Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Monster Character Critique Please

rogermein1
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
rogermein1 polycounter lvl 6
Hi

I've been working on a new Monster character that I'd like to get some feedback on. I'm basically looking to see if anyone can spot deficiencies/mistakes in my model.

Here is the main still image:

AbYA7cA.jpg

Here are the various camera shots and wireframe images to show the breakdown:

ZzFsAZE.jpg

f8yAWwC.jpg

and the zbrush model:

fY1oWEb.jpg

and the texture maps:

eYiGlKQ.jpg

Software used included 3DS Max, ZBrush, Mudbox and Photoshop for final composites. The inspiration for this model was from one of the monster characters from Darksiders 2. The head I modeled after this concept art:

http://www.artbyherman.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/140_max3.jpg

Any critiques would be appreciated, especially things that I can improve. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Bonkahe
    Offline / Send Message
    Bonkahe polycounter lvl 7
    I think mainly you have an issue with polygon allocation, it seems you have to many on the forehead and face, while not enough on the hands, think of it like this, if it affects the silhouette add polygons, but if looking at it from an angle so that its on the edge, and it doesn't affect the silhouette, then leave it to the texture.

PS: Really does look good though, Might add some more a-symmetrical details though.
  • rogermein1
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Bonkahe

I know exactly what you mean. I actually replaced part of his original head mesh with the higher detail one in the image to see if the head looked warped from different angles, but I don't think that's an issue. But you're right, I should reserve the allocation to things that will affect the silhouette.

And yeah, I probably add more scars or something to differentiate the body like you said.

Thanks for the advice!

rogermein1
  • Gav
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Looks really cool - has a Joe Mad inspired vibe to it. The one thing that stands out to me is that it almost seems like everything is the same material. Like the spec information on skin vs. metal isn't different enough. Generally, everything looks dry / matte. I'd try playing with the contrast there, boosting everything up just a touch, maybe leaving the skulls a little more matte, some sweat info on the skin, hot highlights on the metal, maybe more gloss on the horns/ dark brown spots?
  • rogermein1
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Gav

Thanks for the info! Yeah, I think Joe Mad was part of Darksiders wasn't he? I definitely used that for inspiration.

I definitely think you're right about the 'sameness' of the material. I believe that is a problem with many of my models, something I'm trying to improve. I'm also wondering how to apply that sweat info that you mentioned. Maybe it would help to include a gloss map?

BTW, love your portfolio. Awesome stuff!

rogermein1
  • Gav
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Hey Man, Yep that could most likely help. Essentially, you'd have a map dictating the actual spec value of a material (with metal being brighter than skin,) then a map controlling gloss..which is noisier and breaks up the surface within a spec range. This looks like ti would be used in combination with a spec colour map (bottom left) ?

Alternatively, you could just use a traditional spec map - a greyscale texture with white representing full reflective and black being matte...and the colour it would reflect would be your spec colour value
  • rogermein1
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Gav

Sounds good, I think I'll try using the gloss map and see how it turns out. Thanks again for your help!

rogermein1
  • rogermein1
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi

Just a quick update. Took Gav's advice and experimented with skin material, changing the spec and upping the gloss to give the character a glistening sheen of sweat:

Kh6JTeN.jpg

Any comments on the change are welcome. Thanks.

rogermein1
  • BradMyers82
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Just a small critique I have is I don't like the background. It blends in with the characters colors and is distracting. Using just a plain background with gradient would look much better imo. Another thing you might want to consider to help the design of the character is to slightly change the color in various areas. If his head had slightly different hue, saturation and value from the rest for example, it would make the relevant parts stand out more. Currently his head blends in with his body and sorta gets lost. I would just tweak some stuff in the diffuse, I think it will help a lot. Good job man!
  • rogermein1
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Brad

Took the words out of my mouth =). There was something about that model that kept bothering me, and you hit it right on, there is too much 'uniformity' on the entire body and the head doesn't 'pop out' as it should. Will definitely take your advice and make changes to that.

Good point with the background as well, too much going on. Will need to try a plainer background and colors that don't blend as much.

Thanks for your help!

rogermein1