Home General Discussion

Vikings

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
CandyStripes05 polycounter lvl 9
I'm going to try to get caught up on it this week, anyone on polycount watch this new show?

If you don't know what I'm talking about here is the imdb link
It's on Sundays and since I know a lot of people are getting turned off of The Walking Dead because... well... it sucks now. I figured this might spark some interest.

Replies

• DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    For some reason I knew this thread was coming.
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CandyStripes05 polycounter lvl 9
    Iv been asking around and have only heard good things, so why not.
  • JDinges
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JDinges polycounter lvl 18
    I've been enjoying it so far. Most of the characters are in pretty stereotypical roles but that seems to work out OK - I do really like the main character.

My only complaint is that stupid large white History logo they have plastered on the screen for the entire episode. The episodes are pretty dark lit shots so having a giant glowing logo in corner of the screen really draws your eye to it and breaks your concentration. What stupid fucking producer thought that was a good idea?
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Ima jump on it, been hearing good things. Plus there's nothing else decent on telly these days.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    I've been watching it, and I love it.

It's basically a History-channel documentary about vikings. Only instead of them straight-up making a dry documentary, they weaved the information that would normally be presented into a TV drama ala Game of Thrones.

I'm a big nerd of anything Viking, and it's really cool seeing how they subtly weaved all sorts of stuff into it. For instance, there's this famous writing of a man from that age that documented some hygiene practices. It seems gross by today's standards, but it was notable by the standards of a thousand years ago. They show them do exactly the stuff that was documented in the show. Only in a real subtle way without explaining it. There's a lot of that kind of stuff. The figures are more or less historical as well. At least the little that is known about them.

The scenery is all gorgeous. The show in general looks real good. There's some minor CG stuff when they describe mythological things. But that's usually kept within the scope of a dream or a vision, so it doesn't hurt the immersion.

Cool show overall.
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    Do their Viking helmets have horns?
    This is essential to know, being Scandinavian I want to know if I'll be offended or not watching this :P
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Skamberin wrote: »
    Do their Viking helmets have horns?
    This is essential to know, being Scandinavian I want to know if I'll be offended or not watching this :P

Yes but they have long woven, pink beards made of Candy floss :poly122:
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    :| well I'm still downloading episode 1. If a goddamn show about vikings on a channel called "History" still have fucking Viking helmets with horns I'll probably not give too much of a shit and just throw a tantrum to seem important.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    I prefer my Vikings to be horny.
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Watching ep 1 now, not too bad. The "some words in Norse then the rest in English" is a tired trope but the accuracy seems to be there, it'll probably grow on me.
  • Jarvgrimr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jarvgrimr polycounter lvl 10
    I'm a big history fan and in particular Vikings float my boat (hah!). I saw the first episode and I enjoyed it... there were a few historical hiccups/things that didn't agree with books and articles I've read here and there... BUT this is easily the most accurate Viking piece of media I've seen. So on that front, it wins for me! Just about to watch episode 2...

What episode are others up to? I hear it improves after episode 1, so that's exciting.
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    i must give it credit for including basically all viking actors in recent hollywood history.
    although the story seems rather dull right now.
    also i realy can´t stand this broken english accent they are using all the time.
    if they speak english, they might aswell speak it properly.
    those things in combination with the bad lighting might eventually break the show for me personaly.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Two episodes in.

The first 2 minutes were pretty badass, I figured it was going to be some really savage mockumentary. Was actually disappointed that it has a contemporary story ala Game of Thrones or whatever, I'm not sure if it's the contemporary writing or the archetypal characters that make this show feel less authentic to the time. Will keep watching though, the locations and costumes are amazing. I really like the lead, he's some kind of mix between Brad Pitt and Jaxx from Sons of Anarchy. Whoever directs this show is the king of close-ups, really sweet.

Whats up with MGM making this though? I read they nearly weren't able to finish Skyfall cause they had no money, now they have money for a T.V. show this expensive?