Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: anglorum

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
anglorum polycounter lvl 6
Hey there guys. These things are cool. I need to be a better 2D artist, so I'm resolving to do at least one value study a day for the next infinity. I plan to do only black and white studies for a while so that I can get a bit more confident with how straight up values work on different materials, then branch out into color.

Here's the one I did today.

mNMvqd3.jpg
[Razer Mouse Charger. Time: 35 minutes]

Hopefully time will permit that this is a regular thing!

Any comments or critiques are welcome as always!

Replies

• Alismuffin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alismuffin polycounter lvl 7
    great to see youre starting one of these :)

Dont give up on it! I know you can be an incredible artist if you stick to it!
  • anglorum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow! Thanks Alismuffin! Hopefully I can, just gotta persevere.

Today's was a bit challenging. I picked an item with a similar material (a shiny black plastic) but this time the straight edges proved difficult to master.

L6rlMvv.jpg
    [External Hard Drive. Time: 45 minutes]

I'm not sure what was giving me the trouble. I think I'm going to start spray painting objects matte grey so I have the base value to work off of. I feel like that will give me a bit more variation to work off of when training my ability to understand where darkest darks and lightest lights go. This material is challenging, but rewarding, and I'll definitely be coming back to it.
  • anglorum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Missed a couple days thanks to GDC crunch time.

Working on all this reflective stuff. Beginning to see all glass and metal surfaces as mere re projections of their environments around them. All they do is really borrow value from everything else.

This one was fun though!

eu0uFD9.jpg
    [Light Bulb. Time: 32 minutes]