Home Technical Talk

Mental Ray Lightning problems. 3D Max.

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Mr Significant polycounter lvl 11
So I have a problem (another) with rendering, and sorry for english: I use 3D Max and Mental Ray. If I have no lights on scene, render looks like that:

scenarosl_nppwhhx.jpg

But when I add Daylight system and render the scene, it's look like that:

scenarosl_nppwhwp.jpg

What I have to do, to get rid of that black planes, which isn't iluminated (or lighted, I don't know how to say that in eng.) I have checked 2-sided material in material editor.

The settings are pretty default. If you need any screens of them, please tell. If you know what I have to do, just say, I'll quickly gogle that.

Hope someone will know what to do.

Thanks.

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not a mr guy, but it looks like it is not respecting the opacity map. It may need a mr material?
  • Mr Significant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have standard material and to this material I have several maps added. So you suggested to use some of mr materials like arch and design?
  • bcottage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bcottage polycounter lvl 13
    What does the render look like? 3ds max has problems displaying alpha in the viewport
  • Axi5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axi5 interpolator
    GrafikPL wrote: »
    I have standard material and to this material I have several maps added. So you suggested to use some of mr materials like arch and design?

The standard material is used with max's default scanline renderer, you can use this and there is a "mr connection" tab at the very bottom of the material (at least in 2011). I haven't used alpha/opacity maps with the standard while using mental ray, when I use mental ray it's usually for the power of mental ray's materials so this is as far as I can go unless you change the type of shader you are using. Then again that wouldn't be a resolution that would be a work around, but it would be worth looking up mental ray connection with the standard material perhaps and I would love to hear how it goes (:
  • MrFrags
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrFrags polycounter lvl 13
    It could be a simple problem caused by your material. You have to use ALWAYS mental ray materials when you render with mental ray renderer. The standard MIA material works very well for this task. You just have to create a MIA material, plug your diffuse map in the diffuse color slot, and instead of plug in your opacity map into the transparency slot, go for cutout opacity slot. Don't forget to set reflectivity parameter to zero (MIA is reflective by default) and if you want to preserve your original color, you should gamma correct your default map.
    Here a basic MIA leave material I created long time ago, hope it will help !
    http://jenesuispasunmechantchat.tumblr.com/image/42852925359
  • Mr Significant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr frags what is this MIA Material? Is it shortcut of some name material? I can't find it in material browser. And where I can find a SSS hybrid material?
  • MrFrags
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrFrags polycounter lvl 13
    Well, I'm using Maya, but in 3ds Max, a MIA material (Mental Images Architectural) is equivalent to the "Arch&Design" material. You don't need any SSS material, my pic show you what the difference between transparency and cutout opacity map, to avoid any mistakes.
  • Mr Significant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yess!!!! Mr Frags it's works!

It's look like that:

scenarosl_nppqqha.jpg

I searched web for double sided option, 'cause when I rendered my small, test scene, I can't see back of plane's. I just uncheck the "BackFace Culling" in "Advanced Rendering option" in Arch&Design Material.

And yes, i found information about MIA material in web, sorry guys for messing you for that. And I get rid of that half-transparent part on plane, because I use Transparency slot, instead of opacity slot. Thanks again MrFrags!!

But it's one problem left: when I use "Show standard map in Viewport"it's look like this:

1JPG_nppqqnx.JPG

I don't have wireframe set in viewport: now it's smooth and highlights, so it's default.

So again gentelmens ( :) ), thanks!
  • Mossbros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mossbros polycounter lvl 9
    Yess!!!! Mr Frags it's works!

It's look like that:

scenarosl_nppqqha.jpg

I searched web for double sided option, 'cause when I rendered my small, test scene, I can't see back of plane's. I just uncheck the "BackFace Culling" in "Advanced Rendering option" in Arch&Design Material.

And yes, i found information about MIA material in web, sorry guys for messing you for that. And I get rid of that half-transparent part on plane, because I use Transparency slot, instead of opacity slot. Thanks again MrFrags!!

But it's one problem left: when I use "Show standard map in Viewport"it's look like this:

1JPG_nppqqnx.JPG

I don't have wireframe set in viewport: now it's smooth and highlights, so it's default.

So again gentelmens ( :) ), thanks!

Wtf man, just completely ignored Axi5?
    Axi5 wrote: »
    The standard material is used with max's default scanline renderer, you can use this and there is a "mr connection" tab at the very bottom of the material (at least in 2011). I haven't used alpha/opacity maps with the standard while using mental ray, when I use mental ray it's usually for the power of mental ray's materials so this is as far as I can go unless you change the type of shader you are using. Then again that wouldn't be a resolution that would be a work around, but it would be worth looking up mental ray connection with the standard material perhaps and I would love to hear how it goes (:
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Did you read this topic in the Help? Might give you some tricks to solve it.
    http://docs.autodesk.com/3DSMAX/15/ENU/3ds-Max-Help/index.html?url=files/GUID-39E321E5-962B-49C2-BD05-B1FA3F48BA26.htm,topicNumber=d30e354555
  • Mr Significant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Guys it's works: I just run 3D Max on the next day, and I have normal look of the planes. Ofcourse without transparency. But nevermind :) thanks.