Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Steampunk'y Bridal Carriage [HP] - WIP

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Treboras polycounter lvl 12
Status Quo:
wip_08.jpg

I want to pimp up my portfolio with one high poly rendering before I do 2 low poly environments and I decided to do the following and want to show you guys where I am at:

The piece is a "Bridal Carriage" with steampunk elements. I stumbled upon concept artist James Ng (http://jamesngart.com) and fell in love with his interpretation (http://jamesngart.com/bridalcarriage.html). Feel free to check out his other work too!

After he gave me his "ok" I started modeling with some minor adjustments to the concept and some elements I added myself.

I plan on adding a lot of details with use of the normal map (nDo) like bolts, rivets and a lot metal plates. The carriage will be surrounded by some kind of patio environment.

Before I head further to texturing I would be glad if you let me know what you think. Feedback is highly appreciated!

Thanks a lot,
Treboras

wip_07a_polycount_rendering.png

wip_07b_polycount_rendering.png

Replies

• Ex4000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very cool, just be careful about the bender head part though, it distracts from the rest of it.
  • Treboras
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ex4000 wrote: »
    Very cool, just be careful about the bender head part though, it distracts from the rest of it.

Thanks for your comment! I will consider it :D maybe I have gone a little bit too far on that one :D
  • Treboras
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update time :D

I have redone the "bender head", added a lot of detail to the model overall, sculpted the curtains and did a phoenix to the dragon on the sign.

Please let me know what you guys think!

All the best,
    Treboras

wip_08.jpg
  • AkiRa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AkiRa polycounter lvl 6
    This looks really cool!
    I definately like the overall design. Great modelling but I especailly like the cloth. Looking forward to see this going further!
    Keep up the great work :)
  • Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    Love what you have done with the lanterns and draped cloth! I was wondering about your general workflow? Especially the lanterns. Was it zBrush or just straight modeling? What I am gathering right now on how I would approach it (in Maya) would be make the basic cage of the lantern, and then use soft select on geometry around the cage to give it that subtle cloth effect. For the cloth, I would think zBrush would be the easiest and then decimate for bake and HP rendering.

Awesome stuff so far, really digging the design. Pretty unique, and some awesome textures to back up the modeling would provide an awesome port piece!
  • Treboras
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ AkiRa: Thank you very much! The cloth in particular was very challenging :D

@ Add3r: Thanks! The lantern was done by hand. After 2-3 failed attempts at the beginning I went back analyzing the shape of those lanterns one more time to get it right. I began with a low res sphere, supported the main edges for the "metal frame" behind the paper so I get hard definitions there, added some edges in between and just pulled some verts to achieve the cloth /special paper effect. Screenshot is unsmoothed basemesh on the left and smoothed on the right. I would need more detail and maybe some sculpting for a close up shot, but it was never intended for such :D
    The lanterns in the back are modified versions from the basemesh of the front lanterns.
    And finally the bands at the end of the lanterns: I used a nCloth quickie for those with a turbulence field to get .. well ... some turbulence :D

(Please excuse the quick'n dirty screengrab but I'm in a bit of a hurry :D)
    ccbaxlvqc25b47vsc.jpg

The cloth was done differently each time. The small cloth pieces hanging on the entrance stairs are hand modeled, the hanging banners were done in Mudbox and then retopo and the curtains around the cabin were a little bit trickier:
    I started with sculpting but didn't get the result I wanted. I then tried some nCloth in Maya to get an idea how the cloth would fall. The result was so promising, that I took a good frame and just did some optimizing in Mudbox and by hand. At the end I deleted a lot edges for a smoother result and called it done.

I hope this can help you a little bit with your own projects and thanks again for your feedback! Textures are next and I can't wait to see it in color :D