Home General Discussion

"3D Total Anatomical Collection" Kickstarter

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Baj Singh polycounter lvl 9
Seems great for those based in the UK as purchasing one of those models from anatomy tools (particularly the sting from delivery and import tax) is a nightmare. £60 investment (and they are looking to do female versions and different body types in the future).

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1794375019/3dtotals-anatomical-collection-male-figure

Replies

• WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I backed that. It seems a great price for something like that. And I really want them to make more!
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    disanski polycounter lvl 14
    Oh how cool. Thanks for sharing. Finally something a bit more affordable. I might back this up.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome, cheers for sharing.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Backing this, cheers Baj!
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
  • MrNinjutsu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrNinjutsu greentooth
    This looks fantastic, will back ASAP. A very good deal, thanks for sharing Baj.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Call me a snob, but all i see are are shit-load of anatomical inaccuracies in that.

I wouldn't recommend it if you're thinking of doing anything more than student/hobbyist level.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are they inaccuracies that would matter on a game character? Are you talking about ligaments at the wrong angle or entire muscles groups out of place?
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Both.

With wrong shapes, and angles, and insertions. And yes they do matter on game characters.

Off the bat, Deltoids, Pecs, Forearms are wrong, and the thing has wrong proportions. When you hold your hand out straight it should cover your junk.. those arms are tyoo long. Also if he Karate kicked, he would kick himself in the face which is fine if you're a midget.

If you start nitpicking the actual muscles:

Arm-Straight-Loomis.jpg

11. Flexor Carpi Radialis. Starts from the Medial Epicondyle (Inside part of the elbow) and is supposed to go to the meta-carpals (Middle of your wrist). Infact that entire part of the forearms are supposed to go there. He has it attaching to the OPPOSITE bone, which is why the forearm just looks fucked.

Triceps are wrong, striation directions are wrong, that Acromion Process is bulging OUT which only happens on anorexics (should be an indentation on someone that muscular).

I mean I could nitpick this thing all day, but IMHO someone with a deeper understanding should be making reference models.
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    JacqueChoi wrote: »
    I mean I could nitpick this thing all day, but IMHO someone with a deeper understanding should be making reference models.

agreed.

this is why i will never make any anatomy reference figures myself because even though i can see errors on this particular model i still know i am not seeing so many other errors.

i mean i can tell there are way too many errors on the model but lot of the issues i cant explain properly with exact muscle names etc. they just look wrong.

also the feet and hands on this model look very very off.

this should come with a disclaimer.

all that being said, this is a good initiative and i hope more experienced artists such as Gio Nakpil did stuff like this.
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    Sad face :( I was really looking forward to it but on closer inspection its not good. Probably worth the extra molar for the anatomy tools one.
  • Kot_Leopold
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kot_Leopold polycounter lvl 10
    The artist responsible for the reference model: http://www.federicoscarbini.com/wp/

His creature work is really amazing but I'll be honest and say that I'm not a fan of his human anatomy. The reference model looks like it was detailed but then he used the Smooth brush all over it so now it looks melted and feels unfinished to some degree. Out of all the amazing talent pool in the UK, couldn't they pick somebody with a better knowledge of anatomy?
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    I can see a lot of the faults, but I still think it might be fun to have for only 60£.

It also helps them out with launching the "line" they hope to produce, which could lead to better quality figures.

Edit: After some more thought and inspection of the sculpt I cancelled my pledge and am going to put the cash towards one of the Anatomy Tools models. The Male V2 are on sale right now for a pretty reasonable price and I've wanted one for years.

I'm still interested to see what they come up with in the future. I left a comment with my/our concerns about the anatomical accuracy when I cancelled the pledge.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Triceps are wrong, striation directions are wrong, that Acromion Process is bulging OUT which only happens on anorexics (should be an indentation on someone that muscular).

Wow Jacque you really seem to know your stuff, will you be doing any Haz-style group classes in the near future? :D Wouldn't mind having you mentor if you had the time :thumbup:
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I'd love to see a more accurate artist anatomically accurate artist do one of these.
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sad face I was really looking forward to it but on closer inspection its not good. Probably worth the extra molar for the anatomy tools one.

Yeah its just a shame we don't get anything more affordable for the UK. Its the delivery and potential import tax which always kills it for me.
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ive been doing a bit of back and forth with them about some of the issues behind the scenes and they were really really nice about it (was really scared I might offend them) and it looks like good news :)

http://forums.3dtotal.com/showthread.php?t=115640

14 days left, I look forward to seeing the outcome. I've ordered 2 haha for me and my sis in law who does crazy traditional sculpting.
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm, could be tempted. They have eclipsed their kickstarter goal so I assume it will be on their main store at some point so I may wait until then...
  • tom-3dt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, thanks for your feedback! (we have spies everywhere haha ;)) Hopefully this update will make good reading for you

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1794375019/3dtotals-anatomical-collection-male-figure/posts/445341

Many thanks, Tom Greenway
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    great to see you're open to feedback. looking forward to seeing the update
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fantastic news. Looking forward to seeing this :)
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    Damn, I really want to get this now, but have just run out of money.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Both.
    When you hold your hand out straight it should cover your junk.

Best anatomy advice I've ever read! :D No more counting heads for me! :poly136:
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking forward to seeing what Dan can bring to this :) funding ends Saturday I think so get those money's in!!!!
  • Pabs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pabs polycounter lvl 11
    some of you guys might want to wait
    scott eaton is also coming out with an 18 inch figure soon
  • nyx702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dang... kinda too late now.
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
    Also, if you guys are looking for good and affordable amazing anatomy material, Philippe Faraut's reference casts are splendid :

http://philippefaraut.com/store/art-reference-casts.html
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Phillipe faraut us amazing :).

Always wanted some of those casts... they are good enough that ive used just the photos of the casts as reference.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Don't forget that mesh -> cast via tools like those of ZB are still funky, I wouldn't be surprised if the reason this cast here looks the way it does because the artist decided to Dynamesh several muscle layers as one mesh, just so that the 3D printing would work properly (especially if they already don't have a proper understanding of the muscle system, let alone technical constraints).

I'm curious as to if that was the case, a model is going to have to go through alot of sacrifices just to be printed out, especially for an very iterative model like that of the human muscle system (again, see previous point).

On the other hand, I find it surprising that 3DTotal was asking for an extra £80 (GB pounds mind you) in some cases for sure delivery of the item, as far as I am aware, most places, the cost goes upto $40 extra as a median, even for less then stable countries.
    Glad to see Canada didn't get skimped out, but I just don't see how the extra cost for a place like say Italy or Brazil is going to work in your favor since there is no real guarantee of any kind in that case.

And yes, Philipe F. and Scott E. are the peeps for anatomical casts honestly, they're the peeps to go to for them peeping casts.
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well for uk peeps its only £60 flat which is really good. I am worried that we don't get to see the improvements to the model at the moment as before atleast you saw what you were buying but I have high hopes for it. £60 is not a massive loss though, and it might lead to further developments. 3dtotals production values are really good so I'm not to worried on quality, it's just that the anatomy is accurate enough and not in a funky pose.

I want the Scott eaton one aswell now though haha, I bet it's gonna cost a bomb though!!!!!
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    crazyfool wrote: »
    Well for uk peeps its only £60 flat which is really good. I am worried that we don't get to see the improvements to the model at the moment as before atleast you saw what you were buying but I have high hopes for it. £60 is not a massive loss though, and it might lead to further developments. 3dtotals production values are really good so I'm not to worried on quality, it's just that the anatomy is accurate enough and not in a funky pose.

I want the Scott eaton one aswell now though haha, I bet it's gonna cost a bomb though!!!!!
    You can never pay enough for a penis on a cast model.
  • nyx702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool wrote: »
    I bet it's gonna cost a bomb though!!!!!

Yea. That is why I jumped on this 3DToatal fig.