Home General Discussion

Just updated my Game Art Website, What do you think? Critique?

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
CarlK3D polycounter lvl 7
Any Ideas or any critiquing would be appreciated thanks :)

It's both my website & Blog
It's not brought out yet but I plan to do so in the future

Website/Blog - http://carlkdesign.wordpress.com/

I'm a 2nd Year Game Art student, It has all my good work from Year 1 & 2 if you would like to have a look here are a few quick links

Year 1 Final - http://carlkdesign.wordpress.com/1st-year-final/year-1-final-game-level/

Year 2 Models - http://carlkdesign.wordpress.com/3d-models/aie-2nd-year-models/

Replies

• Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    You still have a long way to go - it's like my first 3D work ;) What I wish somebody had told me back then is to focus - it's great to try everything out, and you did that. You should really focus on something you feel you're good at and/or that you enjoy and then focus, focus, focus. There's not a single piece that would get you a job right now, if that's what you're after.

I also recommend you work on 2 things which are super important:
    * attention to detail! start with the spelling and grammar on your page, but don't stop there. What separates good work from really great pieces is attention to detail. Artists who care about artistic detail are just the guys that make every AD happy. Artists who care about technical details are the ones who make the producers happy because we don't waste time fixing bugs to get your stuff in the engine.

Look at the art pieces you have - there's so much detail everywhere that can be added, just on the modeling and texturing alone. Take 1 or 2 pieces of your existing folio and just polish the hell outta them and get some experience doing that.

Most of your pieces look terribly rushed. And yes, you may wonder "when I put lots of hours into one asset nobody will hire me". But you really have to make 1 industry standard asset yet before moving on. Once you did that make the next production ready asset, and so on. You will get faster each time you do it. Until you are as fast doing a production ready asset as you're now doing those things you have.

* Traditional art skills: you can never have enough of those. composition, perspective. And again attention to detail. It really shows in your concepts that you lack those. Get a sketchbook and start sketching like mad! See if your college has some traditional art classes you can take!

Good luck!
  • CarlK3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the In-depth Detail.
    The main area I want to get into is Environment Art Such as Game Level Design/Creation & Game Engines mostly UDK & Unity so I'll study the hell out of those.

Its crazy the amount of things you can do in game engines such as in my last project I created a Shader in Unity and I thought that was amazing :P

and yes most of my work is rushed since we are learning everything in set time periods so were always under the pump.
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yes most of my work is rushed since we are learning everything in set time periods so were always under the pump.

Yea that happens in school...kinda sucks.

I agree that you just...need to keep improving and work on getting better work up there.

Also for your portfolio...maybe I'm just tired...but the bright colors and text all over the place around your images is really distracting and it makes your work not stand out as much as it should. Definitely take a look at other peoples portfolios around here and you'll see that its pretty common for people to have minimalist websites where your eyes get drawn to their art immediately.

Keep at it man.

Also...general discussion probably isn't the best spot for a post like this. Your more likely to find people who want to critique you in Pimping and Previews.
  • CarlK3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for letting me know, This is my 1st post so I wasn't to sure on the best place to put this, Perhaps I can move or get it moved to Pimping and Previews
  • CarlK3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also gsokol I'm in Love with your Icicle Shader, Its simply amazing, Cant wait to do shaders in UDK :3
  • CarlK3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've also just added some work from a Game Level we had to do in the last 6 weeks
    My texturing Technique really improved over the course of this Assignment so it was worth it, Also I was quite happy with how most of my Assets turned out, mainly there textures
    http://carlkdesign.wordpress.com/1st-year-final/year-2-1st-term-game-level-unity/