his gun to the backpack so it seemed like the backpack was more functional.  I think it makes it a bit more interesting overall.

I'm currently sculpting on the cloth parts including reworking much of the hands (they were pretty temp).  But the highpoly should be done pretty soon, so I can then start working on the lowpoly, uv's and bakes.

Modo screen grabs, just to show the progress...