Home Technical Talk

Baking Fibermesh - Weird Normals/Smoothing Groups

Eison
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Eison polycounter lvl 5
Ey Polycount, I've been having a problem with baking fibermesh to a Low-Poly mesh with Xnormal or Maya. I get a really harsh gradient from pink to blue. And it seems the problem is the High-Polys smoothing groups and I can't seem to fix those in Maya by making the edges soft or hard or unlocking them.
As you can see in the image below, I tried to average the normals and it helps... a little bit... very little. Flipping the normals in Xnormal seemed to also help... a little bit...

Anyone know how to fix this, or is it just better to never use fibermesh for baking and just use hair-planes.

In the image below you can see my first three tries with the "raw" High-Poly from Zbrush and the second three images are from the mesh I gave average normals with Maya.
wrongnormals.png

This is how it mostly looks like on the Low-Poly. On the left of her there is an orange light, on her right a white light and behind her a dark purple light. I took one of the six random normal maps in this screenshot but they are all wrong and show the lights on the wrong side.
wrongwrongnes.png

This is the "raw" High-Poly from Zbrush in Maya. As you can see there are some weird smoothing groups in the center, and those are probably what gives me the harsh gradient in the normal map.
wrongwrongnessssss.png

Also, I baked the hair on other things (like a sphere or a lot of planes) but it still looked bad, so it has to be the High_poly giving me these artifacts.