Home General Discussion

In House Art Test

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
MeshModeler polycounter lvl 11
I applied to a studio and took an art test, I passed and they asked me to come down for an interview, and to take a in house art test.

Has anyone ever had a similar experience? is this a norm for game studios?

Thanks

Replies

• breakneck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    breakneck polycounter lvl 13
    I've heard of onsite test before. However, its not common practice.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    I did, but I didn't do any artwork......I was just asked to climb onto a table and perform a sensual dance for the art director and their cohorts...and I'm now working at the company!

As breakneck mentioned it doesn't seem to be common practice, on most occasions I've found its Art Test from home (...if successful) > Interview (...if successful) > Job. Just take it as an opportunity to show your people skills as well as your sick art skills....having seen your work before that seems a bit of an understatement - you'll do great. :thumbup:
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    It seems a little bit silly; Lets see how well you work without your normal programs and hotkeys, in an alien enviroment with a lot of pressure!
  • MeshModeler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hahah well i asked them if i could bring my maya preferences and hotkeys they said it was ok :cool:

im assuming a second art test is to absolutely make sure im a good fit.

im usually accustomed to only taking one test for a company
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    I've heard of it happening before, seems like a rare thing though. Just go in and model like you usually would. Say hello to the team and make sure you smile and have a good time while you're there.

Good luck !
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    I had to do one when I applied to Team Bondi back in the day, although that was instead of a regular art test, not as well. Crashed and burned due to having to fly in at 5am, getting hopelessly unclear brief and being stuck with the most excruciatingly uncomfortable chair I've ever used.

Still, dodged a bullet there.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    yeah i did one for blitz games back in 2002 , it was ok really had a day to model and texture stitch
    from lilo and stitch. good experience really, although working there was not so good:/
    this was the test

3258836269_d77c522a15_z.jpg?zz=1
  • Irreal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irreal polycounter lvl 10
    I've had 2 onsite tests in my time. One was for the first company I worked for (Minds-eye, sadly gone now) and the second, coincidentally was for blitz in leamington spa. I have vivid memories of the second test. I remember that my chair didn't work as it's only natural position was horizontal, I had to draw with a mouse, there was a crack for 3ds max on the desktop and no internet connection. I kept thinking, is this part of the test? Maybe it was, maybe it wasn't.

Onsite tests probably aren't the norm these days seeing as how long it takes to make even a single asset.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sounds like they might be a good indicator of a studio you might want to avoid.
  • The Mad Artist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Mad Artist polycounter lvl 13
    I had an on site art test once, not game art, but for particle work at a medical animation company. It was a complicated dna strand thing, I didn't have time to finish, but got a good amount done and jotted down how I would have finished it. They told me, "That's ok you didn't finish, we actually had been trying to figure out how to tackle that ourselves and wanted to see how you'd do it."

Only place I've ever been asked to take an in house art test, so take that for what it's worth.
  • tottot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tottot polycounter lvl 10
    Jackablade wrote: »
    Sounds like they might be a good indicator of a studio you might want to avoid.

Seriously, as if the art test/interview process isnt long enough, a SECOND art test?! Ive never heard of this before.
  • Bibendum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Musta nailed it so hard they thought you were cheating, makin you retake the exam with the teacher watching.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    Ruz wrote: »
    yeah i did one for blitz games back in 2002 , it was ok really had a day to model and texture stitch
    from lilo and stitch. good experience really, although working there was not so good:/

was that the 2 day one? I did that when they were still called Interactive, it's quite a good idea. You do a full day, then they take you out and get you massively drunk, and then you do another full day with a stinking hangover to see how you cope. Oh, and they make you do an impression too, i killed it with my "chicken in a wind tunnel".

In fact i would have done very well if at the end of the 2nd day they didn't call the whole team into a meeting to tell them the game had just been canned ...
  • Asyme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeahhhhh.... I guess some companies would do this but seems kinda redundant and I'd be a bit suspicious of why they wanted me to do something like that. There are a few UK companies that have harsh interview and job applications but I've always got the secret impression it's something someone, somewhere read in a book on management and decided 'would show we're really professional and serious'.

If someone sends in work and its good, all you really need is an interview to see what their personality is like then a trial period. If they've been bluffing or lying you'll spot it then.
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    I've seen it happen aswell, and no, it doesnt mean the studio is bad to work for. There can be alot of reasons for doing it, for example see how good the person is at taking feedback, you know, working on something for a day while recieveing feedback from art director etc, maybe because they reaaally want to hire you but they need to be extra sure because they are already meeting their budget but want to negotiate just to get you on the team, for example.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    I did one for BlueByte, and there was a very good reason for it. They wanted to see how I could handle their new, proprietary editor. There was really no way for me to have shown them otherwise. I was hopping from 3D asset production to level design, so a rather un-applicable folio as well.

I know some people might not do well with the pressure, but for me I welcomed the opportunity to show them what I could do. If it had been a traditional model/texture I might have thought it strange to come in to do it, but it gets the in-person interview done at the same time.
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Its also a good chance too get a better idea of what sorta guy you are to work with.

Interviews only show how good you are at being interviewed.
  • VelvetElvis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VelvetElvis polycounter lvl 12
    I've had two onsite art tests in my current career. One was for an architect, the test was a complete surprise during the interview and you had 30 minutes to create a bird house of your own design.

The second was for an animation company that, again, was a surprise and a complete mess. Even though the position was for environment art, I had to model a character. The worst part was the fact that the position was for Max, I had to model it in Maya since they didn't have a free license of max available that day (apparently I picked the day where every artist actually showed up). Needless to say after 30 minutes of fumbling around, they finally decided maybe it'd be a better idea to let me take it home and do it properly in Max.

In house tests aren't bad if you know they are coming and can at least take your UI setup so you have a familiar hotkey and menu setup. If you have to work off the stock UI then you might not look as much of a pro as you actually are.
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    its all about your breast size IMO.
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CandyStripes05 polycounter lvl 9
    for those of you who have taken an in-house test, did you also do a at home test prior to the in house one like the OP?
  • VelvetElvis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VelvetElvis polycounter lvl 12
    for those of you who have taken an in-house test, did you also do a at home test prior to the in house one like the OP?

Both times I didn't have a take home prior. It was at the first interview, which was on site.
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    At 38DDD cupsize your hired on sight, period.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I dare say there are quite a few devs who get into the industry via that route.
    DYvtY6KFXjg.png
  • MeshModeler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • MeshModeler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What has this thread turned into?! Lol

Anywhoo my original test that got me the interview was 5 hours. It was timed and sent to me at 1pm and they needed it back by 6pm.

It was quite challenging, so its pretty understandable theyd like to see me do another art test
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    3 art tests now? That's kinda extreme.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Jackablade wrote: »
    I dare say there are quite a few devs who get into the industry via that route.
    DYvtY6KFXjg.png

Added to inspiration folder!
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Uh honestly I'd be very hesitant to take such a thing. I'd ask them what their reasoning for this is, to see if it makes sense, but otherwise I'd just politely decline.
    I can sort of understand they'd ask for it if you're a junior with an insufficient portfolio, but you've got plenty of high quality stuff and some decent experience already.
  • Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley polycounter lvl 13
    When I went to the Blitz open say they mentioned the on-site thing. It seemed less about it being an art test and just seeing who you were as a person really. Which seems alright to me.