ESCAPE-Escape From Above-specsowl and Nicky_5

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
specsowl polycounter lvl 6
LATEST PROGRESS
tS8iK6R.jpg
nSBbwMq.jpg

Yeah, we really need a team name...

Alright! So another contest is rolling around and it's a good one!
After much deliberation with my partner, we decided on a pretty interesting idea.

The idea is that there is a person who seems to be descending into a jungle-like area with an ancient looking temple in the near distance. Upon further examination, you notice that the character is simply floating in space and you see bubbles. The viewer's attention should now be drawn to the upper corner of the image to see what appears to be the surface of the water with an explosion and the wreckage of a ship floating downwards. So now this "jungle temple" is actually underwater and the foliage around it is interesting looking sea-life.

We got this idea from several different things, one being the game Journey. If you haven't played it, you should, but the point is that the entire game takes place primarily in the desert or in desert ruins. However, due to various elements in the game, there are few areas which make you feel like you are underwater. We felt that we could incorporate that feeling, but opposite where the main character IS underwater but it looks like it's on land.

Efp9eMv.jpg

We also decided on making the entire scene look like it was a model, similar to the Halo 3 ad campaign "Believe".

Replies

• specsowl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Character

Next we wanted to implement some interesting designs for the character, rather than a realistic one. Games like Disney Infinity were inspiration for this because the actual in-game models look like the toys themselves. However, we don't want so much of a toy look as we do a carved look.
    fXWJokr.jpg

But what should he look like? We haven't quite nailed down a look for him, but hopefully these serious looking actors (and video game character) can help!
    S55PLF9.jpg
  • specsowl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bad Guys

So here's a post for the bad guys. Basically we're going to obscure them in the shadows so the only thing you really see of them is their silhouette but it doesn't hurt to come up with some good designs!

U6TObTc.jpg

We wanted some sort of deep sea fish people that combine several different elements. I threw together some quick sketches today. They aren't much, but it's something to get us inspired!

uCykZbV.jpg

SO far I'm liking the bottom most one, but we want at least two in the scene.
  • HyperThermal
  • DLoud
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DLoud polycounter lvl 15
    Great idea guys! You don't see enough really cool underwater environments these days. I think the way you've explained the premise, it'll read well and tell a story.

I'm digging the shank/torchlight character ideas. Always loved that style.

One piece of feedback: two characters and a whole environment being made by two people seems like it might be a bit much for a contest like this. Ultimately it depends on how much free time you have though, just a thought.

Can't wait to see where this goes!
  • Nicky_5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nicky_5 polycounter lvl 5
    Sat down for a couple hours this morning to come up with some environment assets for the underwater temple. I started off very organic and sci-fi-ish. After noticing too many rounded lines and objects, I referred to a lot of architecture from the Aztecs and Mayans. Combining these architecture styles with a little bit of the Halo geometrical buildings, I was able to narrow down the style to something more fitting for the environment.

px8v4N0.jpg
    AJZdbmz.jpg
    P9yd4A0.jpg
  • specsowl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have a week of freedom, so what do I do with it? Work on the contest of course!
    I've been working on the main character's body to try and nail down that chiseled and cartoony look. I still have quite a bit of work to do but at least it's progress.
    dBHX8AX.jpg
    Other than that I have been working on a blockout and whatnot for the level. I don't have quiiiiite enough to show yet...but soon! Maybe tonight, idk.
  • specsowl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I started working on one of the sea creatures. I think his arms may need to be a bit larger and his silhouette improved. However, it's a good start.
    GOy9XOA.jpg
  • akacg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    akacg polycounter lvl 12
    Yes is it a good start. Dont forget you can define more shapes easier in lower levels
  • HyperThermal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool concepts, guys!
  • specsowl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    akacg wrote: »
    Yes is it a good start. Dont forget you can define more shapes easier in lower levels
    Thanks! I'm working on adding some underlying musculature and skeletal structure to define him and make him look less...flat.
  • Nicky_5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heres a quick layout idea. maybe we can incorporate more perspective. The red symbolizes the ship wreck. the gray is the temple and the green is foliage.
    8RMEhvs.jpg
  • specsowl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a little more progress on my fish monster. I think I'll take a break on this and start working more on the blockout now.
    tS8iK6R.jpg
  • Nicky_5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    After a couple hours of work today I came up with a the first pass for the temple blockout. I combined alot of reference assets and concepts that have been brewing up and made a basic layout of what the temple shape should consist of. The giant ring around the top of the temple will be supported by columns eventually. Before I do anything solid with this design I need to know what can be added or improved or taken away. Would all you polycount users please hook me up with a quick little critique? Thanx all :poly136:
    jYDjzH4.jpg
  • Nicky_5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    threw some concepts together. still cant decide Square or Angular. theres a little tunnel concept for the ocean floor tell me what you think
    D2OMD55.jpg
  • Nicky_5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    some outfits for our protagonist
    HgHDjM0.jpg
  • specsowl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I've been working on the character today as well as the cliffside cave entrance. The level is coming together somewhat nicely. (yay)
    nSBbwMq.jpg
    xYJkZmw.jpg
  • Nicky_5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Went with the angular look.
    A2ytTsr.jpg
  • Nicky_5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Threw together a sample texture of what the temple will look like. Some baking issues had to be fixed in photoshop but didnt end up too bad.
    0kiP1G4.jpg
    hzsLqkf.jpg