Home General Discussion

What defines the next generation?

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
chris89 polycounter lvl 10
So a bunch of friends and i were wondering.. What are the new big fancy techs/techniques that will define the next generation of games?

In the past we saw the rise of normal maps, SSS attempts, DoF, bloom, dynamic tonemapping, etc. but what are we expecting to see in the coming few years? Which new techniques are we expected to take on as 3d artists? Which new tech would we like to see?

The list so far:

Simulations (cloth, hair, water, etc.)
Tesselation
GPU particles
Realtime GI and better lighting solutions
Improved AI
Advanced Animation, more procedural animation
More advanced Post Processing?
Improved tools
More shader headroom and compute shaders
Physically based lighting
Social media integration on everything
Forward+ or different render technique
Physically based shader models
Advanced skin shading
More custom user content
Possible Cone tracing solutions for lighting, reflection and refraction
Cats
*3d scanning

what else can you guys think of? I'll keep the list updated.

Replies

• Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    you mean the next gen stuff that's the 360/PS3 or the next gen stuff that's next gen to the current next gen, like the PS4, or the next gen that is truly the next gen of all the next gen stuff that's been next gen before?
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tesselation and compute shaders are probably the biggies. Realtime GI, too.

Forward+ may eventually replace deferred rendering this generation, too. Especially as both of the big consoles use AMD cards (I think?).

Graphically, just look at what's being done on mid-high end PCs today and you're probably not far off.

Mostly I'd like to see better AI and non-graphics related things.
  • chris89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm wrote: »
    you mean the next gen stuff that's the 360/PS3 or the next gen stuff that's next gen to the current next gen, like the PS4, or the next gen that is truly the next gen of all the next gen stuff that's been next gen before?

That reminds me of a meme!
    But yes next gen ps4 coming 4 years or so next gen :)

Farfarer, i agree. Non-graphical improvements are probably what's needed more. Things like behavioral simulation that makes the world believable rather than the picture.
  • JamesWild
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesWild polycounter lvl 8
    I think we'll see a lot of newer technology applied, yeah, but I'm doubtful that graphics-wise the end-user isn't going to be able to tell the difference, because I certainly can't from what's been presented so far.

Interesting games allowing interesting interactions with an interesting world will shift titles in my direction. Or an unique "feel", like how Driver felt a million miles from Colin McRae which felt a million miles from Gran Turismo. The middleware, performance, experience and man-hours just weren't there so the developers couldn't use a fully comprehensive simulation, they had to choose what they wanted to include in their physics model and build it around that... made it feel a bit more defined as to what they were going for by contrast to EVERYTHING FEELS SOMEWHERE BETWEEN NEED FOR SPEED AND GRAN TURISMO we had this generation.

As above, I'd like to see the performance spent on things non-graphics. Moving gameplay code up into higher level languages should cut iteration time down dramatically making larger scope and better tuning easier than ever before.
  • osman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    osman polycounter lvl 18
    JamesWild wrote: »
    I think we'll see a lot of newer technology applied, yeah, but I'm doubtful that graphics-wise the end-user isn't going to be able to tell the difference, because I certainly can't from what's been presented so far.

Give it time, we're at the transistion still. Compare some ps3 launch titles to some of the recent games, huge difference.
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baj Singh polycounter lvl 9
    Turbosmooth :)

Although (seriously) I think its going to be an increased reliance in shader functionality, better lighting, tessellation, etc.

I can see the demand for technical artists increasing substantially next gen although the role of your regular artist might not change as much.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Unlimited detail.
  • Kurt Russell Fan Club
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kurt Russell Fan Club polycounter lvl 9
    Right now we're next-gen. I believe you mean post-next-gen.

The links appear to be chromatic aberration, shitty gpu particles, god rays fucking everywhere.

I think this will be the generation of the 'realistic stylised'. So stylised art direction for designs, but with realistic rendering. That Tangled look.
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Right now we're next-gen.

What do you mean, PS3/360 = next-gen?
  • Overlord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I certainly would like to see better AI. Graphics are good enough, let's see some AI that's more nuanced than NPC's that walk blindly through the environment and beat a path directly to their target without a bit of situational awareness. How many times has Lydia (Skyrim) or another follower walked into your shot or barged into your battle without the slightest regard for your weapon swinging away at the same target. Nothing better than being in the middle of a power attack and your partner steps into the blow because your target is the only remaining enemy left.
  • DerekLeBrun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DerekLeBrun polycounter lvl 11
    Anyone have any reliable information regarding typical polycounts and map resolutions for PS4/Xbox3?
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    "next-gen" has become synonymous with PS3/360, that term needs to be retired atp (fans seem to have started calling it "Gen 7" lately, with PS4/XBox720 being "Gen 8" / "upcoming gen" / "new gen").

Anyhow, the big one I think we're going to finally see is self collision. Up until now it wasn't feasible due to the low poly counts games had to adhere to, but thanks to tessellation thats all changed. If VR really takes off with the Rift then it'll happen even faster, as when you see characters own limbs clipping through the body or through enemies (which is completely normal in games currently) it really breaks a lot of the immersion.

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDvfFzFIruQ[/ame]

Cloth physics will also become much more common, same with hair and possibly water. AI will only improve as a response to VR if anything, its just not important enough otherwise compared to all the other areas that need improving.
  • JamesWild
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anyone have any reliable information regarding typical polycounts and map resolutions for PS4/Xbox3?

Well, going via a naive approach using VRAM alone:

PS3 = 256Mb
    PS4 = 8Gb, shared. Let's give this a 3:1 GPU-CPU split, so 6Gb.

6144Mb/256Mb = 24x bigger.

Bearing in mind that each double in texture size quadruples the memory overhead, that leaves you with an average of two doubles of texture size, leaving 1/3 of the increase unused. As we'll be using more maps, but discarding precomputed lighting's memory overhead and using larger models, I'd argue that to be a fair estimate.

But, I doubt increasing polycount or texture size will improve the end game much.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Better:
    - Lighting solutions
    - AI
    - Animation/blending
    - Particle systems
    - Post Processing

Artwork for games really can't get more advanced than it already is, unless we're dropping straight zsculpts, which would be stupid. We'll get a bit more wiggle room for more geometry and textures but really, our processes won't change. The tools will improve a hell of a lot though, which is the exciting thing.
  • S_ource
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    S_ource polycounter lvl 9
    Far into the future i would guess muscle simulation and material simulation like cloth.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    expensive & long development cycles, lots of layoffs
  • marks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    expensive & long development cycles, lots of layoffs

OP said next gen, not this gen ;)
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Physical based lighting
    Motion/Touch screen control methods
    Social media integration on everything
    Cameras/sensors under (or above) your TV
    4k rend....no wait next time

Bunch of improved crap (lighting, effects, blah, blah) too

What won't define next gen:

Faceplates on game systems

One thing that is lacking in the released and announced stuff so far is a lack of new IP. Usually at console launches companies are more willing to gamble on creating new IPs more so than at the end of a console's lifecycle. I know Microsoft has yet to announce and e3 is coming. But I hope there is more new IP and not next gen sequels coming. There are some great franchises created this gen and previous gens. But I really would love to see team x or company y do something new with all the new tech and not iterate on previous designs. That said I'm super excited about Infamous Second Son (which is a sequel) and a few others. But all in all I'd love to see some new IP.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marks wrote: »
    OP said next gen, not this gen ;)

same thing. worse probably.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Right now we're next-gen.

No, right now would be current-gen.

Seriously lads we're 8 months away from having PS4's and nextbox's under our tellys. Next-gen is those consoles; not the ones we have now. No need to confuse the issue. :thumbup:
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TURBOSMOOTH

Hey.....I already said that.:)
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Paradan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    isn't there supposed to be some kind of poem, and then all the new consoles take their name from the poem?
  • Zepic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zepic polycounter lvl 11
    Farfarer wrote: »

Forward+ may eventually replace deferred rendering this generation, too. Especially as both of the big consoles use AMD cards (I think?).

What's this Forward+ tech you mentioned? I've never heard of it. Why is it better?
  • JamesWild
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks like the ability to iterate through a list of lights rather than performing additive passes in normal forward (as iterating through non-fixed list lengths was slow or impossible on most older hardware) and allowing better control over the final pixel colour than deferred.

Performance might be better than deferred because deferred can be pretty heavy on memory bandwidth due to needing to write to many G-buffers at once rather than a final scene colour as this would allow.
  • Bibendum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2y7e3Zm1xc"]Leo DirectX forward plus rendering lighting - YouTube[/ame]

edit: here's the original video without commentary

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYweEn6DFcU"]AMD Leo Demo: AMD Radeon? HD 7900 Series Real-Time DX11 Graphics - YouTube[/ame]
  • Kevin Albers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Albers polycounter lvl 18
    For art production, I expect to see a lot more funky shader stuff. It will be more common to use multiple UV sets, overlayed textures, fancy shaders, vertex colors driving various effects etc. There is a fair amount of shader complexity going on in the current generation, but for the next-generation I expect artists to be able to get a lot more complex with how asset shaders are set up without worrying much about causing performance and/or memory issues.
  • JoshVanZuylen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshVanZuylen polycounter lvl 5
    Most under the hood improvements require engine enhancements and or better programmers with more time.

Basically if you want better results you need more skill and more time.

So if you wanna see some awesome non graphics stuff you need a studio that has a huge amount of programmers or just really good ones.
  • okkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okkun polycounter lvl 18
    i see lots of 30 fps games coming made by people who think it's a good idea to just crank the dial. Just like last time and the time before then..
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I personally believe the term next-gen should just be used on any tech that is better than the current generation of consoles, so current pc games can have next gen features, and the PS4 is next gen.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    This generation wont have the mega leap the last one had. Going from painted maps to the ability to having material definition was so massive, it defined the current generation and nothing even in the future will have such a leap. From now until games look exactly photo real it will just be improvements on things that already exists. Sure new smaller things will come along to improve things, but nothing as game changing as material definition.

Improved shaders in a physically based shader model, better lighting, more resolution and anti alisting will be what sets this generation apart from the last in terms of graphics.

More emphasis on micro transactions, social media inner connection and user created content is really going to be the main cornerstone of this generation if you are talking about things that are not graphical specifically.

Geometry Tessellation wont be used as people believe it will be. Pixel displacement shaders will instead be used and very sparingly. Terrain would be the only real thing to use tessellation or tessellating characters during cut scenes.

Everything wont be dynamically lit and lightmaps will still heavily be used.

Some games will sticking to 720p to have superb anti alisting over 1080p. The human eye cannot even detect the difference between 720p and 1080p from 5 feet away.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Remember one thing when looking at tech demos such as those linked and even the UE4 tech demo. Thats all they are, are demos. They show you what is possible when making a demo and not a game. Not only that but they are also using the latest and sometimes unreleased tech which FAR surpasses what the next gen consoles will ever be capable of.

The tech they show off cannot be extrapolated to a full game. They are not taking level size, number of characters, animations, sounds, scripted events, full level of textures and shaders, streaming of levels or anything related to an actual game into account beyond showcasing amazing art tech in the smallest of slivers to help sell whatever there product is.

Example. The UDK Samaritan demo was a "real time" demo that had to use 3 un-released nVida cards in tandem to run.

To get a real sense of what next gen games will be like dont look at tech demos. They give you a false impression. Instead look to the first slew of games coming out and the studios developing them to get a real sense of what is possible.

And right now that is the new Killzone game. That is the bar for high quality first generation next gen games. Guerrilla is one of the more talented developers in terms of graphical quality than the majority of studios. So expect most first gen games too look worse with your more tallented developers creating games around that quality level. And to extrapolate the jump in quality over the life time of the console look at the quality of Uncharted 1 to Uncharted 3.

From your top tier developers that is the kind of improvement you should expect over the console life cycle from a first generation next gen games to the end.

At least thats how I see things.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Autocon wrote: »
    Going from painted maps to the ability to having material definition was so massive, it defined the current generation and nothing even in the future will have such a leap. From now until games look exactly photo real it will just be improvements on things that already exists. Sure new smaller things will come along to improve things, but nothing as game changing as material definition.

Visually, sure. But as far as actual experiences:

VR
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJo12Hz_BVI"]Davis Daily: CES Oculus Rift Reactions - YouTube[/ame]

Galvanic Vestibular Stimulation
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlXYqfQHNuA"]Galvanic Vestibular Stimulation (GVS) - YouTube[/ame]

tactile sensation feedback
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MikXUrTHODc"]Seeing is Touching #DigInfo - YouTube[/ame]

Mixed reality
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTWVjJ4um4A"]Virtual Reality: From Headsets to Handhelds - YouTube[/ame]
  • Kurt Russell Fan Club
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas wrote: »
    No, right now would be current-gen.

Seriously lads we're 8 months away from having PS4's and nextbox's under our tellys. Next-gen is those consoles; not the ones we have now. No need to confuse the issue. :thumbup:

Nothing kills a joke like having to explain it :/
  • xvampire
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bloom
    Lens flares (realistic ones only)
    Cats
    Procedurally generated AI path-finding
    Realtime displacement animation
    Physically accurate ambiance occluding
    Lomography filters
    Heart shaped bokeh
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I'LL BE SO HAPPY WHEN I NO LONGER SEE SCREEN BASED AMBIENT OCCLUSION OVERLAYED ON TOP OF EVERYTHING WITH UGLY HALOS.

Sorry but screen based AO really bothers me.
  • Kurt Russell Fan Club
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Same here ZacD. It looks okay in screenshots and appalling in motion so unless they stop making screenshots and only release video it might be around for a bit.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    It works well in games that doesn't have decent lighting, like skyrim, but games with average or better lighting, it looks horrible. There shouldn't be AO in areas recieving direct lighting.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD wrote: »
    I'LL BE SO HAPPY WHEN I NO LONGER SEE SCREEN BASED AMBIENT OCCLUSION OVERLAYED ON TOP OF EVERYTHING WITH UGLY HALOS.

Sorry but screen based AO really bothers me.

Yeah, ok serious response time then:

Voxel cone radiosity, this shit is awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAsg_xNzhcQ

playable demo here: http://www.altdevblogaday.com/2013/01/31/implementing-voxel-cone-tracing/

Also, this is what UE4 and the latest Crytek stuff is using, afaik.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    A guy also added it to unity,

[ame="http://youtube.com/watch?v=H1wkX3zffbU"]Voxel Cone Traced Lighting in Unity - YouTube[/ame]
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
    Bibendum wrote: »

I love seeing videos like this and then researching everything they talk about so I understand better. I remember seeing something about how NVidia and AMD usually share their new techniques, so does this mean NVidia cards will eventually get this feature as well?
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    I would like to see better AI, maybe something you could add to games as modules, so you can update the AI, independent on the game.

Also dynamic environments/world, not only destructible but construction without having to following a blueprint. Imagine a DayZ game, where you use a sledgehammer and breaks a desk apart and use the smaller pieces for fireplace and the larger parts to hammer on the windows to block them, without the whole "Can only place them here and there" issue. Hell, might break a hole in a wall and the border it up the hole again.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD wrote: »

I believe that was our very own commander_keen :)
  • chris89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Love the cone tracing tech that people are looking into now. Having decent approximated refraction and GI i feel can add a lot.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    It's even better when it comes to handling transparent surfaces interacting with lighting. Sadly, I think we're still a generation away from seeing decent voxel lighting implementations (or an appropriate equivalent).
  • VeeJayZee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I hope I could see real-time solutions for dielectric-type shaders in engines.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
  • chris89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd play that game :) But yes very true.

Btw the Samaritan demo runs completely fine on a normal PC, even back then. The only reason it used 3 powerful cards was because they turned up the AA very high and the transparency AA killed it.