Home General Discussion

the Art in 3d Art?

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
CyberGameArts polycounter lvl 7
Hello everybody,
so my buddy and I had this heated argument about art in 3d art. (I know this sounds really stupid already, bear with me :P) He believes that making hard surface models, in particular guns(realistic ones, no sci-fi or premade concepts, just what's in real life), is not art. He believes that it's just copying a blueprint and just moving vertices around. I disagree heavily with that. Although making stuff like that is merely a copying job at first I believe that there is certainly an artistic and creative component that comes in at some point along the process because every artists has a different interpretation of the object that he is supposed to make. If you give 10 different artists(with about the same skill level and experience) the same references of a M16 rifle I can guarantee you that each will look differently at the end and with that I mean that some made the barrel shorter added more holes, maybe added a part from a different m16 version and so on.

He then made the statement that you couldn’t do that if a client asks you to make a realistic Ak47 and that it would merely be a stale "copy" job; I quote: " you have to follow reference pictures you can't just use your imagination and creativity". He believes that its 95-100% skill based and that there is absolutely no real Art component involved. Even there I disagree because the client came to you for your artistic ability, and not your ability to just copy something; they could have just downloaded a premade model off the internet.

One of the biggest statements he made was that games like Battlefield 3 are not art compared to Borderlands (or something with an "imaginary" artstyle) since they are just copying real life, arguing that there is nothing creative of the process of making it. Of course I almost went ballistic when I heard that. I could go on and on about the debate we had but we were essentially going in circles, so I decided to settle this once and for all and ask for outside opinions.
So I ask you: "Do you think its art or not- a creative process and not just a copy job?"

Thanks a lot in advance!!! :D

Replies

• fatihG_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fatihG_ polycounter lvl 14
    I myself believe there are essentially 2 kinds of "art".

One to express yourself, your creativity. Or "artistic art" I guess.
    And the other.. more like.. "the Art of recreation". Or what I like to call "practical art", stuff that has uses for something.

Obviously there can be in betweens and most are.
    But when it comes to aiming for realism, allot of the artistic and creative elements of art are on the backburner, and it is more about producing something practical.
    Sure some might view guns as art and what not, but I myself am not interested in them and don't really get them anyway. So to me all weapon models look pretty much the same if they are done properly. Stuff like.. hey my guns has 2 extra holes in the muzzle or what not.. I don't even notice stuff like that.

Anyway yeah.. to me art is expressing yourself. And I cant do that by making guns.
    If for you expressing yourself is making guns, than that is art for you.

So basically what I am trying to say is that art is subjective. Everyone sees it differently.

Soooo...
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWdd6_ZxX8c"]Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - YouTube[/ame]
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Selaznog polycounter lvl 8
    A bit of a grey area, but I think if you were to put an extremely good traditional artist and some random dude with no artistic skills in the same room, both with equal training in a modeling program, the artist would come out better as they've trained their eyes to break down shapes properly. Not 100% on that, but I think it would make for a very cool experiment and sort of solve a lot of these kinds of debates.
  • Bibendum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Art is subjective. People define it how they want.

Also, paragraphs man.

edit: oops bbox beat me to it
  • Kot_Leopold
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kot_Leopold polycounter lvl 10
    No [human] artist mindlessly replicates anything - printers do. You are always making artistic decisions as you're working whether you realize it or not: thinking about composition, changing things here and there, picking a color palette, etc. aka your brain is working. But if what I say here is total falsehood, then all the landscape and portrait artists aren't artists at all because they simply "copy" their subjects at hand.
  • Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    There are many kinds of art, like sculpting a face is just copying from real life, yet it takes much more knowledge and skill to sculpt a human head, than to sculpt some random alien head. Same with Hardsurface, I could make hardsurface guns till my fingers bleed and I doubt stand up next to one made by Racer445 or lonewolf. Even if it's the same gun, and the same style of texturing.

I think you and your friend are arguing over micro and macro artistic design. Even if the macro design is blueprinted, if you just leave it at that and don't add in little touches, it will look like every other realistic gun ever, the true sign of amateur work. Check out the based-on-real guns by Lonewolf and JFletcher Both are M4s (granted different stocks and bodies) yet they were tackled in different ways, and accomplished with a ton of artistic input.

Edit: Dayum, 4 people beat me to it. I type slow. :D
  • Jeremy Tabor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Tabor polycounter lvl 13
    Eh, these Art vs. Not Art debates can never resolved (hence, I don't know why I am contributing to what will surely become a long drawn-out argument, but against my better judgement...) because "Art" is so subjective, man... There is no concrete definition. If you feel it is such, then no one can take that away from you, and you can't convince someone else of it otherwise.

I am of the opinion that Art is not a form of something, but rather Art is imbued in something- to be found within it. For example, I do not believe the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel is in and of itself "Art"- it's just a ceiling with layers of paint on it. The context of its' creation, however, is what enables me to find the art within it.

It's all contextual. I believe a garbage man can artfully sling trash into a truck, but does that make the act of throwing garbage into a truck innately artistic? No.

Now, on a related note, I personally shy away from the term "artist." I don't call what I do "art." Now granted, I do refer to myself as a 'Character Artist' on my site, but that is just because of common convention, and is still something I am rather uncomfortable declaring. That is not to say that I don't strive to be artful in everything which I do, but don't consider everything that I've done to be art just because I've shat it out of my head. I'm sure that concept will get plenty of people up in arms, but it is how I interpret the enigmatic term, "art."
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    There's artisanship and art, and within art you have fine art and commercial art; i.e. art that's created with the intention of making a sale. Most games are commercial. Only few game devs can make games not caring for their games financial success and just let the dev cycle follow a grand artistic vision that doesn't care about consumers demands.

Its really a fine line if you feel you're more of an artisan or an artist. But in general if you're in the games industry you usually follow rather tight specs (maybe except in concept) and have rather limited creative freedom, as opposed to an artist who run his own studio and sets his own direction. If you make stuff like props there no statement or no message that this artwork conveys. Neither are those pieces complete artworks. They are out of context because they are part of something bigger. When we model a character we care about the character, but the final presentation of the piece isn't in our hands - it depends on whoever pieces it all together into a game.

In essence many of us are just making elements for a grander picture that may not be under our control but the art director's (or even game director's or even publisher's). In a way many of us are more like artisans, or the guys working under Leonardo or Michelangelo, who paint all the foldes of the clothing, the background, etc, while a few talented people do the heroes and hero assets and who decide what the piece is all about. I doubt Leonardo consulted with his underlings in democratic fashion what his next piece should be about...it's kinda like in games ;)
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    Good artists copy, great artists steal.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    Two Listen wrote: »
    Good artists copy, great artists steal.

and then somebody posts on polycount how someone ripped off their artwork ;)
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    It's normally average artwork that gets ripped off.
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrHobo polycounter lvl 13
    An easy way to shut your friend down is to point out that technically this:

250pxmonalisabyleonardo.jpg

and this:

handpaintoilpaintingonc.jpg

Are copies not made from imagination but from reference that the artist had in his studio.

The idea that trying to recreate reality closely is not art, is kind of a slap in the face to most of the artists throughout history. This idea of creativity through imagination, is actually a relatively recent (Modern) school of thought.
    Unless I completely misread the argument. In which case ignore this :)
  • The_Blenderer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Everything a human creates has inside it a trace of that human's interpretation, his soul even if you will and so it moves others and so it is art

That is why [ame="www.youtube.com/watch?v=26YLehuMydo"]these type of artistic statements can be made[/ame]

This is true even of Designs made by those who do not consider themselves artists who used a seemingly technical process to arrive at their design but in the process they inevitably made choices based on their own interpretation.

For example : you can look at a picture of a V8 engine and think that it is a pretty boring piece of machinery
    Or
    You can feel its cold metal, its tubes that lead to seemingly infinite complexity and the menacing glare of its band wrapped wheels :P

if you still don't believe me just ask how many people get inspired by visiting history museums

@OP: I will add that while there is no question that some things are more creative than others, the amount of creativity or innovation is not what defines art. ultimately art is in the eye of the beholder: you can see it in everything or you can be blind to it and see it in nothing.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    there is a school of thought that goes along those lines, that great craftsmanship - like a hand crafted swiss precision watch - is art just by the value of it's execution, which in itself is an art. In that regard you could probably see stuff like weapon assets as true art, rather than just a faithful reproduction.
  • The_Blenderer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im not even talking about reproduction, because as someone already pointed out, the reproduction factor doesn't change the initial product: so a hand crafted precision watch is a work of art and even if you replicated , it is a replica of a work of art and hence a work of art..
    Regradless though I think you can agree that if you model an M16 and the OP models an
    M16 there will inevitably be a degree of variance between your individual interpretation, if its the edge flow, the polycount, the specular maps or the scratches texture overlay hence it is no longer a duplicate even if it is extremely derivative and not very creative it is still art..

If it still too confusing look at works of Andy Warhol which practically industrialize art,even if they mock it, are his works not art?

Also you should be mindful of the difference between Artisans and Artists, both produce art in the end because like I said, art is in the eye of the beholder, but one places value solely on execution and the other places value on the feeling it creates.
  • Tairii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tairii polycounter lvl 9
    No [human] artist mindlessly replicates anything - printers do. You are always making artistic decisions as you're working whether you realize it or not: thinking about composition, changing things here and there, picking a color palette, etc. aka your brain is working. But if what I say here is total falsehood, then all the landscape and portrait artists aren't artists at all because they simply "copy" their subjects at hand.

I know fine artist who wouldn't consider landscape and portrait work art, but rather illustrations.

From what I gathered from them, art must start or continue a dialogue. If it doesn't do either of those things, it is just an illustration (this is of course 2D work).

If you think about it, making something realistic or from a blueprint is really just copying what you see. You're not trying to entice the viewer to ask questions or give them information through your piece. You're just putting things in the right place to make a person go, oh this is a gun. It's kind of like that saying, anyone can paint or draw, but not everyone can make art.

Feng Zhu made a similar comment, stating, "For the first two years of art school, both individuals do fine, because learning to draw/paint isn't hard." (not a verbatim statement unfortunately).

This is the main reason why artist positions are competitive. Anyone can learn how to model something, but only certain individuals go further and understand how to be artistic with their creations (and as someone state earlier, not even they get very far with what they can be creative with).
  • Kurt Russell Fan Club
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kurt Russell Fan Club polycounter lvl 9
    Look at the great works of Michelangelo.

All commissions for the church.

They wanted him and he had plenty of control but the content was dictated by the client. David's for a series they wanted to do of biblical heroes.

The works are remembered as fucking rad because he was an amazing artist. Not because he had the luxury to do them on the weekend.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Look at the great works of Michelangelo.

All commissions for the church.

They wanted him and he had plenty of control but the content was dictated by the client. David's for a series they wanted to do of biblical heroes.

The works are remembered as fucking rad because he was an amazing artist. Not because he had the luxury to do them on the weekend.

Exactly and from what I remember, he worked on some sick M16 riflles!

EDIT: On a serious note, you've come to a forum where people work on Game art and asked that question - its similar to going onto the Unity forums and asking what they think is better out of Unity or UDK, or visa versa on the UDK forums.

I had a tutor who had a similar attitude in uni, he was one of these guys that believed artists shouldn't want to make money from their work but essentially should spend their lives working inside some loft or basement and living on pot noodle. Anyway, to answer your question I think your friend is wrong - weapon artists need to be just as analytical and creative as any other, observation being paramount! As others have said its all open to interpretation.
  • almagwhitton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think 3D guns can really be a good work. Just imagine feeling that it's for real. :)