Home Contests & Challenges Archives

ESCAPE - Skyfall - Team Chromatic Aberration

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
Autocon polycounter lvl 15
To make things more real and hopefully get a good kickstart for our team I have decided to make a thread here. Team name and project name are temp for now and anything below is subject to change :)

The Team:

Anthony Vaccaro (Autocon) - Environment Artist
Donovan Young (Donovanyoug) - Character Artist
Greg Amato (Amatobahn) - Environment Artist
Tanner Kalstorm (Seaseme) - Environment Artist
William Kladis (imbueFX) - FX Artist

The Idea:

Our idea is to have a large sprawling future metropolis city being destroyed by a meteor strike while our hero, as well as everyone else in the city, tries to escape in spaceships/escape pods before the on coming onslaught of doom.

I quickly wipped up this concept during our last google hangout meeting to try and get the idea across as a picture is worth a thousand words. As you can see, I'm pretty much a concept art savant ha.

anthonyssupershityconce.jpg

As you can see we are shooting for a rather large environment within UDK, one that, while on our own would be daunting in the time frame, an accomplish-able goal with a hopefully awesome end piece as a team.

There are 5 elements to this scene that will be broken up between the artists to help us accomplish this scene. All pose unique challenges as well as the collaborative challenge of keeping a sense of cohesion throughout the entire scene in terms of style and design. As well as getting 5 artists to assemble there scenes together!

The Elements:

To break up the work load the scene will be split into 5 different sections giving each artist there own sense of challanges.

Our Hero (Donovan) - The creation of a full blown super badass character that shall be escaping this hell on earth will be quite the challange. With no dedicated concept artist a character will have to be designed and created that can fit into our sci fi world.

The Space Ship (Greg) - A fully detailed out space ship is needed for our hero to flee the city. A worthy game ready space ship with all aspects of game creation in mind, such as doors that open and close for animation (we dont need it to animate) movable landing gear, highly detailed interior as well as exterior.

The Destroyed Building Platform (Tanner) - Our Hero and his Ship have to be standing on something, and what better than a building overlooking the destruction of the city while suffering major damage its self. A good contrast of the clean building top with the destruction of the building itself. All the inner workings of the building exposed such a damaged floor tiles, beam support, building ventilation, water and electrical piping, insulation, the lower floors roofing. And showing a loot more of the building in the foreground than there is shown in the concept, I just cropped shit.

The Meteors/Fire/Smoke (William) - The reason the city is being destroyed, the meteorites! This will be the largest FX part of our scene and will consist of close to the camera meteors and super far away ones. Also some possible fire on the foreground building and distant smoke in the city.

The Sprawling Metropolis (Anthony) - Developing a city that is within game limitations. Lower polygon models, smaller texture sizes, extreme reuse of assets and textures. Emphisis of building shilouets on some while not pulling attention from foreground elements. Getting a large city that doesn't look "tiling".

Everything subject to change, but this is where things stand now :) I would like to hopefully create a blockout and have it done by Sunday so we can all start crackin!

More to come.

Replies

• Impala88
    damn that city looks amazing, can't wait to see it finished. Close up meteors sounds pretty darn awesome too, looking forward to the flaming destruction!
  • wester
    Offline / Send Message
    wester polycounter lvl 13
    Yeah real nice team name....

Super excited for this one! Love me some sci fi escape pod goodness!
  • Seaseme
    Offline / Send Message
    Seaseme polycounter lvl 8
    Cannot wait to get going! We need to have a meeting soon.
  • Autocon
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Small update. I made a blockout of our scene, its quick and dirty to get the idea across. And with any smart environment, you start with a blockout!

As for the next step, for me at least, I will actually start to plan out the city, scale it back in a few areas, actually have thoughtful placement of buildings instead of the randomness there is now, giving the terrain elevation and starting to make buildings that are not just flat cubes.

deadpixlesavaccaroblock.jpg
  • duncan
    Offline / Send Message
    duncan polycounter lvl 11
    HAHAHA ACE!. This looks like real fun.
    Are you going for a "noon" time shot or more of a early morning\late afternoon\low sun directional, or even night time shot could be cool.

A dark city with really bright early morning (yellows) would look freaking sick.

Can't wait for more :thumbup:
  • wester
    Offline / Send Message
    wester polycounter lvl 13
    Sweeet blockout anthony.

Some thoughts. I would raise the cityscape as to break the horizon abit. I like how your concept looks like the building/towers are much taller than the blockout. Right now it looks like a pretty current day city.

Also I would add some medium distanced buildings that are about the same height as the one he's jumping from. You have his building, and then background buildings. right now it looks like he's on the highest building in the city, which might be by design but if it's not i would suggest a medium distanced building or two.