Home General Discussion

Any places to get a cheaper FULL version of Maya?

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
Sorry if this is the wrong place for this...

I am looking to get the full version of Maya 2011 or newer. I am currently a student so I know there are some offers where students can get cheaper full versions of software. I did some searching on the net and found that autodesk use to offer a students a discount to upgrade from the student version, but I don't think they do that anymore?

Can anybody offer any advice before I have to pay full price.

Edit, I need the full commercial version of Maya is what I meant.

Replies

• Fingus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fingus polycounter lvl 11
    Last I checked they give you a free fully featured version of their entire suite if you register with a .edu email. Did they stop doing that all of a sudden? I'm pretty sure I used it on 2012.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Autodesk offers free versions of all their software to students, but you cannot use them commercially. All you need is a .edu email. If you want to buy a commercial license, there's a discount for people upgrading from a student version. There's also a "Buy a 90-Day Project License" option for $200 if you need it for a project.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    http://students.autodesk.com/

create a account if you don't already got one, say your a student or unemployed professional.
    and click free software, you should be able to get access to every recent autodesk product so like max and maya 2011 and newer.

full versions of the software, the only restrictions are in the license, since it can not be used for commercial use or profit.

oh and the other difference is if you make save something in say the student maya and send it to someone who uses the commercial version of maya, it will warn them that it was made with the student version.
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry, I should of clarified better. I need the full commercial version, not the student version.

ZacD, do they offer the upgrade from the student to the full version still? I can't find it on their website anywhere, and the student website says nothing about it.
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry for bumping the thread, but does anybody know if the autodesk offer for students upgrading to the full commercial version is still around?
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    If you have a Techshop nearby I do believe they have licenses of Maya installed on their machines that members can use
  • XilenceX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XilenceX polycounter lvl 10
    BARDLER wrote: »
    Sorry for bumping the thread, but does anybody know if the autodesk offer for students upgrading to the full commercial version is still around?
    hmm I bought mine shortly before my retailer told me the offer is ending. I don't think a new offer ever appeared... at least for that german retailer. Having said that it "only" had a 70%ish discount so it was still quite a huge ammount to pay. The first game I released that I made with it didn't even cover the license costs. :(
    So that's something to keep in mind as well even if there is still such a commercial crossgrade offer arround somewhere.