Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] - Tyler Wilson - Artist

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
TWilson polycounter lvl 18
Heyo, I haven't posted here in ages. Just lurked.

Lately I found some time to redo my portfolio. A lot of the content is old but one thing at a time. Here it is:

sitepreview.jpg

Whatcha think?

Replies

• BrianP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BrianP polycounter lvl 7
    hey Tyler. looks like a great folio. in my personal opinion I like to see art in my face first thing. Maybe switch around the portfolio and "about" so you go directly to your art when entering the website. I also dont see an email adress anywhere. i could have overlooked this but you may want to think about putting some kind of contact info other than the one built into the site. Lastly i dont see how the "friends" section is relevant personally i would remove that entire section.
  • Urzaz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Urzaz polycounter lvl 6
    OH MY GOD TYLER WILSON!? We went to high school together!

Wait, no... maybe that was another Tyler Wilson.

Haha, ok, all joking aside, I'm really not in a position to critique anyone's portfolio, so I'll regurgitate some stuff I've heard from people waaaay smarter/more talented than me.

I like it in general, it COULD be full size images on one simple page, rather than clickthroughs, I've heard art leads enjoy that type of simplicity, but what you have here is perfectly serviceable in my (weak) estimation.

It seems like you have some really nice work, do you want the MotoX Mayhem displayed where it is? It kind of looks like you're displaying the art assets and again, I've heard you're only as strong as the weakest piece in your portfolio, so at a glance it just kind of takes away from the impact. I think the idea here is to show it off as your own, successful project, notsomuch just the art? I want to do game design/art/development, so I know I'll have this problem as well, but as an art portfolio it kind of detracts from it, I think. The personal stuff looks pretty good, and it gets pushed "below the fold" of the webpage, as it were, which is a bad thing, I think.

Other Polycounters who actually know shit please tell me how wrong I am about all this stuff. I'm guessing. GUESSING.

Anyway Tyler Wilson, I envy your skillz.
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    oh wow, Tyler, long time no see...

Looks great man, keep up the good work.
  • moondog760
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for sharing. Inspiring stuff all around.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice stuff Tyler,
    Like Brian said it'd probably better if it opened on your art; I thought it was missing when it first loaded:poly122:

Considering the amount of titles you've worked on it feels a little light on content though. Is that due to nda restrictions?
  • Clark Coots
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Clark Coots polycounter lvl 12
    Nice work Tyler!
  • TWilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TWilson polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks for the feedback so far! I incorporated a bunch of it.
    -Downplaying the friend links (added skills and tools instead)
    -Downplayed my mobile games
    -Moved personal work up
    -Added direct links to some old content but not thumbnails
    -Added an email image in the footer.

I haven't taken the most obvious feedback yet which would be to swap Portfolio and About to make art the first thing a visitor sees. I feel the About is more important for the site purpose right now. However I've also set it up so I can give someone a link like: tylersart.com/portfolio

Regarding Friend links, I feel they can add credibility to an artist or site. Like a little link exchange name dropping. Most of them link back to me as well.
  • ducckz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ducckz polycounter lvl 6
    i dont know if its just my pc but the white background is really bright for me and makes me sqeeze my eyes
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    Wow. Great stuff and there's loads there.

I agree that the click throughs are a bit annoying and don't make it clear how much there is. You just don't know what the next image will be as well.

I would consider thumbnails for each image as that would work so much better.
  • Natland
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Natland polycounter lvl 9
    Hey Tyler,

It's awesome that you are revamping your stuff! I agree that there should be more content though, I think you should make another personal piece maybe? I love seeing what you come up with. The bear has never been my favorite, so maybe it could replace him?
    Anyways, we miss you at the studio. Good luck!
  • shinobix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shinobix polycounter lvl 16
    Wow, Tyler, haven't seen any activity from you in a long time!! Hope things are good with you in Vancouver!! Ping me sometime.