Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

A game about rats

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
mariomanzanares polycounter lvl 5
Hi everyone!

I'm opening this thread to show you some stuff from a game I'm making in Unity with some friends here in Madrid. We are rookies trying to learn and to be part of the video game community, so we think that opening a polycount threat is going to help us a lot!

I can't show you every part of the game or say too much about the story, because you know... but I'm going to be updating this thread and showing concept art, props and characters, so feel free to say what you think about our work. Indeed, this is a cry for help because we know here are so many great artist and game-art fans, that's why critics and comments are soooo appreciated!!

---

camararealtimeandmaps.jpg

This is one of the very first models you can see in the game. Now it's been rigging to look at you when you are close to it. I've modeled it in Maya, and I did the normal map using nDO2 (great tool, but this was my first time using it).

I think I should have put more polygons, because some parts are just planes and they not shade properly in marmoset (the "dome" covering the lens, for example).

What do you think about it?
Cheers and thank you!

Replies

• aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    I think you could add more polygons, especially the front shield, still cool though. I personally don't like all of the noise in the normal map. The specular map needs work too. Determine what materials you are using in RL and apply it!

Anyways its good, just needs some tweaks (imo) , keep it up!
  • lean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lean polycounter lvl 5
    First of all, it looks pretty great. I definetely wouldn't put more polygons there. I noticed the shading issue, It looks like you set the whole model to hard edge shading. You can use smooth shading at places like the dome or the lens itself, so they look more rounded without adding extra polys.
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    i'd get rid of the noise in the normal map. the dark areas read more like concrete than metal. some smoothing groups might help out too, it looks very blocky.
  • mariomanzanares
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mariomanzanares polycounter lvl 5
    Thanks for the fast replies. I just want to point that the noise in the normal map is in the compressed image "for the web" and it's not in the real version of the texture.
  • AkiRa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AkiRa polycounter lvl 6
    This looks really cool!
    Really nice idea and style! The only thing I would suggest is -as aajohnny already said- to add some more polys to the lens.
    Apart from that, its really cool, both model and texture wise!
    Keep it up! :)