Home General Discussion

Unrealistic Sales Goals

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
praetus interpolator
So, it's no surprise that AAA games require AAA funding but at what point does a game hit an unrealistic budget? I ask this after seeing this article today.

http://www.destructoid.com/tomb-raider-hitman-sleeping-dogs-all-failed-square-enix-249692.phtml

"Sleeping Dogs has sold an estimated 1.75 million copies to day, followed by Tomb Raider at 3.4 million and Hitman at 3.6 million. Square Enix blames these "slows sales" in part for its "extraordinary" financial losses this year."

What? Maybe I am naive but 3.4 million seems like a hell of a lot of copies. Are the projections at SE just too high or is this the new goal to have a successful title?

Replies

• Kevin Albers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Albers polycounter lvl 18
    Square Enix said the games failed to meet their sales targets, which is not the same as failing to make a profit. I assume Tomb Raider and Hitman made some sort of profit, but didn't sell quite as many copies as the marketing folks expected.

For most AAA games, I hope they are budgeted such that selling a million units covers the production and marketing costs of the game. If you absolutely need to sell several million units to turn any profit, your goal's are probably unreasoble (and/or you are making an MMO).
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    depends on the budget? i'm pretty sure Sleeping Dogs was going to be a True Crime game, and squeenix just bought the rights to it along with the already developed content (it was already playable from start to finish). but the other two titles might have had incredibly high budgets which could still lead to a loss.

i mean, if Tomb Raider sold 3.4 million copies at ~$55 per copy (averaged from price reduction due to sales, and exchange rates etc. and it's still a new game so the price hasn't been lowered yet) that's still "only" $187m.

i don't know how exactly that can still be considdered a loss making figure, as that kind of budget is usually reserved for mmo's and the like... but there's probably a lot going on in the background we don't know about.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Square Enix said the games failed to meet their sales targets, which is not the same as failing to make a profit. I assume Tomb Raider and Hitman made some sort of profit, but didn't sell quite as many copies as the marketing folks expected.

For most AAA games, I hope they are budgeted such that selling a million units covers the production and marketing costs of the game. If you absolutely need to sell several million units to turn any profit, your goal's are probably unreasoble (and/or you are making an MMO).

http://www.psu.com/a018894/Analyst--Tomb-Raider-must-sell-5-10-million-to-profit

sites like this don't help, i guess.
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    It isnt really that much for all the consoles owned, everywhere, why arent people buying games?
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    why would anyone buy games new when they can get them slightly cheaper used?

money money money. 60 bucks is too much to pay now days. we're also looking at 70 bucks for next gen. when will we stop being idiots as an industry and see that we're going down a fast spiral?

If anyone ever brings up, 'games used to cost 60 bucks back in the 90s too.' slap them in the face with inflation. 60 dollar games back then are equal to buying 36 dollar games now. 60 dollar games now are equal to buying 96 dollar games back then. (1992 vs 2012)

it really takes simple math to know if your game stands the chance to be profitable.
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    Double dip recession, rise in the cost of living, cut backs in support, it's not the healthiest marketplace right now so that could be a factor in lack of sales.

Still don't see how 3.4-3.6 million copies are failures, maybe they need to un-bloat their expenditure?

edit, And as Skanker said above, why pay full price when i can wait for a steam sale in a year or less?

I've offset myself a year for most new releases and paid a fraction of the price for the same game. If it doesn't have multi-player why bother paying full price for a pretty story when you can pay £5-15 for it on offer? A little bit of self control goes a long way and now i can buy a new game every other month for a few quid.

Edit;

The indie aspect has to come up too. cheaper games just as full fulling game-play wise, cheaper to buy and make.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    as a person that's very broke right now, i only bought 3 retail games last year. lollipop chainsaw, Halo 4, and TTs Walking Dead.

However, I did kickstart countless indie games at 20 bucks.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    It's not just games, lets be fair. Movie budgets have exploded too.

Take a look at John Carter. The total expenditure was said to be in the region of $600 million. How could you ever recoup those losses? It's absurd to even think it would break even, let alone make a profit.

If we consider that the return may have been $4 per box-office sale on average (probably less in global terms), and the same again for a DVD for the sake of simplicity - you're looking at 150,000,000 box office sales or DVD sales or 1 in every 40 people on the planet. Absolute madness.
  • okkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okkun polycounter lvl 18
    I don't disagree games need to be cheaper but I think you've got that backwards, 60 dollars now gets you less than in 92 so paying 60 bucks today is in fact cheaper (equal to paying 36 bucks in 92). Inflation generally pushes prices up.

I think I got that right?

If anyone ever brings up, 'games used to cost 60 bucks back in the 90s too.' slap them in the face with inflation. 60 dollar games back then are equal to buying 36 dollar games now. 60 dollar games now are equal to buying 96 dollar games back then. (1992 vs 2012)

it really takes simple math to know if your game stands the chance to be profitable.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    yeah, back in "the good old days" we were paying, adjusted for inflation, $70+ for games with indie sized teams and budgets
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    wasn't the general cost of living lower back then too, though? which meant people had more money to spend on items like that.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okkun wrote: »
    I don't disagree games need to be cheaper but I think you've got that backwards, 60 dollars now gets you less than in 92 so paying 60 bucks today is in fact cheaper (equal to paying 36 bucks in 92). Inflation generally pushes prices up.

I think I got that right?

http://www.westegg.com/inflation/infl.cgi
    What cost $60 in 1992 would cost $96.72 in 2012.
    Also, if you were to buy exactly the same products in 2012 and 1992,
    they would cost you $60 and $36.90 respectively.

it means our money is worth less now days. Back then you could buy more for less.
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah, back in "the good old days" we were paying, adjusted for inflation, $70+ for games with indie sized teams and budgets

yet games had full campaigns multiplayer and much more. Now its 59.99 for a base game you want this DLC and that DLC more and more money for less and less
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nick2730 wrote: »
    yet games had full campaigns multiplayer and much more. Now its 59.99 for a base game you want this DLC and that DLC more and more money for less and less

not to mention most games now days are broken upon release. It's become a pretty accepted fact.

granted, games are much larger and more complex now than they used to be, but just because they can be, doesn't mean they should be.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    not to mention most games now days are broken upon release. It's become a pretty accepted fact.

I find this pretty depressing. Thing is, it's not small, overlookable issues a lot of the time either. Game-breaking things like save systems that just don't work are being shipped in retail products :/
  • Equanim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Equanim polycounter lvl 11
    I don't think inflation really plays a factor here because games (depending on your studio) don't take 20 years to make and the retail amount is known prior to development.

I think the core problem is speculation. As another poster mentioned, those are "targeted sales", NOT profits. These are also projected losses, NOT actual losses. Unfortunately the business world likes to operate on "risk" (speculation) so there's a lot of assumption that money will be in a certain place within a certain time frame.

True profits wont be known for years. All of those games will see a slight surge in sales when Steam offers them at a reduced price. The great thing about digital distribution is that your product has near zero upkeep value, is infinitely reproducible, and you can still charge for it.

There are also benefits to reporting losses such as tax breaks and reduced royalty fees. I've mentioned before that Hollywood's been doing this for decades.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollywood_accounting

edit: I don't think shady accounting is what's happening in this case, but I still think speculation is the core issue.
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    I feel like the fact that we're at the end of the console's life cycles probably doesn't help. On one hand I'm sure you've got people thinking they might want to pick things up for this generation while they're still being made, but I think a lot of people are probably waiting or saving up for the next generation coming later this year. Especially if the next generation won't be natively backwards compatible (confirmed on the Sony side, at least).

And with PC gaming resurfacing a bit, as someone mentioned Steam sales are something you can pretty much always count on later.
  • VelvetElvis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VelvetElvis polycounter lvl 12
    We are in a global recession, despite what any sort of news outlet will tell you. Most people these days, like myself, who now again have the means to buy games after going through tough financial times are holding on to their money. We are being more cautious about throwing it around and buying on a whim. I still buy games but I buy them much more cautiosly than before. In the past if I bought a flop of a game, oh well. Easy come easy go. Today, screw that. If I am going to buy your product, it better be good.

Tomb raided has to sell 5-10 million to make a profit? Isn't +/- 5 million a rather HUGE range?

Yeah I agree, I'm not going to buy Bioshock until a steam sale this summer. Same thing with Tomb Raider. I'm done buying games a full price then having them drop 50% in just a few months. Then get DLC'd to death. The other issue is in the past 60 bucks generally got you a good working game. Now 60 bucks gets you a game that at 1am after the midnight release there are 2 patches you need to download to fix all of the bugs that they didn't have time to fix since they jammed the game out the door.

The industry has hurt itself with shoddy releases and massive price drops just months after the release. It also doesn't help that marketing costs are through the roof for games. Those sexy trailers don't come for free. I love the work that studios like Blur do for games, but is that really necessary? I think Halo 4 would have sold extremely well despite the TV spots.
  • Rurouni Strife
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rurouni Strife polycounter lvl 10
    I think as far as Squeenix goes, they were projecting their Edios titles to sell more than was realistic. 3 Mil for Tomb Raider and it's been out a month maybe? That's damn good. I didn't realize Hitman had 3 Mil sold either (at a slower pace). Sleeping Dogs was never going to make money unless it did Call of Duty numbers. Blame it's crazy development cycle.

I personally think that part of Square's problem is the Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts teams. How much money was sunk into 14? And then into 14 again? Did FF 13-2 perform as well as they wanted? Is the demand for JRPG in the west what it use to be? It's way more complex than what Square says in their press releases.

That's kind of what I think BUT yes-all the points about game budgets and the economy are all relevant and true as well.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Is the demand for JRPG in the west what it use to be?

Yes, BUT people have largely lost faith in squeenix' ability to create a good one. hell, FFXIII was FFX with updated graphics, everything from the storyline to the world system and even the sphere upgrades was just TOO similar.

The stupid thing is, their fans tell them exactly what they want them to do: go back to the way the VII, VIII and IX were. those are the kind of jrpg people love.

FFVII's shortest possible play through without doing any of the sidequests is longer than it takes to complete XIII with all of the hunts. shameful.
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    I think that is what I was curious about. If these type of sales vs reception is the norm or if it was just SE projecting the failures of their other brands and thinking that their newly aqcuired IP would magically save them.

Also, if this is the norm what type of affect do you think it is going to have on AAA titles in the future? While the payout can be huge, so is the gamble for publishers. I'm curious to see what changes could happen in development because of this.
  • binopittan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The stupid thing is, their fans tell them exactly what they want them to do: go back to the way the VII, VIII and IX were. those are the kind of jrpg people love.

Bravely Default.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Well, this is news, I still remember when companies like Relic were proud to have sold 1.25M copies over a period of 1 year of Warhammer, or the Witcher making 600K copies in 6 months and made a nice profit in turn.

Talk about farcry (pun intended) on the way things turned around and people like to hyperbole stuff.
    Equanim wrote: »
    I don't think inflation really plays a factor here because games (depending on your studio) don't take 20 years to make and the retail amount is known prior to development.

I think the core problem is speculation. As another poster mentioned, those are "targeted sales", NOT profits. These are also projected losses, NOT actual losses. Unfortunately the business world likes to operate on "risk" (speculation) so there's a lot of assumption that money will be in a certain place within a certain time frame.

True profits wont be known for years. All of those games will see a slight surge in sales when Steam offers them at a reduced price. The great thing about digital distribution is that your product has near zero upkeep value, is infinitely reproducible, and you can still charge for it.

There are also benefits to reporting losses such as tax breaks and reduced royalty fees. I've mentioned before that Hollywood's been doing this for decades.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollywood_accounting

As the saying goes "People who know less about something, the more opinions they have about it" perfectly sums up the situation many report on in this case, it honestly sad to see this happen.
  • Zocky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    Well, dunno, but in the situation that world is at the moment, when you make a game that sells 3.6 mil copies, and you needed twice as much to be profitable...i don't know, that just sounds too much to me, or rather, unrealistic.

Would be interesting to see how much of that budget goes into actual development, how much into marketing, how much into DRM implementation, etc.
  • Equanim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Equanim polycounter lvl 11
    We're already seeing the effects with DLC and shoehorned features like multilayer and season passes. Personally I don't have a problem with either, but I question their effectiveness.

Take the Mass Effect series. I loved ME2 so much that I happily own every DLC for it. ME3 on the other hand was a far weaker title imo. I didn't buy it for the multiplayer and the campaign didn't exactly blow my hair back. (Endings were fine.) As a result, I have no interest in the DLC.

In order to make money on additional content, a game needs to expand on what it does well and reward its core audience, not try and cover additional bases. If Bioware had released epilogs for each Mass Effect character in the form of DLC, they could have made a killing.

I'm curious to see how The Walking Dead ended up. It seems like episodic content would help minimize the gamble on part of the studio because they could halt production on a series that wasn't offering healthy returns.
  • JamesWild
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesWild polycounter lvl 8
    I dunno, I just see AAA games being churned out on budgets of millions, and they're almost all completely boring to me. Too many games being built by people with no life experience to draw from, only knowing games development. No, no, throw some more budget at assets, that'll fix it for sure.

Let me show you, in a nutshell how to make a game that's just flat out not interesting.
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1312036782/project-awakened?ref=search
    The description is all about the character creation system. The engine they're using. The technology.

So what do I do in this game? Shouldn't that be the very first thing in your description?

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/64409699/ftl-faster-than-light?ref=search
    BAM! I am in space commanding a ship.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1757963851/planet-explorers?ref=category
    BAM! I am exploring a dangerous world.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kingartgames/battle-worlds-kronos-turn-based-strategy-revisited?ref=category
    BAM! RTS, so I'm controlling/building an army.

Interesting games in which what you do is clearly defined and interesting, set in an interesting world, sell like hotcakes. This doesn't just apply to indie/Kickstarter, just clear cut examples in isolation there.

I'm bored of games that play, look and feel like other games, or try to be artsy/different for the sake of it. Implementation details are not what shifts titles.

Throwing more budget at the problem just increases the amount of return you need to make and increases the weight of the risk.

I realize the hypocrisy here, given I repeatedly fall down the same traps. Identifying the problem is the first step towards solving it, however.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    in my experience at THQ, and dealing with their wild expectations of most of their games (releasing spacemarine 2 weeks before gears 3.....and expecting to sell 3-5 mill copies? what fuckin galaxy were they in)

they project insane profits for most of their games and when the final numbers come back, it might still make a profit, but because they projected 3x the profit they call it a loss and that results in their stock price plumeting. in most cases ive seen it seems like pure greed on the part of publishers, always aiming for COD style profits.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    It seems some of these upper management people are so out of touch with reality its insane.

If your game dosent have the words "Call of Duty" in it please stop "expecting" it to sell 5+ million units because it most likely wont. 3.4 million units for a game that came out like 2 or 3 weeks ago on Tomb Raider is an extremely impressive sales figure.
  • Bibendum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really surprised, I was under the impression Tomb Raider easily surpassed its sales expectations.

Square Enix is preparing to post major losses this year and the president is stepping down. Supposedly most of the losses are from restructuring so hopefully the games at least turned a justifiable profit.
  • VelvetElvis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VelvetElvis polycounter lvl 12
    My game only sold 3.4 million copies in 2 weeks? Ahhhhhhh!!!!! (Jumps out window)

The business end of some of these publisher's crack pipes has to be red hot.
  • Paradan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The huge projections are probably related to shady stock option deals. When the real numbers hit, the companies stock stock dips a bit trigger the deal, and someone makes a nice tidy sum.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    binopittan wrote: »
    Bravely Default.

i don't have a DS, but i've heard great things.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    nick2730 wrote: »

I remember paying $60 for C64 games when I grew up... games 1 - 10 people could program... Sometimes I'm surprised how cheap games are nowadays, but I guess they also sell more copies so it must even out.
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    Autocon wrote: »
    It seems some of these upper management people are so out of touch with reality its insane.

If your game dosent have the words "Call of Duty" in it please stop "expecting" it to sell 5+ million units because it most likely wont. 3.4 million units for a game that came out like 2 or 3 weeks ago on Tomb Raider is an extremely impressive sales figure.

^^ This, man I facepalmed when I read the original article. Its almost unbelievable.
  • Bibendum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Tomb Raider number might have been based on the fact that Uncharted 3 sold almost 4 million on day 1 which was more than 2 years ago. With growth and the fact that Tomb Raider had a much bigger market by virtue of being multiplatform maybe they expected to sell just as well if not better?
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Uncharted is one of the main IPs for the PS3, there's no surprise it sells well. It's like one of Sony's "Halos".
  • Bibendum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sure but Tomb Raider isn't exactly an unknown IP either and while Uncharted is a star title on the PS3, its market was limited to people who owned PS3s, not something Tomb Raider had to deal with.

Anyway I don't know, just throwing out a possibility. I try not to assume people are just delusional because I don't understand their behavior, might turn out to be true but doesn't seem like an interesting way to look at things.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    The recent Tomb Raider games weren't great and they were kinda starting fresh and doing a reboot. I think you should always expect your game to do "average" sales wise. Not every game can be a hit.
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    Also, it looks like its only the retail sales, there is no data about the digital sales, which would push the total sale higher. The whole, "I invest $10 and want 1200% return" attitude is just stupid, seriously, greed.
  • TrevorJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TrevorJ polycounter lvl 9
    McGreed wrote: »
    seriously, greed.

IRONY!!!!

sorry i totally agree, it was just funny when i saw it
  • dtschultz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dtschultz polycounter lvl 12
    Autocon wrote: »

Yeah, that's what I thought as well. Tomb Raider is an awesome game- beautifully made.

I'm so sick of playing games that are really impressive and you can tell the developers put a lot of love and time into them, but they don't meet some crazy sales figure, so layoffs are necessary (I really hope this isn't true for Crystal Dynamics). Plus, from what I've seen, the projected sales figures aren't just to cover the costs of Crystal Dynamics, they are probably used to fund all Square Enix corporate people and their activities. So, the game might be a success for the studio, but it has to cover the costs of all the overhead at the parent company as well.
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    TrevorJ wrote: »
    IRONY!!!!

sorry i totally agree, it was just funny when i saw it

Takes one to know one. ;) So you can take my comment seriously, because I'm an expert!
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You guys need to realize that the current sales for TR are amazing for what you get based upon the legacy, here is a video that while doesn't specifically talk about the current issue and has some iffy points, briefly mentions some key concepts between the new and older TR titles:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqm3_v9aZQY"]Errant Signal - Tomb Raider - YouTube[/ame]

Basically, the last TR game before the reboot still managed to look like a game out of the 90's, with stiff game mechanics and somewhat sexy-angsty protagonist, this is around the same time Uncharted was around.

So you essentially had in the years post 2000, a game that played like the first TR game vs. Uncharted, which one would you honestly pick? And if the bust size of a character is going to decide that for you, then that's another story.

Lets also no forget that TR1 and 2 were the only titles that for their 'time' even tried improving the formula of the genre, the latter ones were re-hashes that only hardcore fans bought, and the sale figures and IP heritage trickled from there, with the IP almost coming to a full close with "Angel of Darkness" (seriously, it was said at one point the IP could be sold for peanuts and it still would be too much) before a series of 'HD Revamped' versions were published and carried on Nostalgia.

Seriously, I don't know what upper management expected at this point, when you have an IP like that of TR which at one point became a 'joke' and that only people that have blind IP loyalty bought, out of a market of several hundred million gamers I might add as your pool, expecting a rebooted version of the game to even sell 1 million copies in the opening month alone is a miracle considering the back story.

This game sold very well for what it had.

EDIT: As usual, a few of you peeps pointed out that these sale figures don't take into consideration Digital sales...AS USUAL, just so the Publishers can get Tax Cuts on so called 'failed to meet expectations' product, considering how well many 'underdog' games do in the Digital Market, I'm not surprised.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    this is pretty much the game industry now:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjZRAvsZf1g"]Wu Tang Clan "C.R.E.A.M." - YouTube[/ame]
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wester polycounter lvl 13
    The world around the game industry is changing. People aren't making as much money, cost of living is rising and people are just not buying as many games as they used to. It's taking the business folks a really long time to catch up, if they will at all. Gamers are also being less impressed by visuals and more by game play as the industry is becoming pretty saturated with the same game types. People want freshness in gameplay.

It's a failed business model that's only going to get worse with the next (more expensive) generation of games.
  • okkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okkun polycounter lvl 18
    http://www.westegg.com/inflation/infl.cgi

it means our money is worth less now days. Back then you could buy more for less.

Forgot about this thread..

If our money is worth less, shouldn't we technically be paying more now for the same thing? Prices for everything else goes up with inflation but if we're saying the price for video games has stayed basically the same doesn't that mean in relation to everything else they are getting cheaper?
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

If our money is worth less, shouldn't we technically be paying more now for the same thing? Prices for everything else goes up with inflation but if we're saying the price for video games has stayed basically the same doesn't that mean in relation to everything else they are getting cheaper?
    Shhhhh! Don't say that, or else you will ruin our idealistic view of the world! /s

Yes, they should, but it could be also argued that only now games are catching up in terms of retail price by many compared to how many were being payed for so little previously, by the inflation margin alone, some games should be costing now around the same price of a second hand rusty old car ($1629.74 to be exact).

Then there is issue that games are just games, you likely-hood of paying higher bills vs. paying higher games aren't going to work out honestly, or food alone being a large money sink. There is a reason the Gov't subsidized in the US millions to make cheap Corn, so that it can be used in alot of food to keep down the prices for alot of the stuff with their cheap lovely fattening fructose.
    While games don't fall in that ball-park, it's hard to argue in selling one at an inflated price rate "just because that's how money is dictated" in our age will fly well, and many people will inevitably run game price numbers by movies, and compared them to that figures honestly of 'hours' worth of entertainment.

It's a slipper slope, not sure if in these years raising the prices will have positive feedback at all.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Back then you were paying for a physical cartridge, actual instruction books, in some cases extra maps / marketing, physical boxes, etc. Now days you don't get any of that. You are lucky to get an actual jewel case now days in most pc games. Don't even get me started with the prices big publishers want for fully digital games either.

See, the truth is, we are paying more for 'the same thing'. If we were paying the same amount, then games would be 36 bucks right now.

Inflation is weird, and I keep trying to wrap my mind around things like this, so if I'm getting any of the logic wrong, please forgive me. I tried looking for graphs that illustrate how much less our dollar is worth now than it was in the past, but I couldn't choose which one illustrated it the best, so here's a bunch:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=graph+us+dollar+inflation+over+time&hl=en&safe=off&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=oBtfUefXMOaayQGJ9YDgDQ&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1473&bih=1162#imgrc=_

Either way you look at it, game prices haven't gone up enough to support the amount that game budgets have gone up. From what I remember reading, most games are funded entirely by the success of one or two ips the publisher has because of how successful they are. Almost everything else is at a loss.

good news though, we're almost 1:1 with the yen again!
  • okkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okkun polycounter lvl 18
    Well, discounting the lack of hardware to go along with the game purchase you are actually getting a product that cost more to produce than it did back in the early 90's. Which is I guess the whole point of this thread and why old school studios are closing left and right, they've priced themselves out of the market with ridiculous budgets.

People are voting with their wallets and right now smaller budget "F2P" is winning
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah, unfortunately game budgets are transparent to the average user. I wouldn't doubt many of them actually think games cost a couple thousand dollars to make. Hell, most probably actually believe we make games with game controllers in our hands.

The only thing that matters to them is that games 'cost too much new'.