Home General Discussion

Stupid bid to buy Homeworld IP.

Replies

• ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    Ace-angel - unless they have substantially more than £65k in reality, then they're not bidding.

They're already out of the running for the auction. Wonder when they're going to tell the backers.
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    ambershee wrote: »
    Ace-angel - unless they have substantially more than £65k in reality, then they're not bidding.

They're already out of the running for the auction. Wonder when they're going to tell the backers.

We tried, now we must retire to our new holiday home in the bahamas.

All the best suc-backers
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    B-but, BUT THEY PROMISED!

Refunds if the project doesn't fly through, surely someone wouldn't lie to me, would they?! /s
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, they've probably been out of the bidding process for a week now, and their indiegogo and kickstarter pages are completely in the dark with people wondering where he's gone and why there are no updates :/
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Seems like a really shitty way to scam people out of money, its one persons reasonable wage for a year(barley after fees). But glad to hear they are out of the running.

But i am really curious to see who did win it, and for how much...
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know Beamdog didn't get it either. The auction process won't be final until April 15th, but my guess is that a publisher picked it up to add to their IP catalogue.
  • HitmonInfinity
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    IF they follow through on the refund, they might not be as bad as we all assumed. In fact, this might help with sales of their own game.
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    its expected to go for a few million and they wanted to try with 50k?
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    so if they refund everyone's money that means they lost about $3,612.25 in transaction fees. Nice one!
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gearbox were the highest bidder.
  • Goldo_O
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goldo_O greentooth
    That was unexpected. I'm really curious to see what's next for the franchise.
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    Gearbox were the highest bidder.

I am not filled with confidence and excitement. :poly141:
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    ARGH

and to think Stardock was also bidding on that! :(
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Not sure if this is a good thing. The previous two pre-established franchises (Duke Nukem, Aliens) that Gearbox made games for were... ehhhh... not good.
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Something just occurred to me... If Gearbox gets in a jam because of legal tangling with Sony (and possibly Timegate) over the money-sucking crapstorm of A:CM, it will be darkly ironic to see the Homeworld IP right back on the auction block in short order.

Unless they're really rolling in dough (which doesn't make much sense, or they logically would have thrown it at making A:CM not suck), given their recent problems, it's a strange time from a business perspective to be laying out that much liquid capital to acquire a decade-old IP that couldn't possibly start producing fresh income for at least a year.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It can start producing fresh income tomorrow if they release Homeworld / Homeworld 2 on Steam. Those games both still sell between 20-40,000 retail copies a year.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    GarageBay9 wrote: »
    I am not filled with confidence and excitement. :poly141:

Yeah, this one could be a bit of a mixed bag. On the one hand, I like the initial plans that Gearbox seem to have for the IP. Up-porting the current games in the series to run on modern systems is a good start. This will probably allow for the Homeworld games to at least be run on Windows 7. We will probably see them come to Steam, and possiblty Good Old Games. That's just fine, and will be good exposure for these classic titles.

On the other hand, Gearbox has not had very good experiences as a micro-publisher. They also have very little experience as a strategy game developer. Unless they are willing to license the series back to Relic, I don't see them developing any decent continuations of the IP in the future. After we see modern re-releases of the first two games in the series, it is likely that Homeworld will simply be placed on Gearbox's shelf for the indefinite future.
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It can start producing fresh income tomorrow if they release Homeworld / Homeworld 2 on Steam. Those games both still sell between 20-40,000 retail copies a year.

I haven't read the whole article; did Gearbox get full ownership of the entire IP, including distribution / sales / etc of all three previous games (1, Cataclysm, and 2), or does Activision-Blizzard still have that and Gearbox just owns the IP and anything they make from this point onwards?

I know Relic liberated the IP itself a few years back from what was previously Sierra, but I don't recall if they got distribution ownership and control of the already published titles, or if Sierra / Vivendi / Activision kept those.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    They have the series in it's entirety.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    more details on who bought what

$1.35 million for Homeworld, that seems like a pretty good deal.
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    hmm, yeah mixed feelings, i'll remain hopeful!
  • Bobby J Rice 3rd
    This is depressing. I LOVE homeworld.
    Why would an FPS maker buy rts? As a gamer, I didnt like duke or aliens. One can only hope GB either subs it out to relic, sells it off again or puts the borderlands team on it.

HW is a wonderful tactical cinematc game. I hope they rise to the occasion.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    if a new one gets made I really do hope relic, gets there hands on it to do the work.

got nothing against gb and loved borderlands, but I think we need the orgianl studio on this, and a publisher with some rts games under there belt.
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Waaaaait a second. Sega bought Relic. Which is known to be rather attached to the Homeworld IP, and is probably still sore that they went to all the trouble to break it out of jail from Vivendi and then had it torn out of their hands again by THQ's idiocy. Gearbox is probably on the phone in a daily shouting match with Sega right now over their recent boondoggle. I wonder if this really had anything at all to do with the IP itself, or if it was a strategic move by Gearbox to acquire a bargaining chip in their dispute with Sega.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 wrote: »
    I wonder if this really had anything at all to do with the IP itself, or if it was a strategic move by Gearbox to acquire a bargaining chip in their dispute with Sega.

Huh, I suppose that might be a possibility. While Colonial Marines didn't exactly flop, it didn't soar either, and sales dropped off quickly after the initial release. I suppose this might have been a chance for Gearbox to acquire an IP that Sega might like to get their hands on. (or at least that a studio that Sega owns would like to get their hands on)

Game industry, you so crazy!
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Then that would be a lousy move, everything read so far about ACM indicates less then a wholesome picture of them.

With all the information spilled out, if GB is indeed buying HW because Sega has Relic and Relic goes like butter and bread with HW, then it's a very cheap move indeed.

With that said, GB isn't only BTW problem, we also have Nordic games, which took a large size-able of games from THQ, with less then stellar background, at least GB has all of them Half-Life expansion packs that can be vouched that if they actually THEMSELVES work on it, if no middle men are involved.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Gearbox has absolutely no heritage in the RTS genre and that has me scared.

I see one of two things happening here. Either GBX is going to change the way Homeworld is played and water down for the masses (kinda like how Operation Flashpoint became the turd that is Dragon Rising), or they are going to split it off into another genre, probably an FPS in the same universe.

NO. Stop. Homeworld is a pivotal game in RTS history. It's also one of the most influential games in my own life of gaming. EA already ruined Syndicate, DO NOT fuck with Homeworld. Do it right or don't do it at all.
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DO NOT fuck with Homeworld. Do it right or don't do it at all.

I'm just gonna quote this again for posterity...

Homeworld is precious to gamer culture and pivotal to our history.

Worthy perfection, or not at all.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Yes, I think everyone is agreed on that point. In no universe should Gearbox work on a Homeworld game themselves. It's not their genre, either in terms of setting or gameplay. Homeworld is a 3D RTS space opera. It's sweeping and majestic, with a focus on 3D gameplay over plot or characterization. Gearbox has always focused on FPS titles, and squad-based experiences. It's not a good match.

An IP like Homeworld needs to be handled carefully. And Gearbox's attitude toward farming out work has not been inspiring. I would be just fine with them sitting on the IP for a few years, instead of trying to crank out a Homeworld 3.
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Homeworld is a 3D RTS space opera. It's sweeping and majestic, with a focus on 3D gameplay over plot or characterization.

100% with you on the rest of the post, and it's probably just my fanboiness talking, but gotta disagree with you here.

You can't honestly say that the plot of the original game was an afterthought. And yes, it only had a few named characters, but the voice acting - especially for Karan, Fleet Intelligence, and the Bentusi, and especially for Fleet Intelligence's part in the Return To Kharak mission - was outstanding and turned those faceless voices into characters.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXNQNeLDg5s"]Homeworld - Return to Kharak - YouTube[/ame]

Listen to Fleet Intelligence report that everything and everyone he's ever known and loved is burning to ash below him, and listen to the waver in his voice as he just barely keeps his composure. That, and the numb shock in Karan's voice. You can't tell me there isn't a ton of character there, dude. :poly124:
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My point was that the plot and characterization was never the FOCUS of the Homeworld series. They may have very well had characters and a plot. But the focus was squarely on the 3D RTS gameplay. Also, what characters and plot that the Homeworld games did have were considerably more serious and somber. (in keeping with a sweeping sci-fi epic) Gearbox is known for a much wackier tone to their titles.
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My point was that the plot and characterization was never the FOCUS of the Homeworld series. They may have very well had characters and a plot. But the focus was squarely on the 3D RTS gameplay. Also, what characters and plot that the Homeworld games did have were considerably more serious and somber. (in keeping with a sweeping sci-fi epic) Gearbox is known for a much wackier tone to their titles.

Yeah, I'll give you that.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator

All you have to do is look at Aliens: Colonial Marines to know that there's no need to worry :poly122: