Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Dinosaur portfolio project

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Parralax polycounter lvl 4
I've been working on a new portfolio piece for the last couple of days and are just looking for some critique to further help me enhance the piece before it goes into my portfolio.

Images of the current model both untextured and textured are shown below;

Untextured_zpsef77c60f.jpg

Textured_zps994890b7.jpg

Replies

• Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    You're off to a pretty good start there - you've got the basic proportions and structure of the allosaurus down pretty well, but I think you could push him much further.

I sculpted an Allosaurus for a Walking with Dinosaurs project a while back. There's a concept artist, Todd Marshall, who does a lot of great, dramatic dinosaur designs that I found really helpful. He's got a few variants on the allosaurus. I think I wound up using this one primarily, taking bits and pieces for the others that looked good. The freedom you have when doing dinosaurs is always fun as no one really knows what they looked like down to a very fine level
    hd_5b97b517fce6d9965801711fffd35c3a.jpg
  • Parralax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have given the dinosaur more flare by adding spines to the neck and tail of the creature, I have also created a plinth on which to display the asset in my portfolio.

These changes are shown in the below image;
    spines_zpsf02fc84f.jpg

Any further critique would be appreciated as I am constantly trying to improve this model.
  • Miranda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking pretty good, but can I recommend putting a curved plane behind your models, and a light in front? It's very hard to see against the background gradient.

Also, can you post your texture maps? I think this could benefit from a nice specular map.

Also, the pose is very static, even moving one leg forward and one back would make the balance much more believable. I feel as though he could be pushed over very easily.
  • Parralax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback Miranda

I agree the background does make it hard to see.

The model is polypainted and has not been retopped/unwrapped so it does not currently have any texture maps.
  • Parralax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have created a beauty render in ZBrush in order to add some specular to the model before I attempt to repose it. The beauty render is shown below;

render_zpsb9244102.jpg
  • DiegoTeran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DiegoTeran polycounter lvl 11
    its really dark
  • Clos323
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah putting against a white background probably is not best. also i feel the the head and the core of the body is kind of on the narrow side. also im not a dinosaur expert but in the drawing that hands are more thick and the individual "fingers" are much bigger too. same goes for the feet.. the toes are much more spread apart in the neutral position and feels more stable and balanced. from the front view in your model the "toes" look ok but from the profile view you can really see how unproportional they are to body and it would be hard to believe those small toes can take all that weight.. in the drawing the leg itself almost seems to to get bigger or be equal in thickness from hip to toes... see diagram below..you need to study the anatomy itself a little further. but you def got something to work with right here..best of luck
    sKyxnUE.jpg
  • Lavitz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lavitz polycounter lvl 12
    I agree with Clos323, the body from front view feels a bit awkward. It is very difficult to find solid reference for front view, but I would widen a areas that would give him more thickness.
    He looks great in side view, I just feel he loses a lot in the front view which will show in 3/4 and when posed.
  • Parralax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback guys,

I have thickened out the legs to give him a more solid base and also help him appear more bulky in the front view.

thick_zps336b215b.jpg

Any further critique would be appreciated.