Dark/moody Music for trailer

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
JoshVanZuylen polycounter lvl 4
Good morning/afternoon ladies and gentlemen of PolyCount!

I'm looking for a song that I can use for a trailer I wil be creating soon.

I'm looking for something like Fever Ray's 'if I had a heart', but this is currently being used by the history channels 'Vikings' shows intro (which I highly recommend watching).

So I'm looking for something with a very similar style/feel.
If anyone knows any artists or knows a place or something to look it would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

Replies

• MrHobo
    Offline / Send Message
    MrHobo polycounter lvl 6
    Im assuming youre looking for a track period and not necessarily looking to licence something, having said that these might fit what youre looking for. I can throw up more suggestions if these dont work:

Come Wander with Me, Jeff Alexander:
    [ame=" Alexander - Come Wander With Me (Late Night Tales - Air) - YouTube[/ame]

Twice, Little Dragon:
    [ame=" Dragon - Twice - YouTube[/ame]

Blood Boy, Cage:
    [ame=" - Blood Boy "Uncensored" - YouTube[/ame]

Death is the Road to Awe, Clint Mansell
    [ame=" Mansell - Death is the Road to Awe - YouTube[/ame]

Boadicea, Enya
    [ame=" ~ Boadicea - YouTube[/ame]

Insect Eyes, Devendra Banhart
    [ame=" Banhart - Insect Eyes - YouTube[/ame]
  • Steve Schulze
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 12
    Do you want something with lyrics specifically? There's a Glaswegian electronic musician I know who calls himself Dissolved who does a lot of dark atmospheric ambient music. He's enormously prolific, so it'd take quite a while to dig through all his tracks and find something that'd suit you exactly. It'd probably be quicker to simply ask him. He's a decent chap and would likely be happy to help you out.
    http://dissolvedamberrooms.com/

As an example, Faint Chamber 7 has a pretty similar tone to that Fever Ray track
    http://dissolved.bandcamp.com/album/faint-chamber
  • oXYnary
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 12
    Somehow she (Fever Ray), gets on my Last FM radio once in awhile. Not a fan personally, but LastFM does have this feature that might help.
    http://www.last.fm/music/Fever+Ray/+similar

Which leads to "The Knife" which in fact are very similar but not as Dark as I think your wanting. That and probably pretty expensive to license.

[ame=" Knife - Colouring of Pigeons - Full HQ - YouTube[/ame]

Closer but again might be still not dark enough. iamamiwhoami

[ame=" - YouTube[/ame]

Though I did stumble across this band (which thus far I do like - go figure). Might be too beat oriented though? The good thing is they are probably on a smaller label and could be cheaper to license a song.

[ame=" Out of sight - YouTube[/ame]
  • Steve Schulze
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 12
    Which leads to "The Knife" which in fact are very similar
    Not surprising given that Fever Ray is one of the two members of The Knife.
  • oXYnary
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 12
    lol... like i said, not my thing. ;) Though I do like iamamiwhoami .
  • JoshVanZuylen
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshVanZuylen polycounter lvl 4
    Hey guys,

I'm not necessarily looking for something that sounds like Fever Ray, but rather the song 'if I had a heart.'
    I looked up and listened to everything which lead me to related videos and such and have found a few songs but nothing really that fits the bill the way I want it to, But perhaps that's me looking for perfection.

I think the key is deep bases with a tinge of acoustic to add an edge to it and a minimalist drum pattern, don't really mind if it has vocals. I'm also looking for something that an Indi budget can afford.

I will present my findings to my team tomorrow and see if I should keep looking. I haven't made a trailer before that uses a depressed dark lonely type style to it so it proving challenging.

Thanks guys you have helped a lot.
    I keep thinking when's find a song, 'oh that's close enough now ill just change this or get rid if that like you would a texture.' ..... I have spent way to much time texturing in the past weeks!
    Thanks again!