Home Contests & Challenges Archives Team Fortress 2

Rigging Items TF2

GhostDetector
polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
GhostDetector polycounter lvl 10
How do I rig an object? And is there a way to rig an object so it starts flying backwards when walking or running? Or must the item be static.

Replies

• perrryz
    I think the closest thing for what your looking for is called "jigglebones", but I'm not sure.. You should wait for more opinions
  • Baddcog
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    You'll need to decompile the character rigs, then import one into 3d program.

Then use 'skin' modifier to skin the mesh to the required bone/s.

The items are 'static', no animations allowed.

Jiggle bones can do a lot, but they only work when the player is moving. And they only 'jiggle' at good framerates.

Also, they can only be controlled so much, making something face a certain direct or fly backward would be tough. It might spin around and face backwards for a second, but then spin around again.
  • EmAr
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    Here's something to try when you get to work with jiggle bones. You will be using a regular "has_base_spring" type of jiggle bone. These jiggle bones don't rotate your vertices but work like a spring that can extend. You will be using this type of a jiggle block in your .qc file(Taken from the Valve Developer Community):
    $jigglebone "Bouncy" {
         has_base_spring {      
         stiffness 100 
         damping 1 
         left_constraint -20 20
         up_constraint -20 20
         forward_constraint -20 20
         }
     }

The constraints are applied according to the original bone positions. So, the motion you described will probably need something like -20 and 0 as the forward constraints. Also, you'll probably need a high damping value.

If you are new to jiggle bones, I suggest you watch a video tutorial like this one:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JP9ce_ygeSA"]TF2 Jigglebones Tutorial Using Blender by SgtR007 - YouTube[/ame]

And read the documentation:

https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/$jigglebone

Good luck!