Home Technical Talk

maya UV height?

polycounter lvl 16
Offline / Send Message
Oniram polycounter lvl 16
so ive realized the unfortunate situation that maya does not have a W channel.. so how do i specify height or depth in my uvs? example. i have 2 overlapping objects.. how do tell maya which to render first when baking a normal map?

Replies

• BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    I believe you just offset the the shells by 1 unit. The easiest way to do this is with a script like UV Deluxe which is free on creative crash.
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    but in this case i DO want to render both sets of uvs. typically yeah id move anything mirrored out of the way, but here i actually want it to render 1 shape on top of the other
  • rube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rube polycounter lvl 17
    I think we need pictures, I can't see why you would want that or how it would be beneficial. That said I don't think you can specify any depth in UVs in maya.
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram wrote: »
    but in this case i DO want to render both sets of uvs. typically yeah id move anything mirrored out of the way, but here i actually want it to render 1 shape on top of the other

Oh I see, that makes sense. I don't know of anyway to do that in Maya, and digging around google did not yield promising results. Maybe a script guru could wip something up for you that could help you out.
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah i wasted about 2 hours searching on google and trying to figure it out. i did end up coming up with a solution. i had to detach the mesh that was "below" the stack, then attach the old mesh back to it. kinda sucks i had to do it that way.. typically id think thats something way more simple, but oh well.
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram wrote: »
    yeah i wasted about 2 hours searching on google and trying to figure it out. i did end up coming up with a solution. i had to detach the mesh that was "below" the stack, then attach the old mesh back to it. kinda sucks i had to do it that way.. typically id think thats something way more simple, but oh well.

Assuming you know way more than me because you work at sledgehammer, and I don't have a job, lol. Is compositing them in photoshop an option? Or is that to tedious?

I am just curious on what results you achieve by baking something in a specific order like that? Sorry for hijacking your own thread with questions :p