Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Red Velociraptor - The Quest for Game!

Valtyr
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Valtyr polycounter lvl 11
The Quest for Game!

Short intro, This raptor currently a few million poly sculpt in zbrush and I'm re-topping it in maya right now. It should end up as a 10,000~ tri game mesh with normals, diffuse, spec, and gloss transferred from the sculpt in zbrush.

Where I'm at currently:

So I need to give the poly paint a little more love, and maybe take some lizard reference to get some more believable color patterns. But the sculpt is more or less there. I'm sure there are things I can do to push it, but at the moment I don't know what they are.

Right now I'm trying to figure out how to get the poly paint and normal data from the Zsculpt to my low poly that I am currently doing. The problem is that the decimated sculpt loses it's poly paint and UVs and if I can't get the poly count to a level that other 3d aps can handle I can't get the information to my low poly.

So the current plan is to re-topping the raptor and project the sculpt detail in zbrush with the game mesh to get the normal, diffuse, and specular that way. Hopefully the Game mesh in all of it's triangular glory will be able to capture the detail without a bunch of distortions.

RaptorZB_01.jpgRaptorZB_02.jpgRaptorZB_03.jpg

Some of the other options I was considering was breaking up the sculpt into its poly groups and exporting it out at its higher poly count and baking the normals that way. But I don't think I would get a good result.

RaptorZB_04.jpg

Maybe use the base meshes Uvs and project them onto my my re-topped mesh and just doc grab the textures and do it that way? But I still wouldn't have the normals. I kinda uncertain on how to proceed, I think I just need a little guidance at this point.

RaptorZB_06.jpgRaptorZB_05.jpgOn the re-topping end. Re-topping is taking a lot longer than I thought it would. I'm doing the retop in maya since the zbrush tool was so prone to mishaps. It would be nice if there was a faster way to do this. I can redo the hot keys and make a marking menu in maya to better suit the re-topping, but I feel it is still slow.

So ya, any comments I can get on a good process that works for taking a sculpt to a game mesh would be lovely. Thank you!

RaptorRetop.jpg
Comments and questions are welcome below.